Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Replacement Finally Coming? [CR1]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Quackator said:
Surpass the Sigma ART, or I'll keep my money.

Absence of CA wide open is nothing Canon's 50mm lenses are famous for.

You realize that this 50 f/1.4 is in a different class of lens than the Art, right? The future 50mm Canon lineup will be:

50mm f/1.8 STM -- the only sort-of-like-price competition here is Yongnuo.

50mm f/1.4 USM II (this thread's rumored lens) -- you could argue the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC is in this bucket

50mm f/1.?L USM -- a new L that likely will be a big retrofocal design / huge pickle jar; this will compete against the Arts and Otuses.

If you want an Art-killer, the lens in this rumor will not be it.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
1) How fast to focus is Nano USM vs. Micro USM vs. Ring USM? LensTip measures focusing speed, but it doesn't have either of the two nano USM lenses tested. What might we expect here on a 50? Faster than the micro USM? Slower adjustments but less hunting?

Just to join the chorus, I was very, very impressed by the Nano USM, the one time I got a chance to try it (an 18-135mm on an 80D).

Speed is definitely impressive. It felt almost instantaneous, at all focal lengths of the zoom, focusing from very close to infinity. Faster than any of my current lenses on any of my current cameras. I don't know how that generalizes to other implementations of Nano USM, and to use on other cameras, though ...

As for accuracy, I can't really tell, I would need more than a half hour with one camera. All I can say is that the focusing felt very decisive. No hunting, not even the minor split-second fine adjustment hunting before confirmation.

Bottom line, I'm personally very happy to hear that it will have Nano USM, looking forward to seeing it in action.

(Of course if you're into manual focusing, you're probably not as happy. If I'm not mistaken, Nano USM means focus by wire, unfortunately.)

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Quackator said:
Surpass the Sigma ART, or I'll keep my money.

Absence of CA wide open is nothing Canon's 50mm lenses are famous for.

You realize that this 50 f/1.4 is in a different class of lens than the Art, right? The future 50mm Canon lineup will be:

50mm f/1.8 STM -- the only sort-of-like-price competition here is Yongnuo.

50mm f/1.4 USM II (this thread's rumored lens) -- you could argue the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC is in this bucket

50mm f/1.?L USM -- a new L that likely will be a big retrofocal design / huge pickle jar; this will compete against the Arts and Otuses.

If you want an Art-killer, the lens in this rumor will not be it.

- A

Canon has 16-35mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, and 100mm lenses with IS, and Tamron has 45mm f/1.8 & 85mm f/1.8 with VC. It would be strange if Canon wouldn't make 50mm & 85mm primes with IS.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I had the 50 1.4 for many years. I really enjoyed it. I thought it produced beautiful images. Yes not very sharp at 1.4 but okay sharp wise. It gave a particular type of image, it made people and scenes look good. I replaced it with a 50 1.2 which I also like. It also gives a certain look. I'm not impacted by the focus breathing issue. I find it not an issue in real life shooting. Maybe if you are shooting focus targets you can see an impact. I'd be very surprised Canon bring out a 50 1.4 without IS.

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:
Who would have thought that World War III is more likely to happen sooner than the 50/1.4 II?
At least World War III will include an element with the initials IS.
One could wonder why japanese decision makers have problems making major obvious decisions after decades, when one american decision maker alone can come up with major decisions (although dumb) on a daily basis.

Priceless ;D

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
uri.raz said:
Canon has 16-35mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, and 100mm lenses with IS, and Tamron has 45mm f/1.8 & 85mm f/1.8 with VC. It would be strange if Canon wouldn't make 50mm & 85mm primes with IS.

As has been pointed out a few times elsewhere, I agree with you, but you just amalgamated a host of different types and timeframes of lenses into one 'Canon will probably do X' sort of statement -- L, zoom, macro, non-L, etc.

See the chart below. Recall the 24/slow 28/35 were their own little standalone non-L family of lenses, and yes, they all got updated to get IS. But there is another family of non-L primes, the 20/fast 28/50/85/100 that had USM of some sort. Canon has not yet replaced a single one of those. I, too, think they should get IS, but this rumor would imply otherwise.

- A

Attachments

• Canon Primes.jpg
    Canon Primes.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 776
Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
Good grief. Why won't Canon simply produce a 50mm f/1.x IS prime with true Ring USM and be done with it already? I know, they have market research and development pipelines & priorities and revenue / profit optimization objectives and all that, but this seems like such a no-brainer.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Antono Refa said:
Hector1970 said:
What would you do with an LCD display on a lens?
What would it display?
Would it measure focal length accurately if it were a zoom?
I assume in this case the LCD would tell you aperture / shutter speed - anything else?

See here.

So on a prime lens, without IS, it would show...just what a physical distance window already shows. Except if you're shooting in the cold, when the LCD stops working. Useful. ::)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
JonAustin said:
Good grief. Why won't Canon simply produce a 50mm f/1.x IS prime with true Ring USM and be done with it already? I know, they have market research and development pipelines & priorities and revenue / profit optimization objectives and all that, but this seems like such a no-brainer.

I do not know.

One can certainly speculate, though. There's a legitimate shout that a 50 f/1.4 IS USM -- with modern/reliable/no surprises AF as solid as the 24/28/35 IS refreshes -- would steal L business. A non-L IS refresh won't win awards for IQ or compete with the Arts and Otuses, but a new non-L would mop the floor with the 50L for resolution. That plus a modern/reliable/fast AF setup might tempt some photographers normally swimming in L waters to have a look.

Think of it as someone opting for a very nicely spec'd brand new Toyota to replace their aging but luxurious Lexus.

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
Antono Refa said:
Hector1970 said:
What would you do with an LCD display on a lens?
What would it display?
Would it measure focal length accurately if it were a zoom?
I assume in this case the LCD would tell you aperture / shutter speed - anything else?

See here.

So on a prime lens, without IS, it would show...just what a physical distance window already shows. Except if you're shooting in the cold, when the LCD stops working. Useful. ::)

Attachments

• 12188063.jpg
    12188063.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 693
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:

It could also give you emotional support:

"That shot looks nice."
"You can do it!"
"Today is the day you give up chimping. I believe in you."

Or Canon marketing hypnosis:

"You like focus by wire. It's amazing. Precise mechanical things are for doodooheads."
"f/4 is the new f/2.8 -- high ISO ftw, amirite?"
"Cropped 4K is like an Instagram filter for your video. No one will know how you shot this. Nice."
"So a Nikon 1 walks into the cantina in Mos Eisley: "Feel the force? I can hardly sensor!""

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:

It could also give you emotional support:

"That shot looks nice."
"You can do it!"
"Today is the day you give up chimping. I believe in you."

Or Canon marketing hypnosis:

"You like focus by wire. It's amazing. Precise mechanical things are for doodooheads."
"f/4 is the new f/2.8 -- high ISO ftw, amirite?"
"Cropped 4K is like an Instagram filter for your video. No one will know how you shot this. Nice."

How innovative. ;)

I was thinking more like...

"Subject Distance: 8 ft. Approx. DoF: 8 in."

But I like the idea of meaningless platitudes better...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
IglooEater said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
The optical formula for 50mm lenses has not changed for for over 100 years. The double gauss lens was invented in the 1800's, and has not changed a lot since.

I think you'll find the Sigma 50mm Art is a reverse telephoto design. (Retrofocal)

That is exactly what I said, to improve performance, you must add more elements and move into the much higher priced "L" category. The Sigma Art is not a low cost consumer grade lens.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Optically & mechanically the two lenses Canon has to pay homage too are the Zeiss 55mm f1.4 Otus and the Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art. Clearly Canon will not be putting a 50mm f1.4 lens out at the Otus price point but this lens proves lens designs can be improved and is the very best full frame 50mm available. The Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art shows just how much Canon has neglected its 50mm f1.4 offering and they should at least match its optical abilities (something they have not done with their new 24-105mm f4L II even though its better than the previous lens regarding CAs).
For a company of Canon size a new 50mm f1.4 is long overdue lets hope its worth the wait.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
IglooEater said:
The optical formula for 50mm lenses has not changed for for over 100 years. The double gauss lens was invented in the 1800's, and has not changed a lot since.

I think you'll find the Sigma 50mm Art is a reverse telephoto design. (Retrofocal)

That is exactly what I said, to improve performance, you must add more elements and move into the much higher priced "L" category. The Sigma Art is not a low cost consumer grade lens.

I still don't get why people don't get this. There is a Double Gauss 50mm IQ level and a Big Pickle Jar Retrofocus 50mm IQ level. (Throw prices out for a moment, Sigma will spoil any comparison there.)

I see the 50L scaling up in size something fierce to go after the best wide open IQ. But this new EF 50 f/1.4 USM II isn't about that -- I expect the lens to remain double gauss and quite small.

- A

Attachments

• 50 1.4 USM is not up against the Art.jpg
    50 1.4 USM is not up against the Art.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0