Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

As tests show the RP's UHS II slot is faster than CF, it's high time Canon replaced the 2nd CF slot with SD.
How timely - I just damaged my CF slot and had to get it repaired. Something got into the slot when I had the card out and when I tried to put the card back in I bent a number of pins - it took almost no force to do the damage. No doubt this is entirely my fault, but I'm ready for a more robust option and willing to replace my memory to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
this makes this spec list a little bit unbelievable, because why would they offer 10fps if their focusing system cant really keep up at that pace. seems counterproductive.

Tell that to the 1D Mark III… Or the original 7D, even. The number of AF points doesn't have that much to do with how well the focusing system "can keep up".

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

Looks like a big step up from the 80D and actually surpasses the vaunted D500 in many major aspects unless anyone gives a darn about number of AF points.
It surpasses the 7D MII by quite a bit and looks like 7D type of specs with dual Digic and dual slots as well as 10FPS especially with the high res sensor.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
Looks like a big step up from the 80D and actually surpasses the vaunted D500 in many major aspects ...

No it does not.

... unless anyone gives a darn about number of AF points.

For anybody that needs an action camera with (1) fast initial acquisation, (2) good tracking of erratically moving subjects and (3) still accomplish this under less-than-ideal circumstances, the number of AF-points really matters. And it also matters that they are all cross-type. And it also matters at what apertures (max and min) they still produce good outputs, i.e. that make a noticeable difference for firmware to work with.

It surpasses the 7D MII by quite a bit ... .

No it does not.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Not enough AF points. The 7D3 would need quite a lot more of them and a lot more of the cross type.
Given that this is supposed to be a merge with the 80D/90D, then a slight dumbing down is to be expected. Reasonable from a 2015 A.D. perspective. Not so hot in 2019. The M5 Mk II might have to be the savior.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
With all this cry about more focus points, I’d like to bet that most buyers don’t need them, because they’re not shooting “action”. Canon is likely aware of who is buying their products. They seem to be better at this than other companies, which is why they’re on top. Without knowing sales numbers of the 7D vs the 80D, we can only speculate according to what we think is right, but it might not be.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
My two cents:

Beware of CR1 rumors.

If this is correct, it does leave little room for a 7DIII, so if it comes to pass, I will expect there won't be a 7DIII. (Insert Sad Face Emoji here)

Combining the two lines was always going to present a problem for Canon, since 80D users won't want to give up the articulated screen and 7DII users don't want to give up controls that can't fit on a body with an articulated screen. I'm hoping that Canon does find a way to retain at least some of those controls.

More fps is always nice, but 10 is certainly adequate (even though it feels slow after using a 1DxII).

Autofocus point quantity is less important than quality of the autofocus system. A stop backward will be a deal breaker for me. Point spread is also more important than quantity of points.

Price point is very attractive, but that makes me worried about what Canon will cut from the 7D.

I'm not that worried about a slight drop in weather sealing. I don't push my look with the cameras anyway and use a cover in bad weather.

For my wife, who shoot with the 80D, this will be a great step up, especially with the additional fps and added resolution. For me, a step down from the 7D and might make me just stick to the 5D and 1D and keep using the 7D II in good light.

Now, in my fantasy world, this would mean a 7DIII with Cfast and SD slots, 14 fps, state of the art autofocus, 28mp sensor, etc. etc., but that is only a fantasy.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Those specs look a bit too good to be true. It would be a fairly large step up from the 80D (even if not that interesting an offering for current 7D2 users). The dual card slots and processors I’m especially dubious of, given the price bracket. But I guess even Canon could surprise us every once in a while.
Let's not forget that the price bracket is right in line with the tougher D500 and the 7D Mark II is also available for even less and it will probably decrease further, so it makes sense to equip it with dual card slots (there is also sufficient space for it on a DSLR)

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I think the model numbers are going to be recycled more, "80D ii" is more likely than "90D" because otherwise they're about to run out of increment-by-ten numbers.
I don’t see the problem. They can, at least go to 100. Then it could be either 110, 120, etc., or 200, 300, etc.

Nikon has had no problems with 800, 810 and 850. It’s just a number.

Upvote 0