Canon EOS-M has been quietly discontinued

Jun 29, 2016
Canon dipped its toe into the mirrorless world with the EOS-M back in July 2012, over 11 years ago. Today quietly, Canon Japan has all the EOS-M cameras as being discontinued, a sign from the world’s largest camera manufacturer that the system is no longer available. We all knew that Canon would stop developing the

See full article...
I've said it long ago, once you have a line of mirror-less cameras, there is no point in holding two lines that are similar in many ways but differ in all manufacturing and design. Once Canon developed the RF-S line, there is no need, commercially, to continue with the M line. The R10 and those that will follow will be as light, as cheap, use any RF glass and more, since many featured are now software based, they will benefit from the high-end cameras such as the R5,3,1 much faster than before.

Upvote 0
Also, above else the problem here is how Canon handled the situation and their lack of honesty about the matter. The difference between the quote from the March DPReview's article and reality as of today is just :eek::mad::poop:
Where is the "lack of honesty"? Did you expect a press release to Reuters?
At some point, Canon was going to sunset the product. It was inevitable. The public statement about supporting it until there wasn't [commercially reasonable] demand was probably correct. 6 months is a long time with product lifecycle and it was clear that new products haven't been released for a long time.

I'm not getting the indignation and "outrage" around this.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I fully agree with @Richard CR. And even if you only consider the people from this quote and your estimates are correct, this is still too many people. Not to mention also those waiting for a certain firmware fix/update or for a specific lens that was ought to come because they thought the system had a future, but will never come.
Firmware updates for the EOS M system? Have there ever been any? I don’t recall seeing any. As for ‘a specific lens that ought to come’, lol. Just lol. I really should stop being surprised by some peoples’ sense of entitlement these days.

Also, above else the problem here is how Canon handled the situation and their lack of honesty about the matter. The difference between the quote from the March DPReview's article and reality as of today is just :eek::mad::poop:
At the beginning of this year, M50 II kits were consistently in BCN’s top 10, as at least one M-series kit (usually 2-4) has been every month for the past several years. But for the past two quarters, M-series bodies have fallen out of the top 10, replaced by R-series bodies. That started soon after Canon launched the R50…what an amazing coincidence!

Sorry to pop your little bubble of righteousness, but Canon did exactly as they stated: “There are customers who wish to have their camera smaller and lighter, and that demand is still strong. As long as these demands persist in the market, we will continue to support and intend to continue the M system.” Obviously Canon has their own global sales data, but based on BCN the demand for M-series bodies has weakened, and there is stronger demand for the very slightly larger (but not necessarily heavier) R-series bodies. Thus, there’s no longer a driver to continue the M series.

You can cry foul and :eek::mad::poop: all you like, and @Richard CR can complain in a more erudite manner, but Canon was not being dishonest. They said they'd continue the M series while market demand remained strong, and that is no longer the case. Sure, there are many individuals who want the M series to continue. I happen to be one of them. But Canon is a for-profit business, they don't care about individual wants, they care about what the market is buying and will buy in the future, specifically in terms of how they can best profit by that.

The market has now shown that there is more demand for the R50 than for the M50 II. The R50 is not as small as the M50 II, but it's small enough (and lighter, too). Canon is responding exactly as they said they would, by no longer continuing the M series now that demand is waning. You may not like it, but any lack of honesty about it is on your part. People see and hear what they want to see and hear.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I fully agree with @Richard CR. And even if you only consider the people from this quote and your estimates are correct, this is still too many people. Not to mention also those waiting for a certain firmware fix/update or for a specific lens that was ought to come because they thought the system had a future, but will never come.

Sorry, but I feel differently.
Canon is very market driven.
If the M system had outsold the R system then Canon would have kept it around.
I do not think it was dead when the R system was introduced.
Frankly, I believe people claiming it was dead was what helped kill it.
I did not even think it was dead when the R7 and R10 were introduced.
I knew it was dead when the R50 was introduced.
I still do not think Canon went about it the right way but they went the way the market told them to.
Canon is out to make money.
They happen to also make cameras.
People seem to have that backward.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
The way Canon handled this is outrageous imho.
I can't help thinking that they could have been much more open and honest about their intentions.
Key sentence from that quote:
"As long as these demands persist in the market..."

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sorry, but I feel differently.
Canon is very market driven.
If the M system had outsold the R system then Canon would have kept it around.
I knew it was dead when the R50 was introduced.
I still do not think Canon went about it the right way but they went the way the market told them to.
Canon is out to make money.
They happen to also make cameras.
People seem to have that backward.
Some people simply refuse to accept reality.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
One thing that APS-C RF doesn't have yet is a camera without a viewfinder, I know some on here enjoy the portability of the M6 II.
I have the EVF for the M6/M6II. What I find ironic is that I grew up shooting film, and typically don't use the add-on EVF whereas my teenage daughter, who grew up in the iPhone generation, uses the EVF routinely.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021

You're welcome to have these feelings, but I wonder if you read the part of the article that said:

"This interview was conducted with multiple people through an interpreter. As such, it has been edited for clarity and flow, and some responses have been combined."

It's important to note that Japanese language and culture is very different from what most people are accustomed to. This means, it's not uncommon for a Japanese person to say positive things in a stronger or direct way while being vague or ambiguous about negative things. It can easily lead to misunderstandings between English and Japanese speakers. As I'm sure everyone is aware, sometimes people attempt to get a job they are unqualified for. While I don't say this must be exactly what happened, consider: DPREVIEW had already made their announcement and it would not be difficult to understand for a person to select an interpreter with less care than normal given their situation.

So, we can chose to feel upset or we can temper our feelings knowing that a mistake was possible.

Upvote 0

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023
And how many people bought a T7 in the last couple years and are now stuck with it for five years or more until they can afford to upgrade because "experts" steered them away from the M50, which likely would have been a much better camera for them for all that time? People usually buy something like an ILC because they have a current or imminent need for it. They should get the one that's currently available and best suits their current and known future needs that is within their price range. If there are two comparable models and one seems like it will offer more expansion options in the future than the other, then by all means that is the one they should get. But sacrificing current performance for a possibly wider future makes no sense to me. (And yes, that means I have no trouble recommending the R50 over the M50 for many people today, though there are still some for whom I would recommend the M50 if they can get it and the lenses they need. That's a fluid situation, though, of course.)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
You're welcome to have these feelings, but I wonder if you read the part of the article that said:

It's important to note that Japanese language and culture is very different from what most people are accustomed to. This means, it's not uncommon for a Japanese person to say positive things in a stronger or direct way while being vague or ambiguous about negative things. It can easily lead to misunderstandings between English and Japanese speakers. As I'm sure everyone is aware, sometimes people attempt to get a job they are unqualified for. While I don't say this must be exactly what happened, consider: DPREVIEW had already made their announcement and it would not be difficult to understand for a person to select an interpreter with less care than normal given their situation.

So, we can chose to feel upset or we can temper our feelings knowing that a mistake was possible.
I really hate it when people parse words and phrases from translated articles as if they were gospel and even make more connotations.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I really hate it when people parse words and phrases from translated articles as if they were gospel and even make more connotations.
You can feel what you want. However, unless you are a native Japanese or know a duel language speaker who has heard or read the untranslated and unedited interview, it's not really possible to know if our interpretation is what was intended. I prefer not to make uninformed judgements that will give me negative feelings, but it's up to you.

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2022
Firmware updates for the EOS M system? Have there ever been any? I don’t recall seeing any. As for ‘a specific lens that ought to come’, lol. Just lol. I really should stop being surprised by some peoples’ sense of entitlement these days.

At the beginning of this year, M50 II kits were consistently in BCN’s top 10, as at least one M-series kit (usually 2-4) has been every month for the past several years. But for the past two quarters, M-series bodies have fallen out of the top 10, replaced by R-series bodies. That started soon after Canon launched the R50…what an amazing coincidence!

Sorry to pop your little bubble of righteousness, but Canon did exactly as they stated: “There are customers who wish to have their camera smaller and lighter, and that demand is still strong. As long as these demands persist in the market, we will continue to support and intend to continue the M system.” Obviously Canon has their own global sales data, but based on BCN the demand for M-series bodies has weakened, and there is stronger demand for the very slightly larger (but not necessarily heavier) R-series bodies. Thus, there’s no longer a driver to continue the M series.

You can cry foul and :eek::mad::poop: all you like, and @Richard CR can complain in a more erudite manner, but Canon was not being dishonest. They said they'd continue the M series while market demand remained strong, and that is no longer the case. Sure, there are many individuals who want the M series to continue. I happen to be one of them. But Canon is a for-profit business, they don't care about individual wants, they care about what the market is buying and will buy in the future, specifically in terms of how they can best profit by that.

The market has now shown that there is more demand for the R50 than for the M50 II. The R50 is not as small as the M50 II, but it's small enough (and lighter, too). Canon is responding exactly as they said they would, by no longer continuing the M series now that demand is waning. You may not like it, but any lack of honesty about it is on your part. People see and hear what they want to see and hear.
First, it is your right to share a different opinion than mine, but less so to be cynical and condescendent. I've been a long time reader and that's not the first time I see you coming at people as if you were the one and only to have a valuable opinion here.

If you had carefully read what I wrote, you should know that I don't like or dislike anything regarding the M-system as I stated in the first place that I was never involved in that system.

Your argument "the EOS-M system has fallen out of the BCN ranking so the M-system deserved this" is a weak argument. Do you really assess the viability of a whole system over the last 6 months only? With that logic of yours, Apple should have ceased the development of any new Watch after the first one. Also, you can make the opposite argument: the M-system fell out of the ranking because Canon did not release anything new. If they had, there may have been a "persistent demand" from customers.

C'mon, let's just face it: Canon has had the intention to scrap the EOS-M system for a while, maybe as soon as they started working on the RF mount. Are you really trying to make us believe that Canon has been a die-hard supporter of the EOS-M, but has just changed their mind?

I admire @Richard CR for posting something that he knew he was about to get roasted by some... but still did it.

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2022

Hopefully, the interpreter is well aware of all these. That's kinda part of their job. Imagine how that would be in the UN or EU council. I really hope they have good interpreters. Maybe they don't and that's why there are so many issues

Upvote 0