Canon EOS R5 pricing is still unknown, don’t believe the reports [CR0]

I think we will probably see a price of $3799-$4199, the specs just seem too good relative to the competition and like others have said, the RF lenses are a bit more expensive than their EF counterparts. The exchange rate may help such that we see it below $4K, but seems to me that it's a whole lot of camera, giving everyone everything they have asked for. It just seems likely that they would expect to get some return on their efforts. Might have had a few hundred off for Black Friday or Christmas, but with the launch date pushed back, not counting on that, maybe if they need to get their quarterly numbers up, we might see a price dip, but I won't count on it, I want it for a trip next spring, so I will wait and watch.

As far as the virus, the damage is done, it has been more media hype and politics, which have worsened the problem. Forty percent (40%) of the deaths have been nursing home patients made exponentially worse when idiots like Cuomo forced them on the nursing homes, consequentially exposing the most vulnerable patients. We are seeing it moving to folks in their late 20's-early 30's where I live, primarily because they live with their 55-65 year old parents, and the prolonged exposure is resulting in the younger generation getting it. With traditional families of parents with elementary to high school kids, the kids would have had mild disease and developed a natural immunity, like with chicken pox, increasing herd immunity. As folks get back to work and there are no significant outbreaks, they will come to realize they were hoodwinked by Faux, Birx, Dems and MSM trying to inflict as much pain on people trying to keep Trump from getting a second term. When we didn't know what we were up against, caution was warranted, but as data points became available, we needed to shift policy, not double down on bad policy. I would watch how Sweden trends over the next 3 weeks. Isolating healthy people just keeps the potential reservoir number higher, herd immunity is what is required, and Sweden was projecting they will have achieved that next week, if their numbers tail off, that will reveal the virus' natural course. Personally I don't want a vaccine, those of you that remember Swine Flu in the 70's, significant problems with the vaccine, I don't want Guillain-Barre or something else, this is a viral respiratory disease, not polio, and I trust Sabin and Salk more than the folks at CDC currently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I am not sure about that. Buying power is at a low currently. And we may have a world wide recession.
Buying power is low but so is manufacturing capacity. It's taken up to now to get a 1DX III on the shelf and 'mirrorslappers' are definitely not the in demand tool they were. I expect demand to outstrip supply on the R5 for quite a while, even to the extent of Canon artificially restricting the supply to maintain the initial premium and to keep the hype going.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I honestly believe this is a marketing ploy, scare people into high prices and when it comes in at what the cost should be (5D type release price) it makes it look like a bargain.

I doubt retailers really want to scare anybody. They want to generate interest. They want to put a price out there rather than TBD. So the safe bet is to pick a number just below the 1DXIII. Lowering the price later won't be a problem. If they advertise a price that is too low now, they could have problems later, both with Canon and the customer.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
But does the exchange rate really matter? It seems that Canon would price for the region regardless of exchange rate. I don't see daily, weekly, or monthly fluctuations in prices at dealers because the exchange rate has changed.

People are always trying to guess pricing using exchange rates. It's ridiculous. Canon is a multinational company with multinational revenues and expenses. Product pricing has to include dozens, if not hundreds, of inputs including marketing, shipping, parts, labor, distribution, retailer profit, etc. etc. It's not like the cost of putting the camera together in Japan is the only or even the major expense for a camera. The employees of Canon USA are not paid in yen. The companies that ship the product to markets worldwide are not paid in yen. The truckers that deliver the product to B&H and Adorama are not paid in yen. The ads for the product are not purchased with yen. The retailers don't figure their profits in yen.

Exchange rate may not be totally irrelevant, but it's mostly irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
I'll through in my guess as well. I think it'll be $3999 USD. It is targeting the 5D segment (which has come down significantly but I'm comparing to when it was new selling for $3499 USD). I'd expect some upward price creep for the R5.

If it is higher than that, I suspect it will be due to limited availability but I think it'll sell settle at $3999.
$3999 is my prediction. This won’t be about Nikon. This will be the Sony killer.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
People are always trying to guess pricing using exchange rates. It's ridiculous. Canon is a multinational company with multinational revenues and expenses. Product pricing has to include dozens, if not hundreds, of inputs including marketing, shipping, parts, labor, distribution, retailer profit, etc. etc. It's not like the cost of putting the camera together in Japan is the only or even the major expense for a camera. The employees of Canon USA are not paid in yen. The companies that ship the product to markets worldwide are not paid in yen. The truckers that deliver the product to B&H and Adorama are not paid in yen. The ads for the product are not purchased with yen. The retailers don't figure their profits in yen.

Exchange rate may not be totally irrelevant, but it's mostly irrelevant.
I agree. I once worked for Korean Circuits of America. My pay did not fluctuate with exchange rates. I was paid what the market was for my area. I assume that prices for Japanese products sold in the USA are based on what the market will bear here in the USA regardless of the exchange rate. Exchanging currencies while traveling from one country to another is something completely different. I believe that product pricing in one country has little, if anything, to do with exchange rates. Am I supposed to believe that an RF 85mm f/1.2L would be $5k in the USA if the dollar slides? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I think we will probably see a price of $3799-$4199, the specs just seem too good relative to the competition and like others have said, the RF lenses are a bit more expensive than their EF counterparts. The exchange rate may help such that we see it below $4K, but seems to me that it's a whole lot of camera, giving everyone everything they have asked for. It just seems likely that they would expect to get some return on their efforts. Might have had a few hundred off for Black Friday or Christmas, but with the launch date pushed back, not counting on that, maybe if they need to get their quarterly numbers up, we might see a price dip, but I won't count on it, I want it for a trip next spring, so I will wait and watch.

As far as the virus, the damage is done, it has been more media hype and politics, which have worsened the problem. Forty percent (40%) of the deaths have been nursing home patients made exponentially worse when idiots like Cuomo forced them on the nursing homes, consequentially exposing the most vulnerable patients. We are seeing it moving to folks in their late 20's-early 30's where I live, primarily because they live with their 55-65 year old parents, and the prolonged exposure is resulting in the younger generation getting it. With traditional families of parents with elementary to high school kids, the kids would have had mild disease and developed a natural immunity, like with chicken pox, increasing herd immunity. As folks get back to work and there are no significant outbreaks, they will come to realize they were hoodwinked by Faux, Birx, Dems and MSM trying to inflict as much pain on people trying to keep Trump from getting a second term. When we didn't know what we were up against, caution was warranted, but as data points became available, we needed to shift policy, not double down on bad policy. I would watch how Sweden trends over the next 3 weeks. Isolating healthy people just keeps the potential reservoir number higher, herd immunity is what is required, and Sweden was projecting they will have achieved that next week, if their numbers tail off, that will reveal the virus' natural course. Personally I don't want a vaccine, those of you that remember Swine Flu in the 70's, significant problems with the vaccine, I don't want Guillain-Barre or something else, this is a viral respiratory disease, not polio, and I trust Sabin and Salk more than the folks at CDC currently.
Wow! Just drink some Clorox and it will all be okay.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
We generally do not discuss politics here. You should take that somewhere else. This IS NOT a global conspiracy against Trump and is not a hoax. If it is a hoax, then Trump has bought into it hook, line and sinker to the tune of trillions of $. Just knock it off. In fact, get the heck out of here with that B.S. I come to this website to get away from crazy $%$T like that! I live in Texas, a very conservative state. We shut down too. So stop with the Liberal vs Conservative conspiracy crap. BTW: Trump is no conservative. If you think he is, then you aren't either. He's just an ignorant jack wagon. Unfortunately, I voted for him in 2016. He's been an embarrassment all along. He won't get our vote in 2020. He has ZERO class whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
We generally do not discuss politics here. You should take that somewhere else. This IS NOT a global conspiracy against Trump and is not a hoax. If it is a hoax, then Trump has bought into it hook, line and sinker to the tune of trillions of $. Just knock it off. In fact, get the heck out of here with that B.S. I come to this website to get away from crazy $%$T like that! I live in Texas, a very conservative state. We shut down too. So stop with the Liberal vs Conservative conspiracy crap. BTW: Trump is no conservative. If you think he is, then you aren't either. He's just an ignorant jack wagon. Unfortunately, I voted for him in 2016. He's been an embarrassment all along. He won't get our vote in 2020. He has ZERO class whatsoever.
Save your breath. You can't fix stupid...

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
$3999 is my prediction. This won’t be about Nikon. This will be the Sony killer.

My guess is $3500.00

And the reasoning, similar to where the 5DSR and 5D mk iv soid, but I think Canon's RF lenses are priced high enough to bring the body down lower and gain ground with lens sales.

I wouldn't call it a Sony Killer .. but I think it's going to slam the brakes on Sony sales enough to see cracks in the windshield from a head bash.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I would watch how Sweden trends over the next 3 weeks. Isolating healthy people just keeps the potential reservoir number higher, herd immunity is what is required, and Sweden was projecting they will have achieved that next week, if their numbers tail off, that will reveal the virus' natural course. Personally I don't want a vaccine, those of you that remember Swine Flu in the 70's, significant problems with the vaccine, I don't want Guillain-Barre or something else, this is a viral respiratory disease, not polio, and I trust Sabin and Salk more than the folks at CDC currently.

You can make statistics support any argument. Sweden has twice the mortality per population than the similarly sized and financed Switzerland, why would anybody hold up Sweden as an example for citizens health?

Personally I have been very fortunate in this whole thing but for those professing it was a huge overreaction by the lefties/cabal's/anti whoevers, I'd try saying that to the loved ones of the over 320,000 people who have died. I'd also like a decent explanation as to why in the richest country in the history of mankind that has less than 4% of the worlds population they account for over 31% of the infections worldwide even with the severe under testing, and if that country has the greatest health care system in the world for it's citizens why does that <4% account for 29% of the worlds fatalities?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020

I agree with the 1st half of your comment, Canon are in a difficult position as with the R5 specs, it is a similar proposition to the 1DX MK111 but if they price it accordingly, it won't sell but as a '5D mkiv' mirrorless replacement, the normal 5D MKIV $3500 ish price level is probably underpriced so with the current and medium financial future so uncertain, we will have to wait and see what they decide, will they price for selling loads or price for what it is and only sell low number?
I have to say the 2nd half of your comment would be better placed on a political forum and has no place on this site. I'm sure we all have our own thoughts on how respective governments have or have not performed but the Canonrumors site isn't the place to express them sorry, just saying.

Upvote 0

XL+

When nothing is going right, go left
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2016
recently: The Tyrol, Austria
I have the A7RIV and 5D IV - with the specs we know so far i can see the R5 to be priced SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the A7RIV.
Given the specs we know so far, the R5 will be MUCH more powerful than the A7RIV (which is a capable camera, but certainly has its shortcomings).
The resolution of the A7 is a bit higher (though in real life this isnt as important as people think. Its very difficult to actual get images that are THAT sharp, to actualy take advantage of the 60mpixel. You need an incredible sharp lense and ideal conditions to get an actualy tack sharp image with so many pixels). But besides that, the R5 appears to be MUCH more advanced. The Video features are without doubt 2 generations ahead (even if we only consider the allready officialy noted features) and the 20fps with 45mpixel are also realy impressive on the photo-side and much better than the A7 with 10fps. And that leaves "meta" features aside, like a bad menu system, mediocre battery life, smaller lense selection, noteable worse skin colors, faster and wider service, a slow and unsharp viewfinder and display, bad ergonomics, dust collecting sensor and a smaller 3rd party accessoires selection. Dont get me wrong, the A7R IV is quite some amazing camera with a realy impressive AF system and Sensor - but its not as incredible and versatile as youtuber keeps telling us ;-)
I think the R5 may have the chance to replace a lot of photocameras in all kinds of works AND a lot of videocameras. It has the potential to be next allround-camera that the 5D II was once. In this position it can be worth quite a LOT of money.
6700$ is certainly to high, but I think a higher pricing than the A7RIV is certainly justified. Given that its very likely to be a way more capable photocamera and MUCH more powerful videocamera as well.
Hmmm, as an owner and user of the 1DXII, 5D4, 7R4, I do not think the R5 will be the "all in one"-camera. Canon would never cut theirsales of their incredible video bodies. The R5 will be the Canon "7R4", with some improvements, but also some shortcomings. The Sony has an fantastic AF system, birding is a dream with this body. But it has more noise the the 1DXII and also as the 5DIV when you go above 800 Iso - (but double the MP). The benefit of the Af system is the faster tracking when there is an inconsistent backgroung like trees, sand, rocks.
8k is nice. But who honestly needs it today? It will take some years, the TV and display producing companies will introduce 8k in the mainstream. Some enthusiasts will be happy with it. But for the mainstream even FHD will be good for them.
I do not believe Canon will put the R5´s price about 3999$. This will be a little bit under 5000€ in Europe.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Hmmm, as an owner and user of the 1DXII, 5D4, 7R4, I do not think the R5 will be the "all in one"-camera. Canon would never cut theirsales of their incredible video bodies. The R5 will be the Canon "7R4", with some improvements, but also some shortcomings. The Sony has an fantastic AF system, birding is a dream with this body. But it has more noise the the 1DXII and also as the 5DIV when you go above 800 Iso - (but double the MP). The benefit of the Af system is the faster tracking when there is an inconsistent backgroung like trees, sand, rocks.
8k is nice. But who honestly needs it today? It will take some years, the TV and display producing companies will introduce 8k in the mainstream. Some enthusiasts will be happy with it. But for the mainstream even FHD will be good for them.
I do not believe Canon will put the R5´s price about 3999$. This will be a little bit under 5000€ in Europe.
++++ 8k is nice. But who honestly needs it today?

8K is useful for zooming and panning.
I am not claiming to be a videographer myself but had a number of conversations with pros re usefulness of 8K zooming and panning and takeaway from these conversations is: yes, very useful. hard to overestimate.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You can make statistics support any argument. Sweden has twice the mortality per population than the similarly sized and financed Switzerland, why would anybody hold up Sweden as an example for citizens health?

Personally I have been very fortunate in this whole thing but for those professing it was a huge overreaction by the lefties/cabal's/anti whoevers, I'd try saying that to the loved ones of the over 320,000 people who have died. I'd also like a decent explanation as to why in the richest country in the history of mankind that has less than 4% of the worlds population they account for over 31% of the infections worldwide even with the severe under testing, and if that country has the greatest health care system in the world for it's citizens why does that <4% account for 29% of the worlds fatalities?
Well said!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well said. We don't discuss politics here but stupidity once aired has to be answered clearly and firmly.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Just skimming some of the chatter here and other places about pricing. Forgive me if it’s been said.

This is not a normal financial crisis where an economic slowdown has left people holding excess inventory and underutilized production capacity. We aren’t going to produce our way out of it and have excess supply to basically give away. All that talk is just people hoping to get something on the cheap that they normally couldn’t afford.

Production has been halted in many places. It won’t be cheap to ramp back up (outside of the cost for oil right now). Ramp up will be slow. Supply will be limited. And if demand is high from professionals, there will be a waiting list to receive.

I’m no photographer, but just eyeballIng the specs, this will be $4,000 - $4,500. Maybe as high as $5,000. There will still be delays in filling orders.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Just skimming some of the chatter here and other places about pricing. Forgive me if it’s been said.

This is not a normal financial crisis where an economic slowdown has left people holding excess inventory and underutilized production capacity. We aren’t going to produce our way out of it and have excess supply to basically give away. All that talk is just people hoping to get something on the cheap that they normally couldn’t afford.

Production has been halted in many places. It won’t be cheap to ramp back up (outside of the cost for oil right now). Ramp up will be slow. Supply will be limited. And if demand is high from professionals, there will be a waiting list to receive.

I’m no photographer, but just eyeballIng the specs, this will be $4,000 - $4,500. Maybe as high as $5,000. There will still be delays in filling orders.
++++ And if demand is high from professionals,

A.M.: And if not, then what?

++++ I’m no photographer, but just eyeballIng the specs, this will be $4,000 - $4,500. Maybe as high as $5,000

A.M.: is that based on your industry experience, track record of similar projects or being an industry insider?
How did you arrive at the number? Please enlighten me.

++++ All that talk is just people hoping to get something on the cheap that they normally couldn’t afford.
A.M.: Not at all. it is just that paying $5000 for a Canon 5 series is not a great idea.

Upvote 0