Canon EOS R5 pricing is still unknown, don’t believe the reports [CR0]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Yesterday a price for the upcoming Canon EOS R5 was “leaked” by an Australian retailer. The price listed was $10,499 AUD. What does that work out to in other currencies?

$6700 USD
$9500 CAD
€6200 Euro
£5500 pounds

We’ve seen the instances of a store putting a random price on a listing for the Canon EOS R5 in Europe and then watched it spread around rumors sites and forums as something real. The price wasn’t real then, and it isn’t real now.
The retailer in question has taken the $10,499 AUD pricing down and now lists a $200 AUD deposit for the Canon EOS R5, and at the same time admits they don’t have a clue what the pricing will be.
Lots of sites did some pretty good free advertising for them.
Once I know the official pricing, I’ll let you know. I highly doubt anyone is going to know this information until the week of the official announcement.
There are only two sites I’d trust with pricing before the official announcement, Nokishita who usually gets Yen pricing and well, this...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Not in a million years is it that expensive. Canon has made some gaffes, but they're not that daft to say it's targeting the 5-series market then price it double what that line typically charges. My guess is $4,499 at launch. After a couple months then it'll be selling at $4,199 or even $3,999.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

The pricing will also depend on what the Nikon Z8 is spec'ed and priced at. Canon don't operate in a vacuum and will price the R5 inline with what it expects all the wedding and events photographers are willing to pay and what their competitor is charging for their D850 replacement. I am certainly not expecting it priced with a 1D body, it does not have 1d body specs.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The pricing will also depend on what the Nikon Z8 is spec'ed and priced at. Canon don't operate in a vacuum and will price the R5 inline with what it expects all the wedding and events photographers are willing to pay and what their competitor is charging for their D850 replacement. I am certainly not expecting it priced with a 1D body, it does not have 1d body specs.
Canon doesn't price anything like Nikon. It's marketed to the 5D market. Canon management has already stated that it is a 5D mk 5 mirrorless. Which leaves a huge price window.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
For me the only question on price is whether I get the R5 and a 28-70 or just the R5. If it's between 3500-4000, I'm grabbing a 28-70 as my first RF lens, but any higher and the 28-70's just gonna have to wait until 2021. Almost jumped on a like-new 28-70 for $2200, but really need to know how much the R5 is before making that decision.

If they do price it anywhere near the 1-series, the R5 better beat my 1DX mark II for sports, that's for sure.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Personally, I’m going to wait and see what both R5 and R6 turn out as. Price wise for the R5 I am hoping £3600 which is A7 R4 territory, but it could be more of a A7 9 II price of 4.5K, guess we will need to wait and see.

I think it is a hard one to guess which such a high spec and with possibly game changing features.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Yes I would think given the current market, pricing above $4000 would significantly limit purchases. I shoot sports and portraits mostly (and vacation landscapes) so I was hoping for an all-rounder like a 5D. I passed on the 5DIV and saved my pennies in anticipation of a technological leap with an R or 1DX3. I know I would more likely invest in the R5 at this price point and get an RF lens along with it. Pricing this at the 1DX3 level pricing, would really make me pause as I don't really care about video. I don't want the R6's 20mp as I was hoping for the 40mp crop ability. At least the 1DX3, I have assured low light ability and a tank of a camera to use with my EF lenses. I guess we all get to do, what we have been doing....waiting.....

Upvote 0

max

Jul 20, 2010
I'm still thinking that maybe as the dollar is 20% stronger to the yen that it was in 2017 and before that maybe the price could fall in the 3500USD range.

even 2900 USD is close to the same amount of yen as 3500USD 2 years ago... (close, don't take the financial analysis too seriously as there is inflation and other factors).

Upvote 0
Any thoughts on the quickest way to get an R5 once they become available? Do I pre-order through a big national site like Adorama or a local camera store chain where I've been buying cameras and lenses for the past 7 or 8 years? My preference is generally to support local camera stores, but I would really like to get my hands on an R5 by early Fall, if possible.

Upvote 0
My guess is 4000 $ in the USA and 4500 € in Germany ... I would like to go two-identical-bodies again ... so no chance with R5.
Maybe the R6 is better suited for me if it is a low light beast with its 20 MPix plus has excellent Full HD and very good 4k video.
Plus a better chance that R6 and RP (which I own) are ergonomically more similar than R5 and RP.

Upvote 0
The RF glass Already has a premium price.
pricing the R bodies competitively will give them the edge. I hope they don’t make the mistake of slapping a ridiculous price tag on the R5 as that would hamper sales.They need to setup their game like the lower end R6 only get 20MP in an era of 24MP bodies.
and phones that are setting the bar higher and higher.

Upvote 0

SpaceGhost

Canon 1DX
Jul 19, 2012
Texas
I'll through in my guess as well. I think it'll be $3999 USD. It is targeting the 5D segment (which has come down significantly but I'm comparing to when it was new selling for $3499 USD). I'd expect some upward price creep for the R5.

If it is higher than that, I suspect it will be due to limited availability but I think it'll sell settle at $3999.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0