Canon EOS R5 pricing is still unknown, don’t believe the reports [CR0]

Mar 25, 2011
Based on the agressive pricing that Canon has used for the R and the RP, it should be in the range of USD 2995-$3495, no more. Sales are dropping for digital Cameras, people don't have a lot to spend, and it costs only a few more $$ to make than a R, plenty of profit so a high volume of sales is what they want. They have already said that they want to get lots of cameras out there, because they drive sales of the much more profitable lenses.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It is a 1DX Spec camera
It isn't though. No matching card slots (-> also no unlimited buffer if you write to both cards), no 16 FPS mechanical shutter*, no vertical grip, likely inferior ruggedness, different connectivity... Not to mention, for some folks not having an OVF is a total no go.

There’s a good chance the R5 won't have GPS either.

*EDIT: Actually, that's the wrong comparison. The 16 FPS is for the entire mirror assembly, the shutter itself is actually 20 FPS in the 1DX III. So, almost twice as fast and likely still more durable than the one in the R5.

The R5 is a throughput monster. And it looks like Canon for once doesn't hold back on the abilities that brings to the table. But they still called it the R5 (As in 5 series pricing and segment) and said they want to target a broad customer base with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
My guess is 4200€ including vat in germany and first deliveries in october/november.

Though for me personaly even 5000€ would be worth it. I have a variety of 6-7 cameras in use for different photo and video-tasks that ALL could be replaced with 2-3 Canon R5s so I would even make some money with the switch, even if it was 5k per R4.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I still think it is going to be a pay-to-play situation for some of the video features. You buy the camera, probably for $3499 USD, and then if you want the fancy video features you pay extra.
Hm I dont think this is gonna be the case. The only time this happend was the 100$ Clog upgrade for the 5D. But this wasnt realy a regular "plan" and the cost was basicaly for the hardware changes that the service need to do on the camera. I think it will be all in.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
If they do price it anywhere near the 1-series, the R5 better beat my 1DX mark II for sports, that's for sure.
I think the R5 will even beat the 1DX III. At least the specs we know so far speak a very clear language.
Its faster, got a newer AF and offers a much higher resolution and more advanced video feauters. I also have the 1DX II but I have no doubt that the R5 will surpass it in pretty much every feature thats interesting for me :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I just can't see this thing being $6700 when the A7RIV is $3500.
I have the A7RIV and 5D IV - with the specs we know so far i can see the R5 to be priced SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the A7RIV.
Given the specs we know so far, the R5 will be MUCH more powerful than the A7RIV (which is a capable camera, but certainly has its shortcomings).
The resolution of the A7 is a bit higher (though in real life this isnt as important as people think. Its very difficult to actual get images that are THAT sharp, to actualy take advantage of the 60mpixel. You need an incredible sharp lense and ideal conditions to get an actualy tack sharp image with so many pixels). But besides that, the R5 appears to be MUCH more advanced. The Video features are without doubt 2 generations ahead (even if we only consider the allready officialy noted features) and the 20fps with 45mpixel are also realy impressive on the photo-side and much better than the A7 with 10fps. And that leaves "meta" features aside, like a bad menu system, mediocre battery life, smaller lense selection, noteable worse skin colors, faster and wider service, a slow and unsharp viewfinder and display, bad ergonomics, dust collecting sensor and a smaller 3rd party accessoires selection. Dont get me wrong, the A7R IV is quite some amazing camera with a realy impressive AF system and Sensor - but its not as incredible and versatile as youtuber keeps telling us ;-)
I think the R5 may have the chance to replace a lot of photocameras in all kinds of works AND a lot of videocameras. It has the potential to be next allround-camera that the 5D II was once. In this position it can be worth quite a LOT of money.
6700$ is certainly to high, but I think a higher pricing than the A7RIV is certainly justified. Given that its very likely to be a way more capable photocamera and MUCH more powerful videocamera as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
R5 - $3999.00
R6 - $2499.00

The S1H which in my opinion is the most similar to the R5 was $3999 at launch.
The S1 which in my opinion is the most similar to the R6 was $2499 at launch

No other cameras in my opinion are in Canon's league so to me it doesn't make sense to compare the R5's pricing to Sony, nor does it make sense to compare it to the 5D since everything is more expensive now including lenses. Inflation and the currency exchange rates alone today compared to when the 5D launched means this body really should be over $4000USD.

For those saying they can price it low and make up for it in volume...what volume? Dedicated cameras are targeting a rapidly shrinking pool of potential buyers, the only way Canon is going to make anything off of this camera is to price it appropriately ($4K+) and sell it on specs alone. If they really were going for "volume" the RF mount would be the same price as the EF mount lenses.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
The most important thing is: what IQ do we get for how much money?
I personaly dont think so. Pure IQ is not realy the only important factor. There is so much to a camera, especialy if you use it for hours every day. Handling, reliability, accessories, software integration, ergonomics, responsiveness, ease of use, service speed, speed, transfer speed, ports... thats one of the reasons why the 1D line is so expensive while its IQ is certainly not the best out there. (In my experience the 5D IV beats the 1DX II in image quality, one reason is the little bit higher resolution and the bit more modern processor. But I usualy prefer to use the 1D because of the amazing viewfinder and better ergonomics)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0