Canon EOS R5 pricing is still unknown, don’t believe the reports [CR0]

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
61mp against 30mp on say 5DIV gives only 41% more resolution, I don't think it takes incredible effort to get sharp images from Sony on a tripod.
I think that's Peter's point...the key word here is "on a tripod", a tripod is the last thing I'm lugging around when I'm doing a sunset swimsuit shoot half way down the beach; let alone for a model that will probably never do more than upload them to her Instagram feed at a 960x1200 resolution.

Sure you can get razor sharp images out of almost any camera; but when it needs to sit on a tripod to do so it has eliminated pretty much any scenario except nature, studio, or specific commercial work which is not a camera that is going to appeal to the masses.

I shot a runway fashion show with my 5DIV beside a photographer with a 5DS...it was almost comical how blurry his images were; we're talking a low light situation, fast moving models, and no tripod. Obviously he bought into the MP hype.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

rwvaughn

Live in the moment.
Mar 22, 2016
Southern Indiana, USA
Any thoughts on the quickest way to get an R5 once they become available? Do I pre-order through a big national site like Adorama or a local camera store chain where I've been buying cameras and lenses for the past 7 or 8 years? My preference is generally to support local camera stores, but I would really like to get my hands on an R5 by early Fall, if possible.

Never ever get a first batch product. Wait for the kinks to be worked out in the second batch.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Exactly. A7RIV is the competitor here. Also Z7 is around $3500. So it's highly unlikely the R5 will be priced significantly higher than Sony or Nikon.

In case they decide to still charge money for 8K and set it around $4500, I think I'll be switching to Sony. I don't care much about the video specs. I'm loyal to Canon but not that loyal.
I'm truly curious here...why would you switch to Sony? Based on your signature you have the exact same Canon body and glass that I do and I'm still getting paid every day for photography jobs using my setup; what exactly do you think you are missing that Sony will provide? No matter what the price of the R5 I have no real interest in getting it; my current setup can still handle every job I throw at it.

Now if you say you don't want weather sealing, you don't mind having your sensor last less than 2yrs, you don't like Canon's color science, you like a terrible menu system, and you want terrible ergonomics then your plan to switch makes perfect sense.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I think there are two sides to that discussion. When the 5D IV launched video was not as important, and there were more potential buyers of the 5DIV than there are now. Really the only ones who suddenly started hyping video were YouTubers which then spread to regular camera buyers; who were 'influenced' by all of the YouTubers. Sony saw their window of opportunity and filled the video gap for years while Canon did nothing; but this all happened after the 5DIV launch.

Ironically Panasonic has been there all along with amazing video features in their MFT format but because it was MFT pixel peepers dismissed them and bought into the FF Sony marketing hype. The S1H and S1 was their response to that but they doomed themselves by going with a proprietary L mount and expensive new lenses.

Most of that happened between the 2012 launch of the 5D Mark III and the 2016 launch of the 5D Mark IV.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Thought that just crossed my mind: maybe if we spread 10,000 dollar price tag rumors enough Canon will *have* to announce the price, just like they did with the 8K spec clarification :unsure:

Then again, the more very high priced rumours that get circulated, the more likely it may give Canon ideas that there are enough potential buyers willing to pay that much...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
61mp against 30mp on say 5DIV gives only 41% more resolution, I don't think it takes incredible effort to get sharp images from Sony on a tripod.

If you can find a Sony lens that isn't at least moderately misaligned from the factory. Just ask Uncle Roger about that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I think there are two sides to that discussion. When the 5D IV launched video was not as important, and there were more potential buyers of the 5DIV than there are now. Really the only ones who suddenly started hyping video were YouTubers which then spread to regular camera buyers; who were 'influenced' by all of the YouTubers. Sony saw their window of opportunity and filled the video gap for years while Canon did nothing; but this all happened after the 5DIV launch.

Ironically Panasonic has been there all along with amazing video features in their MFT format but because it was MFT pixel peepers dismissed them and bought into the FF Sony marketing hype. The S1H and S1 was their response to that but they doomed themselves by going with a proprietary L mount and expensive new lenses.

The vlogging market is buying FF cameras en masse? The average vlogger must have deeper pockets than I thought.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
In case they decide to still charge money for 8K and set it around $4500, I think I'll be switching to Sony. I don't care much about the video specs. I'm loyal to Canon but not that loyal.

I'm truly curious here...why would you switch to Sony? [...]

As I had suspected all along. The people coming in from out of nowhere complaining the camera does too much...are "getting a Sony" trolls.

Upvote 0
As I had suspected all along. The people coming in from out of nowhere complaining the camera does too much...are "getting a Sony" trolls.
Out of nowhere? :) Check my profile, the number of messages and threads I've participated.
I'm all after Canon. But $4500 USD for the R5 would be too much, and currently it's the only camera from Canon I'm interested in. There's also the prospective high-mp R5s, but it'll be of the same price as R5 or higher.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Out of nowhere? :) Check my profile, the number of messages and threads I've participated.
I'm all after Canon. But $4500 USD for the R5 would be too much, and currently it's the only camera from Canon I'm interested in. There's also the prospective high-mp R5s, but it'll be of the same price as R5 or higher.
++++ But $4500 USD for the R5 would be too much

A.M.: Yes.. I am glad you realise that. The question remains though: why are we even discuss this arbitrary number? It is pointless.
Anything north of US$4,000.00 in USA at launch is not going to fly in present market conditions. My bet is on around US$3,750.00 price at launch.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0