Canon EOS R5 pricing is still unknown, don’t believe the reports [CR0]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What happened to the 'mirrorless allows for lower cost' argument? Seems to me like this is exactly what Canon are doing here. Spread out development cost over greater number of products. Which is possible since there are less body specific developments for these bodies.

The AF specifically is now software only. It all works on super high resolution DPAF CMOS sensors. No variations in spread and point type and sensitivities from model model. It's all evenly spaced pixels split in the same fashion into two photosites. I bet they don't have to put in nearly the same effort to give future bodies animal eye AF as they did for the R5. And they may even add it to the 1DX III in post, if they decide giving the LiveView more capabilities than the OVF AF won't upset too many users.

Why would an R5 cost nearly as much as a 1DX III, when it has a less cutting edge card configuration, slower and most likely less durable shutter, no mirror and corresponding CMOS AF Array, no mirror motors and no vertical grip and corresponding ruggedness?

Literally the only thing the R5 seems to have over the 1DX III in terms of hardware is an H265 encoder capable of handling 8K*. So do some smartphones. It certainly has its cost, yes. But Canon for sure would not have included that if it was a huge cost factor given the challenges of the current market situation (even pre pandemic). The M50 introduced 4K H. 264, didn't it? That's a low end model getting the first high end encoder. And here we have a high end model getting a high end encoder an assume it will add a few grant to the price? And again, they would not have needed to include that. 8K RAW would have been enough to crush everything else out there.

*Granted, it also has an EVF. But I don't know of any compelling evidence that that would add cost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
61mp against 30mp on say 5DIV gives only 41% more resolution, I don't think it takes incredible effort to get sharp images from Sony on a tripod.
Yes, on a steady tripod and with a perfect high end lense at the sweet f-stop with very bright light and a non moving subject its certainly possible.
But in everyday situations, photographing events for example you have very rarely these conditions. I would say what I usualy achieve is something like 40mpixel "sharpness". The zoom lense I use on the Sony (GM 24-70) is probably not sharp enough to give me realy tacksharp 61mp where very pixel is truely sharp. Adding moving people and dark lighting I certainly rarely have pictures at weddings where the 61mp TRUELY make a difference.
So the advantage of having such a high megapixel count on a Fullframe sensor isnt as big as people tend to think. Though I dont mind having it of course :-D For productshots its a gem to have. Retouching and perfect cutouts are much easier with this resolution. The 1DX II with 20mpixel for example is certainly a way worse option for studio work (though the viewfinder and overall handling is a charm).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I think there are two sides to that discussion. When the 5D IV launched video was not as important, and there were more potential buyers of the 5DIV than there are now. Really the only ones who suddenly started hyping video were YouTubers which then spread to regular camera buyers; who were 'influenced' by all of the YouTubers. Sony saw their window of opportunity and filled the video gap for years while Canon did nothing; but this all happened after the 5DIV launch.
Ha jeah, you are right. Its hard to tell how many photographers are in reality interested in video features. The annoying youtube influencers certainly makes it look like the video feature is 50% of a professional camera :-D

Upvote 0
Photography is only a side business for me, I make much much more through my primary job.
So it's closer to a hobby. But even then, if the R5 is $1000 more than the 5DIV, it's too much.
Note it's an 'if', in fact I don't think Canon will actually ask $4500 for it. So I'm hoping to stay with my lenses and with Canon.

I'm truly curious here...why would you switch to Sony? Based on your signature you have the exact same Canon body and glass that I do and I'm still getting paid every day for photography jobs using my setup; what exactly do you think you are missing that Sony will provide? No matter what the price of the R5 I have no real interest in getting it; my current setup can still handle every job I throw at it.

Now if you say you don't want weather sealing, you don't mind having your sensor last less than 2yrs, you don't like Canon's color science, you like a terrible menu system, and you want terrible ergonomics then your plan to switch makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0
For events/action/concerts that's true, but I'm shooting less and less concerts, especially in this corona year, and more and more landscapes. I've also done quite a bit of portraiture and this is also where is good to have it as sharp as possible.

Yes, on a steady tripod and with a perfect high end lense at the sweet f-stop with very bright light and a non moving subject its certainly possible.
But in everyday situations, photographing events for example you have very rarely these conditions. I would say what I usualy achieve is something like 40mpixel "sharpness". The zoom lense I use on the Sony (GM 24-70) is probably not sharp enough to give me realy tacksharp 61mp where very pixel is truely sharp. Adding moving people and dark lighting I certainly rarely have pictures at weddings where the 61mp TRUELY make a difference.
So the advantage of having such a high megapixel count on a Fullframe sensor isnt as big as people tend to think. Though I dont mind having it of course :-D For productshots its a gem to have. Retouching and perfect cutouts are much easier with this resolution. The 1DX II with 20mpixel for example is certainly a way worse option for studio work (though the viewfinder and overall handling is a charm).

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I’m not buying one if it’s higher than $3500. AND no one should be either ;) ;)
I can replace my 1DX II, 5D IV, S1H (+lense), GH5 (+lenses) and A7R IV (+lense and batteries) with just 2 of the EOS R5 (and I would even win on all functionality and in quality). Why exactly shouldnt I make this trade, even if its coting 4500$?
Or do I miss the irony? :-D

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
So the advantage of having such a high megapixel count on a Fullframe sensor isnt as big as people tend to think. Though I dont mind having it of course :-D For productshots its a gem to have. Retouching and perfect cutouts are much easier with this resolution. The 1DX II with 20mpixel for example is certainly a way worse option for studio work (though the viewfind
As with so many magic number specifications, the practical significance of more mp is certainly debatable. Often, the questions comedown to in which use cases the difference is even noticeable and how important it is. Magic number specs are good for endless hours of fun on the internet though, DR being the classic example.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As with so many magic number specifications, the practical significance of more mp is certainly debatable.
There are instances in which more megapixels, more FPS, more DR and so on help. It simply comes down to the individual photographer, their experience, technique, preferences and budget how much impact a certain spec has.

There comes a point where for a majority of users there's very little improvement they'll notice. But if you have a specific use case that benefits from an improvement, that's just as well. It would be nice if we all just could acknowledge that we have different needs and not insist on having a word in what others need or enjoy or have a right to ask for. Be that more or less megapixels, more or less DR, more or less card slots, or any other quantifiable spec.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
As with so many magic number specifications, the practical significance of more mp is certainly debatable. Often, the questions comedown to in which use cases the difference is even noticeable and how important it is. Magic number specs are good for endless hours of fun on the internet though, DR being the classic example.
Speaking of important things (instead of just MP comparisons), I've been looking into the issue of dust on sensors since I've heard so many stories about dust constantly getting on Sony sensors (even if they never swap lenses) and no problems on almost all the other camera makers. AFAIK Sony just uses their IBIS to shake the sensor (at relatively low cycle/sec rates) to try and get the dust off (if I'm wrong, please let me know). Olympus tried that and saw it didn't work, and pioneered piezo shake of a thin front layer at many tens of thousands of times per second which was carefully honed until the dust just fell down off it like snow. They licensed it to many others, and AFAIK Canon uses the same basic piezo technique (it's really hard to find detailed info on this with Canon, by the way).

I happen to have a EM1mark2 and after 3 years and many thousands of photos I have never once had an issue with dust on the sensor. If I switched to Sony and had to clean it before most days of important photography then I'd go absolutely nuts. So that (and no fully articulating screen) are 2 reasons I will not consider them, no matter what the MP difference and cost is.

Upvote 0
Previous releases of the 5D series since the 5D III have launched at $3499. I think that Canon will try to make the R5 fall within the same region to the best of their ability since they've already stated that the R5 is a mirrorless replacement for the 5D series. But it could be a bit higher since Canon have declared their intentions to focus on higher-end products with greater profit margins to make up for lost revenue in these past few years (i.e. price hikes for prosumer glass and cameras), and there's also the volatility in the foreign exchange market with the current pandemic going on, so we might see some inflation adjustment.

I think that a similar price point to the Panasonic S1H makes sense ($3999). With what we know so far, it outclasses the S1H in video, and mops the floor with it in stills; so it's arguable that an even higher launch price, say $4299, would be within reason.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Jeah, couldnt agree more :)

Upvote 0
Any thoughts on the quickest way to get an R5 once they become available? Do I pre-order through a big national site like Adorama or a local camera store chain where I've been buying cameras and lenses for the past 7 or 8 years? My preference is generally to support local camera stores, but I would really like to get my hands on an R5 by early Fall, if possible.
BestBuy; in-store pickup. That's how I got my 5D4 the week it was released in 2016. There were 3 in the LA area when I purchased mine. Within the hour, they were sold out, especially at Samy's Camera.

Upvote 0