Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

The R6 is bad for hybrid shooting so hopefully they address the major issue when switching from photo to custom video modes in a speedy manner.
Indeed, even the original EOS R was better as you could program C3 with your required movie settings and when pressing record from photo mode, it would record video with those settings in photo mode.

Guess they'll give it unlimited recording, better R3 AF and less overheating...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yep! and that's the same reason why the R6II will use the R3's sensor - because by the time the R6II comes out, it will be old.
You need to read the rest as well.
There is no overlap in the MILC lineup, everything is an update with regards to both photo and video as one moves higher up in the range.

An R6 II will be inferior to the R5 in almost every regard, which, after the heat management update needs no further updates at this point and the R5C serves as another product that provides more features for video, so they won't make an R5 II to kill that off.

It was only between an high-end DSLR sensor used in a mid-range mirrorless camera.
And just because they did that a few times regarding the EOS R, RP and R6, people wrongly assume they would do it again - even if it makes no sense at all.

Upvote 0
[CR3] here makes the rumoured R8 specs being dead or maybe just another prototype variation of an R6 II.

And the step forward is quite small, as already mentioned.
You are comparing a CR1 to a CR3?
[CR3] – Fact
We use this rating when we’re sure what we’re posting is a fact.

[CR1] – Plausible information, but from an unconfirmed source
This is information we deem as “possible”. However, the information comes from an unknown or anonymous source, so we cannot confirm its authenticity.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
FYI: 1DX3 was only 6 months old when R6 was announced, while R3 is already over one year old by NOW, plus 1DX3 has no IBIS
The 1DX3 sensor is based on tweaks to their mature FSI sensor tech used on all their other cameras. The at the time state of the art OLP filter was the new defining characteristic of that sensor package, which they did not put in R6.

R3 on the other hand, uses their brand new stacked sensor tech with a 5ms readout of the entire sensor. Due to size differences, having a 5ms readout on a full frame is a LOT more technically challenging than say on a type-1, m43 or apsc sensor. Also stacked design means sandwiching 2-3 substrates together of which electronics substrate on the bottom with ADC and logic need finer lithography than the sensor pixels. That means either Canon retooled their sensor production line with a whole bunch of really expensive equipment or they outsourced the bottom substrate, both of which adds to cost per chip.

No doubt Canon will leverage their new stacked sensor tech and trickle it down the line eventually, I just don't see them starting it with R6 when the R1 hasn't even been announced yet as they would lose a big marketing point on a flagship.

Gladly eat my words and buy the mk II if they do include a stacked sensor on it though!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So, now you're saying that Canon made extra sensors for the 1DXII then used them in the C200, instead? What did they do to those extra 1DXII sensors, just cut them down to Super 35 size and stick them in the C200? :ROFLMAO: Or maybe you don't remember correctly.:rolleyes:

View attachment 205934

Of course Canon reuses technology across their lines. But you're talking about making too many sensors for one camera then using them in another camera that will be produced in far greater numbers than the original.

Sorry, calling ridiculous suggestions asinine doesn't make me a narcissist, just someone who has a firm grasp on reality and can easily spot fools.
Last I checked I said based off of when talking about 1dx and c200 but you see you’re a narcissist and you actually don’t know how to read properly or actually even have a discussion because your ego is well trying to compensate for other shortcomings in your life

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
You are comparing a CR1 to a CR3?
[CR3] – Fact
We use this rating when we’re sure what we’re posting is a fact.

[CR1] – Plausible information, but from an unconfirmed source
This is information we deem as “possible”. However, the information comes from an unknown or anonymous source, so we cannot confirm its authenticity.
I am comparing two spec lists, that are rated differently by Craig/CR.

If that [CR3] rated R6 MkII is a "Fact", then the [CR1] spec of a possible R8 with almost the same data, but a higher MP sensor cannot come true.
Those are too close together than giving market segments for two bodies being so close.

So either the rumoured R8 is not coming or it was misinterpreted and is just another variation of an R6 MkII with a different sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Last I checked I said based off of when talking about 1dx and c200 but you see you’re a narcissist and you actually don’t know how to read properly or actually even have a discussion because your ego is well trying to compensate for other shortcomings in your life
It’s cute that you think moving the goalposts makes you look less foolish.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Y'all really in here arguing that Canon is making a brand-new, mid-range 24MP sensor in 2022 . . . and it somehow isn't the same as/based on the one they already have in the R3, even though they have a recent track record of doing this exact move with the top-of-the-line 1DX Mk III and the R6? Hilarious.

I could end up being wrong (as could anyone - all of this is rumored), but the people are acting like this is impossible are fools.
I have learned that this forum is full of know it all’s and people who do nothing in their lives, from time to time I like to pop in here make a post and wait for Mr. narcissist to comment back he’s very predictable and so are many others in here, they literally just want something to complain about and or fight about. Their cameras are their lives and probably mostly collecting dust.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I have learned that this forum is full of know it all’s and people who do nothing in their lives, from time to time I like to pop in here make a post and wait for Mr. narcissist to comment back he’s very predictable and so are many others in here, they literally just want something to complain about and or fight about. Their cameras are their lives and probably mostly collecting dust.

Oh, the best decision I've made here was blocking + muting certain forumers. I think I've had neuro muted for almost 3 years and only unmute him in order to have an argument every once in a while.

• Haha
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
This is hardly worth a reply. But, R3 is out of stock at most major U. S. Retailers, so they aren’t having any problem selling them.
Maybe other parts are the problem or even more sensors then cameras or/and they planned to bring the R6II with the same sensor (just logically!). So they will have enough! A 6k€ Camera is a niche product. But the sensorproduction is expensive and they logically want to use the spend R&D for as much products they can.

Remember the old 18MP apsc Sensor ... 7d, 60d, 550d and many more.

I hope so hard that there will be a rolling-shutter-free R6II!!
And please with e-Shutter with flashlight use and light sync!!

Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
Maybe other parts are the problem or even more sensors then cameras or/and they planned to bring the R6II with the same sensor (just logically!). So they will have enough!

So you believe that Canon is cannibalizing current sales of their high end products (R3), in order to stock up on enough sensors to be able to introduce the same one in a future lower priced product? Yeah that seems like an airtight logical case there.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have learned that this forum is full of know it all’s and people who do nothing in their lives, from time to time I like to pop in here make a post and wait for Mr. narcissist to comment back he’s very predictable and so are many others in here, they literally just want something to complain about and or fight about.
I’ve learned this forum is full of people who spout nonsense, and take immediate offense when anyone disagrees with them. Usually, those people have no facts or data to back up their assertions.

Also note that I questioned if your ridiculous assertion that Canon somehow made enough excess R3 sensors to produce an R6II with the surplus sensors meant you were on some sort of mind-alerting substance, i.e., a characterization of your behavior. You labeled that an ‘ad hominem attack’, but apparently you don’t know what that actually means. I did not substitute an insult for a rational argument, I provided a rational rebuttal, one making a lot more sense than your silly assertion, along with a veiled reference to your mental state. You responded with puerile, repetitive personal insults, i.e., a characterization of me personally. The fact that you reacted in that way says much about your maturity and personality (none of it good).

Their cameras are their lives and probably mostly collecting dust.
Says the guy who’s posted more gear pics here than photographs.
658C289A-58AF-4E82-B23A-6CAFB95DE96C.jpeg
That’s ironic, lol.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Low megapixels is not a negative, it's a positive and desirable aspect for low light event or portrait photographers to get the cleanest high iso images. I chose an R6 over an R5 to get better low light performance, it's a superior camera in this one regard, just like the 6D was over the 5d mk iii. The 6 series has always been about great low light performance, it's always been a superior low light series that's somehow usually overlooked as a worse than 5 series camera, to me it's a better camera for my uses (low light), and cheaper so it's a win win. I just hope with the higher R6 II's 24 megapixels it'll be as iso clean as the R6
I'm with ya. And I welcome the smaller file sizes as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
What is a "digital teleconverter"?
Well all the R models already have a "digital teleconverter" in that you can choose a 1.6 crop mode (1.6x digital teleconverter). Maybe they are adding additional crop modes (1.4 and/or 2.0) or maybe they are adding some post-processing that artificially adds more resolution. We will just have to wait and see, but based on past experience with these kinds of "features" it seems like they seldom work at well as their hype claims.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Well all the R models already have a "digital teleconverter" in that you can choose a 1.6 crop mode (1.6x digital teleconverter). Maybe they are adding additional crop modes (1.4 and/or 2.0) or maybe they are adding some post-processing that artificially adds more resolution. We will just have to wait and see, but based on past experience with these kinds of "features" it seems like they seldom work at well as their hype claims.

I've actually been quite happy with the 1.6 crop because I shoot with primes and am fine with losing some resolution in order to get a different perspective sometimes.

Upvote 0