Canon says preorders for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 have exceeded expectations

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I guess I should join the bandwagon and start trashing the R5 all over the internet for overheating...so more people will cancel their preorders and I can get mine quicker. LOL jk

I've ordered a few cameras as a pre-order and never had a challenge getting the camera very early. This is the first time I've actually been worried about receiving mine in a timely fashion. My goal is to have it in my hands ready to be put to work before I leave for my next race in St. Louis later this month...it does seem unlikely. But it would also mean that Adobe would have to provide support for the new files as well before I could use it to deliver images during the event. Come on, Canon! Make my dreams come true!!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I went with Samy's Camera for the tax free and 3% back. On the website it says that the card won't be charged until the item is shipped but my card was aleady charged?
Usually, they put in a test authorization, which is not actually a charge, but a confirmation that your card is good. Then, when they ship, they change the authorization to a actual charge. The same thing happens when you buy gas, the pump puts in a authorization for $75, but when you finish pumping, it charges the actual amount. That happens so quickly that you don't see it.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Well, I was going to say "you asked for it, you got it" but now it's "you asked for it, but you may not get it".(for a long time) When I saw the spec sheet, I knew this would explode in our faces. Most of us will now have to sit and watch all the YouTube reviews and have a melt down. Seriously, I am happy for Canon's success and patiently wait for that golden email- "you order has been shipped".
Short of an asteroid or comet smoking japan, we'll get through this. :p
The way 2020 is going please do not temp fate:)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Whelp. I pre-ordered the R5 kit at 5:05am on release morning. Hopefully most people just went for the body so my order won't be affected.

For everyone that didn't order early looks like if you wanted to it may be next year sometime before you get it.

Same here, ordered early. If you shop at Adorama, a few days early, put the temporary product pages into your Wishlist. They take down the pages the day before launch and then put them online right on the hour – but you can still move the item from your Wishlist into your cart sometimes. I was able to pre-order the 100-500 the night before and the R5 and grip about 20 minutes before the launch time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
The pre-orders for the extenders are not by me... Still disappointed the extenders do not work with the 70-200. R5 and 6 sound awesome though. Wondering how big the difference between 85 2 and 70-200 2.8 is for portraits (not accounting for the macro capabilities)...
I used to own the 85 f1.8 and it was just a hair better at OOF backgrounds than the 70-200 f 2.8. I sold the 85 as I did not like being that close to the subject for a head and shoulders portrait. The 70-200 allowed a a lot more flexibility and very narrow DOF at 100mm up to 200 mm when shooting at 3.5 (so I did not miss focus).
IMO the 85 f2 could be very useful for low cost flexibility for the portrait or wedding shooter. The light weight beats the 70-200 like a drum.
It all depends what is important to you.

I need the flexibility of the zoom and the IQ was superb so I put up with the weight.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I don't see the R5 as a legitimate successor of the 5D Mark IV, because it is not as DSLR and therefore should be a lot cheaper.

Sadly those high preorder numbers mean that the high price of that camera is okay. That makes a price drop unlikely for quite a while.
The R5 has a lot more capability built in than almost any DSLR.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I guess I should join the bandwagon and start trashing the R5 all over the internet for overheating...so more people will cancel their preorders and I can get mine quicker. LOL jk

I've ordered a few cameras as a pre-order and never had a challenge getting the camera very early. This is the first time I've actually been worried about receiving mine in a timely fashion. My goal is to have it in my hands ready to be put to work before I leave for my next race in St. Louis later this month...it does seem unlikely. But it would also mean that Adobe would have to provide support for the new files as well before I could use it to deliver images during the event. Come on, Canon! Make my dreams come true!!
Noooooo. Don’t. Let them buy in droves and then dump their mint R5 bodies on a secondary market in pretty much unused condition But heavily discounted with a remainder of local Canon warranty. :D

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I spoke with one of the big, direct retailers not named after an SA river and they still expect first shipments by the end of July, but they have no idea how many will be in that shipment. Moreover, they don't know when the next shipment will be made after that.
Not sure if things are the same in the UK as I've never pre ordered but I did this time. The retailer said I am 5th on the list and although that sounds OK, he has no idea how many units Canon will send them so whilst being 5th sounds OK they may only send 1 or 2 units. Hopefully not but the next few weeks are not going to be fun. :cry:

Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
Preordered from Amazon due to the 5% back on my Amazon Visa and also because of the liberal return policy. I'm shoot video on a 1DX Mk II right now and other than the different crop factor I should be able to just plop the R5 in its place to try it out in my workflow. If the overheating is truly an issue for my use case, Amazon accepts returns without problems.

Does anyone know a way to check your spot in the preorder queue through Amazon?

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
The mirror that can flip an amazing number of times per second in a burst has always been the reason why I accepted the high price of some DLSRs. The 1D X Mark III currently cost 7,299 Euros in Germany. So should we expect a similar price for the R1? That would be quite shocking.

High end watches are also very expensive because of the mechanics. You can't take away the most complicated piece of mechanics and still charge the same price.

Ai would also expect electric cars to be much cheaper than conventional cars. because they only need a very simply engine.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
This is probably a very silly question but why would orders exceeding expectations affect supply?? Surely the number of units being produced and shipped to retailers was a fixed number controlled by current conditions long before any orders were made and even if numbers could be adjusted between the announcement on 09/07 and the 30th of July, having too many orders wouldn't have an effect on what could be produced??

I can understand and it makes sense that too many orders would mean some people will be disappointed as initial supply is limited & the last paragraph sort of says this.

Am I missing something? :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
We are in the middle of the pandemic and photographers are running out of cash. It is not the time for investing equipments. It is time for finding survive.
I’m glad I’m on the top of a list and should get one from the first shipment. As to investing in equipment, I see this as the perfect time. Get the camera, get to know it’s features, get it configured, do what photography I can given the current pandemic, and then be ready to get back to business once there’s either an effective treatment or vaccine available.

And shame on Canon for not expecting a higher than usual demand. They’ve hyped the camera more than any other piece of equipment I can think of!

Upvote 0