Canon says preorders for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 have exceeded expectations

Mar 25, 2011
I broke down and ordered one today. I don't particularly care if mine is in the first wave or not. I've put my 5D MK IV up for sale, but am holding on to my R for now. I have a 30 day window to return the camera if I don't like it, but I doubt that would be the case. I have plenty of EF "L" lenses, so I'm not yet going for a RF. I broke down and bought a RF 35mm refurb when they were on sale.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I think B&H reps (along with every other stores staff) don't really know for sure when exact delivery will ultimately be, nor in what volume they will actually arrive. If there truly are still no production units being tested in the wild at this time (and we don't really know that, do we?), I suspect that initial deliveries will be delayed for some period of time. While I am hopeful that the R5 will begin shipping as expected the end of July, I won't be surprised at all if that doesn't happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I guess that 2 weeks before the date, Canon should be able to warn us (and dealers) if the R5 will come or not.
What I see is that all official European Canon stores have cancelled the preorder option for the R5.
For main french stores, date is still 30th of July. Canon should really clarify things. I have 4499€ sent to a dealer and if I get mine in October it is not really nice... (and it is worse when you have sold your R to buythe R5 :ROFLMAO:)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
The mirror that can flip an amazing number of times per second in a burst has always been the reason why I accepted the high price of some DLSRs. The 1D X Mark III currently cost 7,299 Euros in Germany. So should we expect a similar price for the R1? That would be quite shocking.

High end watches are also very expensive because of the mechanics. You can't take away the most complicated piece of mechanics and still charge the same price.

Ai would also expect electric cars to be much cheaper than conventional cars. because they only need a very simply engine.
The price of a MILC vs. DSLR is not an equal comparison.
The R&D cost to develop a new camera body and lens line is significant and spread over a declining number sales. They are also paying for a global distribution and support system. Repair parts inventory,
global marketing efforts and warranty support. The materials on a given product are almost trivial.
Yes, they don't pay for a mirror but they are paying for a ton of ground up components and basically betting the company on the next product.
As for EVs the batteries are the greatest cost at the moment. When that drops they will be competitive with gas engined cars. However, the same things applies where a proper EV is engineered from the ground up. The huge investment has to be re-couped over ever smaller volumes of sales. This is also why pickups are beloved by Detroit as they have been only incrementally upgraded since the 1930's while maintaining a huge profit margin. Ladder frame, solid axles rectangular steel bed and engines with some having a direct line of development from the 1950's.
Given the debt level of the young grads, the potential sales of cars in the future is bleak. Average loan terms are now at 72 months.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi all, I am a bit unsure which camera to buy, the R5 or R6. I use the camera mainly for landscape, fine art photography, shooting in low light conditions during special events, street sceneries. I do NOT make weddings nor studio/commercial images, nor much interested in making films.
I understand that the R6 has a smaller sensor but a better dynamic range and can shoot up to 100.000 ISO ....
In one way I prefer the R5 because: better weather sealing, larger sensor, somehow built a bit better, larger screen, etc.... But the fact that the R6 cost less, and might render better in low light conditions (and make more sequential shoots and longer battery...), it might take me to the R6. But again I am confused.
I did not see yet any quality test of images side by side in normal conditions, high iso and low light to make a final judgment. What might be your personal suggestion between the 2 bodies?
TIA.
Andrea

Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
I understand that the R6 has a smaller sensor but a better dynamic range and can shoot up to 100.000 ISO ....
The R6 has the SAME SIZE sensor as the R5, what changes is the resolution; Shooting up to 100.000 ISO is madness. When I shoot sport in very low light (shutter up to 1/800 indoor), I sometimes bump up to 12 800, but I never go above. Then it is noisy has hell and you start to lose colors.

You can also see it in another way: from the R5 you can down sample to get the same resolution as the R6. I have a friend who has the a7RIV, he never complained about high ISO performances, so I'm not worried about the R5 in that case.

I also shoot Landscapes and Fine Art, I am looking forward to the R5. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
The R6 has the SAME SIZE sensor as the R5, what changes is the resolution; Shooting up to 100.000 ISO is madness. When I shoot sport in very low light (shutter up to 1/800 indoor), I sometimes bump up to 12 800, but I never go above. Then it is noisy has hell and you start to lose colors.

You can also see it in another way: from the R5 you can down sample to get the same resolution as the R6. I have a friend who has the a7RIV, he never complained about high ISO performances, so I'm not worried about the R5 in that case.

I also shoot Landscapes and Fine Art, I am looking forward to the R5. :)

Thanks about the reply.... I am also in favour of the R5..... However I read that in terms of low light image capture and in terms of EV /dynamic range, the R6 might have a slightly better results (slight mean R6 has 6,5 stops tolrenace vs 6.0 stops of the R5 ... About low light pictures did not see yet any side by side result)....

Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
Thanks about the reply.... I am also in favour of the R5..... However I read that in terms of low light image capture and in terms of EV /dynamic range, the R6 might have a slightly better results (slight mean R6 has 6,5 stops tolrenace vs 6.0 stops of the R5 ... About low light pictures did not see yet any side by side result)....
The R5 has been reported by Canon to improve on the Dynamic Range of the Canon R (5DIV sensor) by a full stop. That is incredible. It will be very close in low light to the R6, probably indistinguishable. For these reasons I have pre-ordered the R5.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The R5 has been reported by Canon to improve on the Dynamic Range of the Canon R (5DIV sensor) by a full stop. That is incredible. It will be very close in low light to the R6, probably indistinguishable. For these reasons I have pre-ordered the R5.
Do they mean RAW files have 1 stop more DR or out of camera jpegs are better, normally they refer to the later.

Why wouldn’t it be the same as the R6?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Do they mean RAW files have 1 stop more DR or out of camera jpegs are better, normally they refer to the later.

Rudy keeps saying that the ‘effective DR’ is one stop better, which sounds like the usual improvement in jpeg noise reduction that comes with a new digic.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Rudy keeps saying that the ‘effective DR’ is one stop better, which sounds like the usual improvement in jpeg noise reduction that comes with a new digic.
Exactly. I wish people would stop getting excited about rumored reports of meaningful DR improvements, especially at high iso values,

Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
So, in conclusion,

Hi, so in conclusion, for either raw or/and jpeg files, -in low light conditions-, the R5 should perform the same at the R6 in terms of dynamic range and noise/overall image quality?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So, in conclusion,

Hi, so in conclusion, for either raw or/and jpeg files, -in low light conditions-, the R5 should perform the same at the R6 in terms of dynamic range and noise/overall image quality?
Well within half a stop of iso when normalized, that is when viewed at the same output size, yes, they will be essentially the same if we go by every other generation sensor for the last ten years.

And don’t forget we already have the core results for the R6 as it shares the 1DX III sensor and there is no high iso improvement from that over the 5D IV.

DE729635-A06A-417F-9644-9BB62D320218.jpeg

Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
Well within half a stop of iso when normalized, that is when viewed at the same output size, yes, they will be essentially the same if we go by every other generation sensor for the last ten years.

And don’t forget we already have the core results for the R6 as it shares the 1DX III sensor and there is no high iso improvement from that over the 5D IV.

View attachment 191412

Thanks for the great remarks. Overall speaking, privatebydesign, do you suggest to buy at the end the R5?
Thanks in advance.
Andrea

Upvote 0