First Round of EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
candyman said:
+1 about keeping the LP-E6 battery. I use them on my 5D MK3 and 7D. I would not like to give up the exchange flexibility of batteries between those 2 cameras

LP-E6? Well yes... It would certainly be handy if the 7DII batteries were LP-E6 but I'll speculate that the replacement battery will be higher capacity to drive the AF & FPS speeds higher than a couple of LP-E6 cells could accommodate. I'll happily trade the convenience factor for performance upgrades.

-PW

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
pwp said:
candyman said:
+1 about keeping the LP-E6 battery. I use them on my 5D MK3 and 7D. I would not like to give up the exchange flexibility of batteries between those 2 cameras

LP-E6? Well yes... It would certainly be handy if the 7DII batteries were LP-E6 but I'll speculate that the replacement battery will be higher capacity to drive the AF & FPS speeds higher than a couple of LP-E6 cells could accommodate. I'll happily trade the convenience factor for performance upgrades.

-PW

Well, on both cameras I use the BG. And, the performance is great (using also Lexar 16GB 1000x) I have nothing to complain

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
But the 7DII will not have dual Digics. Take my word for it.
It will have a single Digic 5+, same as the 5DIII and the 6D.

Here's another math that you can do:
The 1DX has two Digic 5+ processors and a 16-channel readout (official specs).
And the 5DIII has a single Digic 5+ and an 8-channel readout (again, official specs).
Therefore, it can be concluded that the Digic 5+ processor has an 8-channel readout.

Also, the 6D is capable of 20mp @4.5fps with a single Digic 5+ ... and just 4 readout channels (again, official specs).
This puts the throughput of the Digic 5+ processor at 20*4.5/4 = 22.5 MP/s per channel.
That's a throughput of 180 MP/s total for all 8 channels on the Digic 5+ processor.

Realistically, Canon will not go over 10fps in 7DII and will not put dual Digics in it.
So, I'd say that the 7DII will be spec'd anywhere between 16mp @10fs and 22mp @8fps ... with a single Digic 5+.

I'd prefer if Canon puts 16mp/10fps in the 7DII but it's more likely that they will go for 20mp/8fps.

One thing is certain, though: the dual Digic V spec is fake and this whole 7DII rumor is a lame [CR0] rumor.
Could you please provide reference that 6D has a different DIGIC 5+ processor (with 4 crippled A/D channels), than those of the 5D3 and 1D X?

All my references says it's the same DIGIC 5+ with the same 8-channel A/D, which also explains why the same DIGIC 5+ designation (e.g. not DIGIC 5-)

Assuming conservatively that 7D II is to remain at 18MP @8fps, that's ~144MPs, which is still higher than the existing 5D3's single DIGIC 5+ rating of ~134MPs. It's hard to guess how much headroom is left with a single DIGIC 5+, but I wouldn't bet on it. IMHO, it is highly probable, although not a certainty, that dual DIGIC 5+ is a real possibility for the next 7D.

Upvote 0
thelebaron said:
interesting. the channel info is stated on the bh store page(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html) so that sounds about right. single digic for the 7d2 and just a made up rumour.
from the B&H link:
"the DIGIC 5+ processor also delivers overall speed and power to the 6D and utilizes dual 4-channel A/D converter"

Looks like the same 8-channel setup to me. At the minimum, I'm betting on dual DIGIC 5 (non '+').

Upvote 0
THX723 said:
Looks like the same 8-channel setup to me. At the minimum, I'm betting on dual DIGIC 5 (non '+').

Isnt't the difference between 5 and 5+ just the frequency at which it's clocked? In that case they could easily clock it at some inbetween frequency, or if they managed to improve a bit even higher than in the 1DX, after all, that's what all other processor manufacturers do.

Upvote 0
THX723 said:
thelebaron said:
interesting. the channel info is stated on the bh store page(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html) so that sounds about right. single digic for the 7d2 and just a made up rumour.
from the B&H link:
"the DIGIC 5+ processor also delivers overall speed and power to the 6D and utilizes dual 4-channel A/D converter"

ha good catch! damn my skim reading

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2012
I really hope that the resolution and sensor type are not true.... 24MP on a APS-C sensor with the current manufacturing technology is a certain disaster for Canon/7Dmk2.

Maybe they will start to use the new 180nm technology on the new sensor and than ... who knows maybe will come something worth buying in terms of sharpness and ISO performance.

Canon MUST do something with their cameras/sensors performance, because Nikon (using Sony sensors) are way ahead; every single day they loose market share. They must be little bit less greedy and ofer little more for the correct price ( like others DSLR's manufacturing companies does).

The days when they rely on the excellent lens lineup and afford to produce less bodies at higher prices are starting to vanish (and here i refer to 2012 announcements)... like in natural selection; adapt or slowly die.

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2011
Paris
I'm pretty sure this is all about speculation and if the 7D mark II exists en 2013 (which is definitely not 100% sure) it'll be with very different specs in my opinion.

And it's starts with this 24 MP with an APSC sensor, i really hope it won't be exact, something between 16 to 20 would be great !

What i want is the kind of AF of the 5D mark III, better noise reduction and great high iso performances...

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
New Ergonomic Design

Why is everyone assuming this means smaller? I find the design of a 1-series body to be much more ergonomic. :)
Here, here! I couldn't agree more Neuro. I shoot with a 7d and it's fairly comfortable with my grip. I've held and shot several of the 1 series bodies and also find them even more favorable yet. New Ergonomic design could definitely mean larger, more aero-dynamic, ergonomic... That would indeed be nice! Here's to hoping! ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.