Here are some crazy Canon EOS R1 specifications [CR0]

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019
It'll most likely be 36-40 mpx, stacked CMOS, no LPF(hopefully), 30 fps 12bit compressed, 20 fps lossless 14bit - just like the Sony a1.
The biggest thing/hope for me is the AF in video getting as good as the Photo AF, so again, hopefully, the QP will answer that prayer:)
85mpx GS in 10 years? Maybe. As of now is a total BS.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
This would actually explain why Sony came out with their A1 so quickly. If they know something like this is coming out, they’d want to be first on the market (like they did with the A7R4, right before the Canon R5 came out). This also shows the benefits of creating your own sensors! Nikon should start doing that again soon!
How does that explain anything? Unless you have documentation or quotes from Sony decision makers, causation is very difficult to prove. The A7r4 was announced ten or more months before the R5. "I suspect companies always want to be first on the market." More than likely--and just as good an explanation--Sony had produced a workable high MP sensor and wanted to take the high-MP crown from Nikon (remember, Nikon held the crown for awhile at 45.7MP). Similarly with the A1. The A1 is the camera the A9II should have been (my opinion), but the 50MP stacked sensor just wasn't ready. Now it's ready, so the A1 is released. Thus, rather than a "quick" release, the A1 is actually 15-16 months late.

Do I have inside knowledge to support this hypothesis? No, but my explanation is at least as good as yours and far more compelling.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I agree. Also, if they really do have quad pixel AF, they don't need to go high resolution, as they can (and should) interpolate using the sub-pixels, so the camera can either be a ~24MP Bayer array (by combining the quad AF sensels similar to how they currently combine the dual pixel sensels), OR they can leave them uncombined and effectively have a CFA array that looks like:

RRGG
RRGG
GGBB
GGBB

The ~6000x4000 pixel bayer array would then effectively be ~12000x8000 pixels, R, G, and B quad sitting under one color filter color and micro-lens. It would effectively have ~96MP, or ~24MP depending on if you combined the quad pixels in camera or not. That would be pretty awesome.
Why they never did it with dual pixel?

Upvote 0
How does that explain anything? Unless you have documentation or quotes from Sony decision makers, causation is very difficult to prove. The A7r4 was announced ten or more months before the R5. "I suspect companies always want to be first on the market." More than likely--and just as good an explanation--Sony had produced a workable high MP sensor and wanted to take the high-MP crown from Nikon (remember, Nikon held the crown for awhile at 45.7MP). Similarly with the A1. The A1 is the camera the A9II should have been (my opinion), but the 50MP stacked sensor just wasn't ready. Now it's ready, so the A1 is released. Thus, rather than a "quick" release, the A1 is actually 15-16 months late.

Do I have inside knowledge to support this hypothesis? No, but my explanation is at least as good as yours and far more compelling.
It amuses me how common this fallacy is (Cum hoc ergo propter hoc). Our brain most of the time quickly wants to jump to conclusions. Takes a lot of effort and probably not possible (or favourable) at all to think critical all the time. Our brain is great at making up stories based on the info that is available at that moment in our brain.

It is fascinating to me what we can achieve with our brain yet still very flawed in some ways.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
  • Approx: 85MP global shutter CMOS imaging sensor
  • 15.5 EV+ Dynamic Range
These two points go hand in hand if it has the sensor whose patent was covered on this site about 12-18 months ago.

The shutter had two charge storages per pixel and could switch between them in a global fashion. This allowed things such as global shutter, one-shot HDR and so on.

The site manager argued with me at the time, basically claiming the patent he was sharing wasn't ever going to see production, but I think there's a good chance this is it.
Conversely, if you seek to create a somewhat seemingly valid rumor, you base it upon a unicorn patent.

Upvote 0
Why they never did it with dual pixel?
In the dual pixel configuration, both photodiodes share the same microlens so you cannot really get any more resolution out of reading out each individually. I guess if the quad pixel configuration has a distinct microlens for each photodiode you could get more resolution, but then I'm not sure how that affects the phase information. In any case this rumor seems more like someone's wish list than reality.

Upvote 0