Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
You're just rude. You waited for the price announcement and then went through the thread to call attention to anyone who guessed wrong about something. It's antisocial behavior.

No, I was too busy yesterday to spend any time here. In fact, I've been too busy for several weeks until today.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
For me that lack of a thumb wheel is a no go. I've been using Canon EOS cameras since the 90's and using it has become second nature to me. All the Canon cameras I've owned (20 or so over the years) have had one. I was hoping that the R7 would be a good camera to pair with my R5, but I think I'll pass.

Isn't that a thumbwheel around the joystick? It's just in a weird place which I'm not thrilled about, but until I can try it I'm not going to say it is an improvement or a step back from previous designs. I will say I would have preferred it to have been down lower, but there may not have been enough room inside the camera with the memory card bays there.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You're just rude. You waited for the price announcement and then went through the thread to call attention to anyone who guessed wrong about something. It's antisocial behavior.
Michael is not rude - he is pretty direct, as usual, and he normally posts in blocks as he goes though a large backlog for him.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The photo of the R7 can't be real. It looks like a rebel, not a professional wildlife camera and successor to the 7DII. If it is real, then what we are getting is yet another drastic change in controls that means it really can't be paired, workflow-wise, side-by-side with a R6 or R5. Much like Canon's experiment with the touch bar on the R, this will prove very unpopular. The 4-way controller and the whole back of the camera just scream Rebel T2i.

It's been my impression for a long time that Canon felt like they made the 7D Mark II TOO MUCH like the 1D X/1D X Mark II at one-fourth the price and as a result lost too many 1D X sales to 7D Mark II sales from potential buyers who could have afforded the 1D X /1D X Mark II if the 7D Mark II had not existed.

So maybe they are intentionally making the R7 look and feel less like the R3/R5/R6 (and future R1) to avoid that this time?

Many shooters who aren't trying to make a living with their cameras seem to care as much about what other shooters think of their equipment as they do about what kind of return on investment the equipment can give them. Those types will avoid the R7 like the plague because it doesn't look like it belongs to the R5/R6 "family" of bodies.

There are even a few comments earlier in this thread that reflect that perspective. They're not interested in the R7 strictly based on the fact it doesn't "look" professional. There are also comments earlier in this thread from working pros that say they care more about what a camera can do than what others might think when they see them holding it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Indeed, Alan.
I did a hands on review on the 90D nearly 3 years ago, and it's interesting for me to go back to it.

Upvote 0
It's been my impression for a long time that Canon felt like they made the 7D Mark II TOO MUCH like the 1D X/1D X Mark II at one-fourth the price and as a result lost too many 1D X sales to 7D Mark II sales from potential buyers who could have afforded the 1D X /1D X Mark II if the 7D Mark II had not existed.
Probably what happened is those who could afford the 1D X bought the 7D II first thinking that it would work just fine, then realize they had bought a $1,799 body and not a $5,999 top of the line 1D X. So they bought an additional body when they bought the 1D X when they realized their mistake.

You get what you pay for, with a $1,499 camera the R7 will no doubt give you $1,499 performance. One thing about Canon, they seldom discount performance.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Probably what happened is those who could afford the 1D X bought the 7D II first thinking that it would work just fine, then realize they had bought a $1,799 body and not a $5,999 top of the line 1D X. So they bought an additional body when they bought the 1D X when they realized their mistake.

You get what you pay for, with a $1,499 camera the R7 will no doubt give you $1,499 performance. One thing about Canon, they seldom discount performance.

My 7D Mark II is still serving me fairly well, though it is starting to show signs of the wear I've put on it over the last seven years. It's every bit as weather resistant as anything else. I've used it in deluges with zero issues.

2110153009MC729176LR.JPG

Do the pictures look as good as a 1D X when pixel peeping? Of course not, but no one should expect them to. But they look good enough for what I need.

2010092001LR.JPG

Upvote 0
No, he's rude, as others have confirmed. Has nothing to do with responding to posts in blocks.
You have 755 posts, if this is the first time someone has posted a rude comment that offended you congratulations, you probably set some kind of record.

There are posters that are much more rude than Michael ever thought of being.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The electronic shutter of the R7 will basically never wear out mechanically. By coincidence, I just sold all my M kit to MPB. Are you in the UK as well?
No -not too far away though - Ireland. At least with MPB you can get rid of the things you don't need anymore. They make a good markup but they have to deal with alot of returns etc.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
We'll see what the AF performance looks like compared to the R5/R7. And at least it does have two memory card slots and a 200,000 shutter durability rating rather than the 90D's abysmal 120K. So it seems to be a mixed bag between the 90D and the continuation of the 7D line.
I wouldn’t call the 90D’s 120K shutter life “abysmal”. It was a consumer/hobbyist product. For somebody who shoots a couple hundred pics every weekend, say 20K per year, that’s a six year life. Not bad for a consumer product.

It wasn’t meant for somebody who shoots hundreds or thousands of pics per day. Or who worries about resale value.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My 7D Mark II is still serving me fairly well, though it is starting to show signs of the wear I've put on it over the last seven years. It's every bit as weather resistant as anything else. I've used it in deluges with zero issues.

Do the pictures look as good as a 1D X when pixel peeping? Of course not, but no one should expect them to. But they look good enough for what I need.

I had two 7D II's and a 7D. I learned the lesson that you get what you pay for. The 7D II is a fine camera, but the 1D bodies were better. My 7D's always ended up at home or as loaners.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
You have 755 posts, if this is the first time someone has posted a rude comment that offended you congratulations, you probably set some kind of record.

There are posters that are much more rude than Michael ever thought of being.

I don't know what you think you're contributing to the conversation, but rest assured, you've failed.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You realize that the sensors on the A6100/6400/6600 and Z50/Zfc are 5 years old at least, right? And they have the same EVF resolution or worse, and worse screen resolution. Also, they don't shoot as fast, have video recording limits, and worse thermal architecture...
I mean, I'm usually hyper-critical of Canon. I see fault in everything they do. But the release of the R7/10 is, if anything, a massive kick in everyone's collective asses. Sony, Nikon and even Fujifilm. They've been slacking.
Careful! You'll confuse them with facts.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Here are full buffer specs of R7, quite disappointing buffer depth plus lack of CFx slot means its going to be long write times to card from buffer.
View attachment 203845

Edit: link to detailed spec list:

With a fast UHS-II card buffer depth is still significantly better than either the 90D or the 7D Mark II.

I'm guessing that most sports shooters will go with mechanical shutter (to avoid rolling shutter effect). Shoot C-RAW and the buffer is much larger than the 90D/7DII/M6II.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I really hope it's true, but i wonder how these two systems could exists side by side. Where is the line between the two? If Canon only released the R7 then it woulf be clear, but the R10 makes it messy.

Speaking of the R10: why would you buy it of there is the RP or something like the Fuji X-S10 which offers more in a more mature APS-C system...

I think Canon may be couching their bet a little based on current economic uncertainty due to the events in eastern Europe and the effect on energy prices. They can give near continuous "instant rebates" if economic conditions improve a lot easier than they can raise the price after release if things get worse.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I really hope it's true, but i wonder how these two systems could exists side by side. Where is the line between the two? If Canon only released the R7 then it woulf be clear, but the R10 makes it messy.

Speaking of the R10: why would you buy it of there is the RP or something like the Fuji X-S10 which offers more in a more mature APS-C system...
That's like asking how can EF and RF lenses exist alongside Canon Cinema lenses? Or how can C-series video cameras exist alongside the R3/R5/R6 and 1D X III/5DIV, etc.?

They're aimed at different markets, that's how.

The EOS-M users in this group are the exceptions to the typical EOS M system buyer.

Upvote 0