Is September 14 the day we finally get the official Canon EOS R3 announcement?

Jul 21, 2010
It just does not make any sense to me.
Obviously. But it makes sense to a multibillion dollar, multinational corporation with a substantial investment in market research and a decades-long track record of leading the ILC market. But apparently you think you know better. Right.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Will be nice to see a formal announcement with all specifications, but at this stage I am more interested in learning what lens will be coming next in the RF roadmap. I realize that due to chip shortages that delays are reality, but would just like to have some idea of what is coming down the pipeline wrt lenses.
Completely agree. In my case, I keep hoping for that RF 10-24 L to materialize, even though I know the EF 12-24 coupled to Canon's EF-RF drop-in-filter adapter is a formidable combo and not obtainable in the RF version. At least, not yet. I'm trying to go all in on RF.

Upvote 0
I think they drew the anticipation about this camera too long. I can appreciate that some of this was because they wanted testing at the Olympics. I am happy to continue with my R5 and wait for an R1.
I can understand that and a big part of me agrees. Canon wants to make sure the R3 is 'flawless' in that I mean, minimized issues. The R5 had major heating issues in video mode. The R3 needs to have little issues, that the buyer can say, "I can live with that." Canon should have addressed the heating issue in the R5 before release, and now they're gun-shy of making an announcement too soon. I'll be sticking with Canon RF series, because they have the lenses I want/need right now. Sony and Nikon have very little.

Upvote 0
I think much of the world was blindsided by both the new, more contagious Delta variant and by the high proportion of crackpots who would refuse to either wear masks or get a vaccine.
Because of people like you we have still a "world wide pandemic".

Better inform yourself first, before you make a fool of yourself here and insult others.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I think that you are referring to the Bliss Point for food
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bliss_point_(food)
It applies to salt/sugar and fat which is why ice cream and in particular salted caramel ice cream is a hit to your brain. Substituting cheaper high fructose corn syrup (high tariffs on imported sugar and US subsidies) for sugar made it even sweeter = 1.5x weight for weight.

That said, it is possible to get used to lower salt/fat/sugar. I don't enjoy anything particularly sweet anymore which can only be good for me.
Yes, that is a similar effect. But people better leave my icecream alone! lol. I lived through the soup thing as a highly interested observer as I was in the food industry at the time, and our company also made soup products.

Upvote 0

JamesG25

EOS R3 (ordered), R5 , R and RP
Jul 31, 2021
Hopefully it will be Sept 14 and the speculation can end and reviews can start.
I'll be interested too in Canon's logic / story about the camera.
Its feels like a R1, R2, R3 naming afterthought when Canon got concerned it wasn't good enough to be an R1.
It will be interesting to hear Canon's take.
Is it that they thought the R1 could be even better but not ready yet and went for a compromise or whether it was designed and conceived as an R3 to take up a particular spot in the market.
Not sure what that slot is that wouldn't also be the R1 slot.
If the focusing is good on the R3 it will be difficult to distinguish it from the R1 other than MP.
I'll look forward to the R1 rumours and what will make it better than the R3.
I think they will differentiate the R1 with following:

1. 40+ MP
2. Quad Pixel Auto focus
3. 8K video
4. Next generation DIGIX processor with slightly higher fps and less heat generation
5. Dual CF Express card slots
6. Best Battery life
7. Higher resolution EVF and touch screen
8. A few ergonomics tweaks based on any feedback they get on R3 body

Canon will need to do enough to warrant a a $2000k + price difference from R3 and for people wanting a 40+ MP sensor enough reasons to choose an R1 over an R5, and justify what will likely be a ~$3500 price difference.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
rant
At this point I don't care one way or the other about the R3, but can we please move on from blabbering about it being a pandemic and using that as a sole excuse for the lack of releases or availability?! This isn't a year ago when we were blindsided by this stuff and everything shut down, it's been long enough now that things can be planned around the deficiencies. Yes, we're still dealing with the fallout from the pandemic, I GET IT, but let's stop using that as the end-all-be-all for why something isn't released or why information is scarce.
/rant
I understand your frustration. But the pandemic (or the hype of it) has certainly slowed down shipments, manufacturing, labour etc. Companies are suffering because they are unable to meet the demand.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
You should really tell Canon this, clearly they have no idea.

Rather than repeat myself, I’ll just quote myself and save the keystrokes. One of them is even in response to you. Still waiting to see your extensive market research data. Not going to hold my breath, though.

Your sarcastic "clearly Canon has no idea" is misplaced. They quite obviously do market research, they send out prototypes to field test, and they get direct feedback from you and me. But the only reason they get that feedback is because e.g. sometimes they "forget" to include a demanded feature, or some aspect of the design (e.g. the swipe bar on the R) is condemned by users.

They have chosen 24MP for the R3, but NOT because it is the ideal resolution. Like everything, it is a compromise. In this case they probably wanted to keep the cost of the camera lower in the hope that it would become the standard "affordable" workhorse.

A higher resolution would be beneficial to almost all users, as it allows an option to crop quite heavily - and that is particularly valuable to the sports, wildlife and reportage users who are likely the target market. A higher resolution has no DR penalties, and for a given print size has no noise penalties either. It's widely accepted that most sports and reportage photographers shoot JPEGs to minimise file sizes, minimise processing and minimise transmission times, so for *most* of them, buffering isn't an issue either.

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people would rather have higher MP, so long as there is an option to select a lower resolution when needed. And no, I can't support that with data, but you can't dismiss it, as you have no alternative data.

If there were two versions of the R3, one with 24MP, and the other 45MP (with an option to select a lower res when needed), and both bodies were the same price, only a fool would buy the 24MP version. Clearly the reason why Canon have limited it to 24MP is to keep the price down.

Now please show me *your* extensive market research that proves otherwise. I wait with bated breath.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..] But the only reason they get that feedback is because e.g. sometimes they "forget" to include a demanded feature,[..]
I remember the missing 24P in video mode issue, Canon did finally release a firmware update adding that. I wonder what the threshold is for getting such things added back, it might make organizing campains a bit easier :)

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Obviously. But it makes sense to a multibillion dollar, multinational corporation with a substantial investment in market research and a decades-long track record of leading the ILC market. But apparently you think you know better. Right.
He actually might know better. A company is only as good as it's employees which are just regular people that don't know everything.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Canon made a good looking, smaller pro-body that has enthusiasts salivating, but they want to use it for other purposes than sports. Hurry up and make R3ii with 45mp Canon ;-)
I don't see any likelihood of that happening, as the R5 covers that resolution. Although it's by no means perfect, it covers almost all applications and is built well enough for anything other than extreme conditions.

It's possible that the R1 might have 45MP, but my guess is around 36MP.

... and Canon are known to have a high MP camera in the pipeline - initially rumoured ;) to be 90MP. But Sony will almost certainly beat that with the "a7Rv", and Canon will be keen to retake the high MP crown, so who knows what they'll come up with?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It's fine to state facts, it's fine to state your *opinion*, it's fine to *disagree* with people.

But why are your posts always so self-righteous and condescending?

You really need to dump that superiority complex.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
R3 series will be sports
R1 series will be commercial
R3 is for much more than sports.
IMO it's designed to be an all-rounder - a tough workhorse for sports, wildlife, reportage, event, wedding and just about anything else that doesn't require higher resolution.
I view it as a mirrorless 5DMkiv with an integrated vertical grip, and I'm guessing that it will be priced between $4500-5000.

R1 at the moment is a mystery, but will have to compete with Sony a1 and Nikon Z9, so ideally it would have 45MP or more, although an ultrafast 36MP is an alternative.

I don't think either camera are aimed at the "commercial" market, by which I mean architectural, studio, product, fine art, landscape and other high-resolution applications - these will be the realm of the rumoured 90MP (or more) model, i.e. the mirrorless replacement for the 5DSR.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people would rather have higher MP, so long as there is an option to select a lower resolution when needed. And no, I can't support that with data, but you can't dismiss it, as you have no alternative data.

Now please show me *your* extensive market research that proves otherwise. I wait with bated breath.
Lol. I’m not the one making unsupported claims like, “The vast majority of people would rather have higher MP.” I’ve never claimed to have data, but Canon does, and they have (presumably) chosen to launch the R3 with 24 MP.

Clearly the reason why Canon have limited it to 24MP is to keep the price down.
Ahhh, so that’s why the 60 MP Sony a7R IV costs so much more than the 12 MP a7S III…oh, wait, they both launched at the same $3500 price.

As I stated before, what this boils down to is Canon’s data says their target market will buy the R3 at 24 MP, but you want more and you’re flailing around for reasons why Canon isn’t giving you what you want instead of just accepting the facts as they are.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0