More features coming to Canon EOS R5 in future firmware [CR2]

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I'll be paying $558 to have them repair the camera that their firmware update killed. I hope that upon completion they shed some light on what happened.
Why? IF the reason why your camera bricked is due to a firmware update that Canon have publicly released, and IF you performed the update according to the provided instructions, then Canon are liable for the costs of repair, not you. Get legal advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I just got the RF 100-500 and its extending downside is only barely balanced out by it's compact size for hiking, birding, moving around a lot...
I don't find the extending zoom a problem, and I'm glad the lens is more compact than a non-extending zoom would be.

My only real complaint is the limitation on minimum focal length when using extenders. Normally a 2x extender would turn a 100-500mm into a 200-1000mm, which would be infinitely more useful than the 600-1000mm that results from the inability to use extenders at settings below 300mm.

For birding, the limitation is mildly annoying, but for safaris when I'm photographing large mammals as well as birds, I'd have to swap out the extender every time I encounter a large animal. And swapping lenses isn't something I'd recommend in dusty safari conditions, or in a moving jeep.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Why? IF the reason why your camera bricked is due to a firmware update that Canon have publicly released, and IF you performed the update according to the provided instructions, then Canon are liable for the costs of repair, not you. Get legal advice!
When something unbelievable gets reported there is usually more to the story.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
When something unbelievable gets reported there is usually more to the story.
Indeed. I suspect that @InchMetric may have accidentally (unknowingly, or out of frustration perhaps) touched a button during the firmware upgrade, although I didn't get a response when I suggested that possibility in my original reply to him. It's also rather strange that he *accepted* the quote from Canon for the repair, if he believed that the firmware had been the cause of the camera breaking.

It sometimes takes a full minute for the installation to begin, and once started it can seem to get "stuck" (much like Mac upgrades), so it's understandable that someone could think the upgrade had stalled, when in fact it's just v-e-r-y slow.

This is precisely why Canon issues a *warning* with the download, telling users that prior to installing, they must:
  • fully charge the battery
  • remove any lens or accessory
.... and that during the install process, they must NOT:
  • touch any button
  • power-off the camera
When Canon issues a warning, ignore it at one's own peril.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I don't find the extending zoom a problem, and I'm glad the lens is more compact than a non-extending zoom would be.

My only real complaint is the limitation on minimum focal length when using extenders. Normally a 2x extender would turn a 100-500mm into a 200-1000mm, which would be infinitely more useful than the 600-1000mm that results from the inability to use extenders at settings below 300mm.

For birding, the limitation is mildly annoying, but for safaris when I'm photographing large mammals as well as birds, I'd have to swap out the extender every time I encounter a large animal. And swapping lenses isn't something I'd recommend in dusty safari conditions, or in a moving jeep.
"Infinitely" is a slight exaggeration! To be fully prepared for safari you need two bodies and two lenses in case of back up being required for equipment failure. It's easy for me as my wife takes the shorter zoom gear and I used to take the prime but now she takes the R7 + RF 100-400mm and I take the R5 + RF 100-500mm + extenders. I also used to throw in the Sony RX10 IV as I could quickly grab it for a 24-600mm fov, which is great for close up or scenes. I now take a second R body with an RF 24-240 or 18-150 for wider angles.

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
Stranger things have happened. I've only had one device become bricked after a FW update. It was a motherboard. I had done many and knew exactly what i was doing. I had also taken additional precautions such as having its power connected to a UPS, making a back up image the existing FW, etc. Flash went smoothly and reported success. Then reboot and uh-oh. That was when I stopped trusting Asus "Crash-Free" BIOS. Nothing I did could get the system to boot for reflash. My back up was useless. Asus was no help. I subsequently switched to Gigabyte. That was about 15 yrs ago.

I upgraded my R5 C last week and am going through my lenses now. I suspect lens breathing correction in video will be added this summer. Might as well be ready. After "set" is pressed you don't touch it.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
"Infinitely" is a slight exaggeration! To be fully prepared for safari you need two bodies and two lenses in case of back up being required for equipment failure. It's easy for me as my wife takes the shorter zoom gear and I used to take the prime but now she takes the R7 + RF 100-400mm and I take the R5 + RF 100-500mm + extenders. I also used to throw in the Sony RX10 IV as I could quickly grab it for a 24-600mm fov, which is great for close up or scenes. I now take a second R body with an RF 24-240 or 18-150 for wider angles.
Infinitely may be an exaggeration, but an effective 600-1000mm zoom is totally useless to me for most animal photography. I absolutely agree that to be completely prepared, the ideal option is to have one camera for animals (R5 + 100-500mm) and another camera for birds (R5/R7 with another 100-500mm + 2x extender). The cost of the extra kit, even at grey prices would be equal or greater than the cost of an entire 2 week safari. The last time I did a safari I supplemented my R5 + 100-500mm with my 800/11 on a borrowed R. Not the ideal solution, but I consider myself extremely lucky that I can afford even that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2012
Perhaps the only thing that would make me buy an R5 over the R6II is the implementation of OVF assist and/or the new auto-focusing technology from the R6 II including the auto choose nearest eye feature and the general improvements in stickiness. I doubt they'll come until the Mark II.
The motorcycle AF alone would make the R5 and instant purchase for me over the R6 II.

• touch any button
  • power-off the camera
To be fair, engineering the cameras so that pushing a button during a firmware update doesn't brick the unit would be a great start.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Indeed. I suspect that @InchMetric may have accidentally (unknowingly, or out of frustration perhaps) touched a button during the firmware upgrade, although I didn't get a response when I suggested that possibility in my original reply to him. It's also rather strange that he *accepted* the quote from Canon for the repair, if he believed that the firmware had been the cause of the camera breaking.

It sometimes takes a full minute for the installation to begin, and once started it can seem to get "stuck" (much like Mac upgrades), so it's understandable that someone could think the upgrade had stalled, when in fact it's just v-e-r-y slow.

This is precisely why Canon issues a *warning* with the download, telling users that prior to installing, they must:
  • fully charge the battery
  • remove any lens or accessory
  • touch any button
  • power-off the camera
I followed all the instructions, set the camera down and then started the update- no problem here!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
To be fair, engineering the cameras so that pushing a button during a firmware update doesn't brick the unit would be a great start.
I don't think this warning means anything more than "if the camera loses power mid-update, the recovery may involve steps not covered by the update instructions".

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The motorcycle AF alone would make the R5 and instant purchase for me over the R6 II.

To be fair, I’ve done lots of things wrong during firmware updates and not had any problems. I’m in the “coincidence” rather than “cause and effect” camp.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Curious if one has to use canon software like DPP to take advantage of this feature.
Anyone know? Like the dual pixel focus I believe is only available with canon software.
I’m not a fan of Canon RAW processing software. Personally, I prefer Capture One.
If you mean pixel shift then no, the output is a jpg file. RAW output is not an option.

Upvote 0
Have you seen this? It's designed for the new multifunction shoe.

I haven't used one, and likely won't as I don't shoot video on my R3. I do have the DM-100 for my Vixia HF G60 camcorder, and it works quite well.
Hi, yes I was thinking of that mic when I wrote. Unfortunately Canon's new mic tested badly in the reviews I saw. It has similar sound quality to the $100 Sennheiser MKE200, while the price and profile is higher than the outstanding Sennheiser MKE440.

I hope/expect Canon will release at least two mics in future without battery; one small like the MKE200 and one large like the current one, but with much better sound quality.

Upvote 0
Not sure what the issue is - servo (=C-AF) is designed to track subjects continuously as they move away from, or towards the camera, either when shooting single shots, or when shooting bursts.
In fact, it is not tracking anything. It focuses on anything coming under your focus point, and that is the last thing I am insterested in.

I find it extremely useful when photographing small "static" subjects that are actually moving back and forth on the breeze - a typical example might be a butterfly on a flowerhead, or a dragonfly on a stem.
Even in such case, I would prefer to lock on certain object / aspect, and keep that in focus, whatever my framing is.
Eventually, AI and machine-learning will result in cameras being more "intelligent" and able to predict subject movement much better, but those days have not yet arrived.

Can you explain what you mean by "messy"?

AI Servo / Servo AF exists from times, where there was no advanced object tracking available. What I find "messy" is, that Servo mode works in mostly an opposite manner to the tracking:

• Tracking - select the object, lock it, track it, keep in focus, whatever my framing is
  • Servo - constantly refocus on whatever is available under my focus point, no matter, if it makes sense, e.g. two persons heads, and mistakenly focusing on space between the heads, having bg in focus and persons out of focus. Not much useful imo.

• Haha
Upvote 0