Rumors of a Canon EOS R5c and EOS R5s [CR1]

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Canon should have just done everything right the first time. Adding another camera to the R line to combat the overheating just makes you lose more faith with consumers. I don't want to have to buy a whole new camera just because Canon didn't get it right the first time

Those who live in the real world understand limitations and believe Canon did the R5 “right” the first time.

From what I’ve read the only people disappointed in the R5 are people who bought in to the hype (mostly driven by click whores on YouTube) that drove expectations beyond realistic capabilities.

Nobody forced anyone to buy the R5. If people bought it based on their own expectations prior to release and real world testing they have no one to blame except themselves.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If Canon can standardize on a couple of body designs ( like car makers do), then maybe they can widen their Camera offerings with different sensors and electronics tweaks at little increase in production costs. Otherwise it is hard to see how they will make money by fractionating their offerings into so many niche pockets.
Canon is reusing bodies, image sensors, and image processors.
It also seems like they reuse a lot of the same software.
Canon is a huge company that makes a lot of unrelated products.
I am not sure that several camera product lines would be a big problem for them.

Upvote 0
Canon should have just done everything right the first time. Adding another camera to the R line to combat the overheating just makes you lose more faith with consumers. I don't want to have to buy a whole new camera just because Canon didn't get it right the first time

Canon did not get the R5 right the first time how??? The R5 is firstly a stills camera and is also the first mirrorless stills camera that has 8K video. What other camera has that?

Canon is now, according to this rumor, putting out another camera that is more video focused. How does that make customers lose faith when that is how things are done? Have people lost faith in Sony or Panasonic when they put out different cameras for different purposes?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I wouldn't hold any credence to what Canon Watch is reporting. A heat sink doesn't do a darn thing without a fan or dissipation. Period. And Canon knows that. Most everyone else in electronics does also. So the crap about heat sink is pretty much BS. Without a vent, space, or fan, it would pretty much be useless. Besides there's already a thin heatsink inside the tightly sealed R5 body, discovered during a recent teardown. Very little it does without dissipation of fast rising internal temperatures. Reach inside your PC and disconnect the fan and see how much that heat sink will do on its own when you start processing any video. Smartphones have heat sinks, and gamers still have to use external peltier smarphone radiator coolers.
I looked at the design of the S1H and the heatsink appears to be in a vented chamber outside of the weather sealing.
It basically looks like the Tilta R5 cooling unit inside of a chamber.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Those who live in the real world understand limitations and believe Canon did the R5 “right” the first time.

From what I’ve read the only people disappointed in the R5 are people who bought in to the hype (mostly driven by click whores on YouTube) that drove expectations beyond realistic capabilities.

Nobody forced anyone to buy the R5. If people bought it based on their own expectations prior to release and real world testing they have no one to blame except themselves.
I can forgive those people because the video in R5 is just useful enough to be frustrating.
There are no video modes in the R6 that can't be recorded externally without overheating.
Even then it is not so straight forward.
The fact that it turned into YouTube outrage against a conspiracy is another matter entirely.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I think it's great that Canon will (hopefully) come out with a lower-res video R camera, as well as a higher-res stills/hybrid R camera. We're lucky that they are coming out with so many bodies. I've always thought that I'd like to have 2 bodies so that I could have my 2 main lenses on them for quick access. The higher res stills/hybrid body might be just what I want to go along with the R5. I also think it's great that many others can get the new video R camera which should avoid the heat issues and make them happy. Everybody wins!

Now, as always, there's always new RF lenses I wish they'd come out with, like a 17-70L or 24-200L or whatever everybody else wants, too.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't hold any credence to what Canon Watch is reporting. A heat sink doesn't do a darn thing without a fan or dissipation. Period. And Canon knows that. Most everyone else in electronics does also. So the crap about heat sink is pretty much BS. Without a vent, space, or fan, it would pretty much be useless. Besides there's already a thin heatsink inside the tightly sealed R5 body, discovered during a recent teardown. Very little it does without dissipation of fast rising internal temperatures. Reach inside your PC and disconnect the fan and see how much that heat sink will do on its own when you start processing any video. Smartphones have heat sinks, and gamers still have to use external peltier smarphone radiator coolers.

Curious... this is a rumor of a new camera, so can we really say that they wouldn't add a fan somehow. It is possible, that they might just use the patented adaptor to evict the heat.

A thin heatsink... technically wrong. Thermodynamically a heat sink should have mass to "pull" in the heat. Then from there you push air over the heat sink to remove the heat from the heat sink. So when I saw the teardown video, I know that the video creators did not understand what they were seeing. Sadly, there was so much mis-information put out.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
If they made a metal conductor that went from the hot parts inside to the outside of the body - physically extended through the shell as a continuous piece - with a heat sync on the exposed part, the natural convection of just normal air, or better yet wind if outside, would help. If you put an active fan on that or a peltier device, it would go even better. But you'd have an inherent water vulnerability. You could weather seal around it, but in the event of a failure there its literally a conduit for water right where you don't want it. It would not be as good as a fan inside blowing directly on hot parts but with a way for fresh air to enter the body space.

-Brian

Upvote 0
Combining high resolution with "speed" sounds impossible. It of course depends on how you interprets the term "speed". But already 12fps sounds unrealistic in my ears?
Somebody's wishful thinking?

We know mechanical shutters can work that fast. The bottleneck is data throughput. An uncompressed RAW file out of that camera would probably be around 150MB, so the image processor would have to work at 1.8 GB/s to get the full 12 FPS. Certainly not impossible with modern day CPUs. But I doubt it would shoot uncompressed RAW that fast. It would probably have to be 12-bit or lower to get the maximum speed.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
OK! Now where are my 5DMkV and 5DsR MkII ? :LOL:
I didn't realize they belong to you, I thought they belong to the past.
No provocation intended, just curiosity. What is so valuable that you need to own a newly designed DSLR in 2020-2025? There must be some special reason, I just don't know.

Upvote 0
I didn't realize they belong to you, I thought they belong to the past.
No provocation intended, just curiosity. What is so valuable that you need to own a newly designed DSLR in 2020-2025? There must be some special reason, I just don't know.
An OVF maybe, for the nostalgic amongst us. And great battery life....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
This is the first time ever I see a CW rumor in CR without calling it BS :D but I think the video oriented R5 or R3 or whatever is just BS. I will bet my money on Cannot ain't making a video oriented R5 type mirror less camera. If Canon really wanted to deliver such a camera they would have made the R5 and R6 without overheating issues

Upvote 0
I just hope the added models don't create so much fragmentation they lose focus on fixing/augmenting things via firmware.
I can't understand why the Rate and Lock buttons can't be reassigned on the R5. I would not use them for their default purpose but I need to change between VF and LCD underwater and there aren't many options to do that as the face sensor is permanently blocked by the housing :-(

Upvote 0
Curious... this is a rumor of a new camera, so can we really say that they wouldn't add a fan somehow. It is possible, that they might just use the patented adaptor to evict the heat.

A thin heatsink... technically wrong. Thermodynamically a heat sink should have mass to "pull" in the heat. Then from there you push air over the heat sink to remove the heat from the heat sink. So when I saw the teardown video, I know that the video creators did not understand what they were seeing. Sadly, there was so much mis-information put out.
They could add a fan yes, but then the entire body would change - not just a heatsink.

so if they go a vented approach which would have most likely been indicated versus saying a "better heatsink"

even in the worse translated japanese, there is just too much fundamentally wrong with that rumor.

Upvote 0