This is What Canon is Announcing Tonight

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Below is a roundup of all the announcements you can expect from Canon tonight.</p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Canon EOS 77D</strong>

<em>$899 Body Only, $1049 w/18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM, $1499 w/18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM ($USD)</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EOS Rebel T7i

</strong><em>$749 Body only</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EOS M6</strong>

<em>A new mirrorless camera, basically an EOS M5 without an built-in EVF. $779 USD body only.</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM</strong>

<em>The new entry level kit lens</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon BR-E1</strong>

<em>A bluetooth remote for the new cameras, we’re not sure if it’ll work with others.</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EVF-DC2</strong>

<em>The new electronic viewfinder for the EOS M6.</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon </strong><strong>EH30-CJ

</strong><em>Likely a body jacket for the Canon EOS M6 camera. (Thanks Mikehit)</em></li>
</ul>
<p>This will be all Canon is announcing for the CP+ show in Yokohama, Japan which begins on February 23, 2017.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Sep 1, 2014
Canon Rumors said:
andrei1989 said:
what about the rumored EF-S prime? :(

It's coming, just not with this round of announcements. I hope to know for sure soon.

ok, thanks
it seems weird to me that they would anounce it separately, not with the 2 new aps-c bodies...
maybe a new crop body later this year? :p

Upvote 0
magarity said:
What's special about the 18-55? My old XTi came with one, except it is 3.5-5.6 while this new one is 4-5.6. Must be the motor type? Not all that exciting.
But it is about time to get a new APS-c - the T7 is looking good.
The old Rebel XTi came with a 18-55mm lens, good for 10 megapixel stills, but insufficient sharpness for the current 24 megapixel cameras.

The current 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM was a huge mechanical improvement, with very fast and quiet focus motor, ideal for video but has become bulky.

The new 18-55mm F4-5.6 IS STM is more compact, and should have lower manufacturing cost, although it is not yet known if the image quality will be as good as the current one.

Upvote 0
magarity said:
What's special about the 18-55? My old XTi came with one, except it is 3.5-5.6 while this new one is 4-5.6. Must be the motor type? Not all that exciting.
Why don't they make it 15mm wide end like their M kit lens? Luckily there is cheap 10-18mm lens not to bother about wide end.

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
ajfotofilmagem said:
magarity said:
The old Rebel XTi came with a 18-55mm lens, good for 10 megapixel stills, but insufficient sharpness for the current 24 megapixel cameras.

The current 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM was a huge mechanical improvement, with very fast and quiet focus motor, ideal for video but has become bulky.

The new 18-55mm F4-5.6 IS STM is more compact, and should have lower manufacturing cost, although it is not yet known if the image quality will be as good as the current one.

I always thought that the f3.5 in the 18-55 kit lens was a moot point anyway, it only stays 3.5 until 28mm or less if I remember correctly. Being small and having better corners will be more welcomed by its intended market anyway.

If it does have decent picture quality in a cupcake size, it might be fun just to buy a white-box one for use as a disposable lens. Sometimes I buy some of them dirt-cheap for use at potentially hazardous environment, like in airsoft games or Spartan races where I need to place the camera down to the dirt. (Maybe an action cam is better at the latter one though.

Upvote 0

arcer

Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
ritholtz said:
magarity said:
Why don't they make it 15mm wide end like their M kit lens? Luckily there is cheap 10-18mm lens not to bother about wide end.

The EF-M kit lens only goes to 45mm. They will need to sacrifice at the long end if they want to go wider, given that the size stays as small and cheap as it is. Making a 15-55mm is possible but that bigger range (even though it's only 3mm) requires additional or special lens elements, making the lens bigger and costing more. Not really the definition of a Rebel kit lens.
With all that's said, still hoping they make a newer 15-85mm. Or the coveted 17-55 f2.8 refresh.

Upvote 0

arcer

Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
Chaitanya said:
rrcphoto said:
magarity said:

it's smaller.
by 1.5cms only and its slower as well.

Hey, don't underestimate that 1.5cm. In someone's universe, it is quite plenty and worth millions of profit. ::)

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Chaitanya said:
rrcphoto said:
magarity said:

it's smaller.
1.5cm's is a pretty large reduction. 3.5 to 4 at only 18mm isn't going to make a bit if difference.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
arcer said:
Chaitanya said:
rrcphoto said:
magarity said:

it's smaller.

Hey, don't underestimate that 1.5cm. In someone's universe, it is quite plenty and worth millions of profit. ::)

looks pretty important to me:
0a54a8361d376f02a39a5670722f36a1.png

Upvote 0