Two Prosumer Mirrorless Camera Bodies in Development [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told that Canon is actively developing two “prosumer” mirrorless cameras, both of which are full frame.</p>
<p>We’re told that we’ll see the flagship mirrorless camera announced first, and that a lower tier second camera would come 6 to 8 months after the flagship begins shipping.</p>
<p>The same source has also told us that Canon has a “a really nice solution for EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless body”, which doesn’t sound like a native EF mount is coming. That said, we’ve heard other people say a similar thing about EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless camera, but no one has come out and confirmed whether or not the body will be EF mount or something else.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

May 11, 2017
naylor83 said:
The question is: WHEN? When will we know anything about these cameras? When Sigma release their Sony FE Art lenses and Tamron releases their 28-75 f/2.8 I'm not gonna hang around indefinitely to see what Canon may some day, eventually, produce in the full frame mirrorless segment.

Thanks for letting us know.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
<p>The same source has also told us that Canon has a “a really nice solution for EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless body”,</p>
If this is not the usual adapter with only air inside and some wiring on the barrel, there should be patent applications around it, I suppose. I sincerely hope this solution does not contain moving parts or optical elements.

Upvote 0
“a really nice solution for EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless body”

I really struggle to guess what this could be - it certainly seems to imply that it won't be built for only EF lenses, so what's left? A new lens mount with a new adapter? A telescoping lens mount? An lens mount which takes EF and EF(?) where the new lenses have optics which go into the camera past the mount to get the right flange distance? Time for some wild speculation?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
amorse said:

I really struggle to guess what this could be - it certainly seems to imply that it won't be built for only EF lenses, so what's left? A new lens mount with a new adapter? A telescoping lens mount? An lens mount which takes EF and EF(?) where the new lenses have optics which go into the camera past the mount to get the right flange distance? Time for some wild speculation?

Ask HarryFilm - he'll know. He has informants everywhere.

Upvote 0
amorse said:

My money is still on this. The lenses that can take advantage of this will take advantage of it. Wide angle lenses, and consumer lenses with very long zooms. I bet they could have fun with a zoom that moves the inside optics as well as the outside optics to make something very compact. Something with the same mount for the most part. They might even be able to make the protrusion inside collapsible, extended by your hand locking it into place. That twist could cause the protrusion to extend, thereby protecting older cameras from trying to mount something. This also protects the element at the end as when unmounted it's not protruding anymore than any other lens would.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
The same source has also told us that Canon has a “a really nice solution for EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless body”, which doesn’t sound like a native EF mount is coming.

It would be nice if that "solution" was a smart adapter with an SLT mirror and PDAF unit built in, which would also have a pentaprism OVF attached to the top which could somehow lock into place on the top of the camera body. It could work if Canon design the new mirrorless the same way as the Fuji GFX - use a modular body with a flat top to allow for an attachable EVF, or an OVF if using the EF to EM (or whatever the mount is called) adapter.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Mikehit said:
If the new camera is not a native EF mount then it is a problem for owners of EF lenses. Is it that hard to understand?

what problem? There is absolutely no problem, as long as EF glass can continued to be used on new mirrorless system ... a decent Canon "adapter" is definitely no problem, but a simple, cheap and effective solution to ensuring backwards compatibility for legacy EF glass.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I am not optics expert. I realize though that the only case where a non-EF mount is useful (for size purposes) is when wide angle up to normal fixed lenses are involved. But in these cases a shorter flange distance will make harder to make good lenses on the edges so they will be more expensive. I do not think this as practical considering the majority of all other lenses: Wide angle, normal and tele Zooms, portrait lenses, telephoto lenses, etc. And there are already portable solutions like 6D with a 35mm f/2 or the pancase 40mm or the 24 or 28 IS lenses for example.

Of course Canon would know better. I am just saying why I am not that thrilled about this. Unless the two models mean that one of the two will come with native EF mount :D :D :D

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
criscokkat said:
They might even be able to make the protrusion inside collapsible, extended by your hand locking it into place. That twist could cause the protrusion to extend, thereby protecting older cameras from trying to mount something. This also protects the element at the end as when unmounted it's not protruding anymore than any other lens would.
I really don't see anything like this happening. That would be a lot of added engineering and complexity just to protect people from doing stupid things. If you try to mount a lens on an improper camera, or don't properly protect your lenses when they're off of a camera, that's on you. No one is going to add complexity and introduce another possible point of failure just to protect from this.

Upvote 0
Canoneer said:
Canon Rumors said:
The same source has also told us that Canon has a “a really nice solution for EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless body”, which doesn’t sound like a native EF mount is coming.

It would be nice if that "solution" was a smart adapter with an SLT mirror and PDAF unit built in, which would also have a pentaprism OVF attached to the top which could somehow lock into place on the top of the camera body. It could work if Canon design the new mirrorless the same way as the Fuji GFX - use a modular body with a flat top to allow for an attachable EVF, or an OVF if using the EF to EM (or whatever the mount is called) adapter.

It's an interesting idea, but I wonder how that would affect the weather resistance of the body? I fell like that is one place where Canon's offerings still really outshine the mirrorless competition.

Upvote 0