Update – Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

If R5 mkii would be faster than R3, it may be faster than Z8 & Z9. Whu does Canon keep mechanical shutter?
Can they add 16 bit this time?
According to the specs, the ES is only 12-bit.
I am not sure why people want to see mechanical shutters disappear so much.
You do not need to use it if you do not want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
The 1DX III is faster.
It is not impossible.
Never said it is, I said it's harder to do it (aka more expensive). The 1DXIII is a flagship that has no cheaper option of shooting higher framerate than with a mechanical shutter, so they had to invest on the shutter. R5ii will be a cheaper camera, and, if rumors are right, it can already shoot 30 fps with no issues using ES. So, it would make no sense for them to spend money on a faster mechanical shutter, this would only get the camera more expensive with no real advantage.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Is the "right angles" about quad-pixel AF?

The mechanical shutter in the R5 is excellent. And it beats the forecast electronic shutter in fighting rolling shutter distortion. I don't know why I would need electronic shutter with the mechanical still intact. Lack of a smart controller is disappointing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Is the "right angles" about quad-pixel AF?
I am wondering if they are making it look a bit boxy. Personally, I hope not.

Overall, some reasonable specs in terms of what I would expect. As for details I will be watching:
  • Does the mechanical FPS drop with decreasing battery life?
  • Does faster fps and electronic shutter change the files from 14 to 13 to 12 bits?
  • Are there improvements to AF? Not just the eye-controlled bit, but subject/eye recognition and stickiness.
  • Any claims regarding improved IQ?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Overall, some reasonable specs in terms of what I would expect. As for details I will be watching:
  • Does faster fps and electronic shutter change the files from 14 to 13 to 12 bits?
  • Are there improvements to AF? Not just the eye-controlled bit, but subject/eye recognition and stickiness.

It would be insane to change the ergonomics much, so I certainly hope it doesn't look or feel radically different than other R cameras.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I looked through the patent making note of the comment to look at the camera type in the drawing.

Makes me speculate that Canon is going to do the following with the R5 Mk2:

1) Active cooling vertical grip, which makes a lot of sense IMO keep the body weather sealed and only the grip is not.
2) Internal ND filters are possible. Frankly I do not have a lot of use for these, but the few times I do landscapes they may be useful.
3) Right-angle Tiltable Viewfinder. Personally I would rather see a right-angle tiltable rear screen for up close macro work.

Just my opinions. Feel free to agree or disagree.

Upvote 0
According to the specs, the ES is only 12-bit.
I am not sure why people want to see mechanical shutters disappear so much.
You do not need tp use it if you do not want to.
Do you mean R5 ES is 12 bit or R5 mkii?
I search R3 os 14 bit.

If Canon's ES can do what MS does, I hope they can remove it because it can save the cost and weight.

I used 1DX mkii before. My 1DX mkii changes the shutter 2 times because of the shutter count makes the forcus delay a little bit.

R5 is 738g. If they remove the shutter. The weight may be under 650g. It is great.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the release of the R5 II with such specs at a $4K retail price point will translate into a massive price drop of the R3, maybe $3K for brand new and 2.7K for lightly used, a hair above the current original R5 prices .

Otherwise what's the point of the R3 beyond massive battery size and ergonomics?

The R5 II will probably do to the R3 what the A9 III did to the previous gen of A9 II.
I'm actually debating a cheaper R3 to replace my R6, vs. trading my R5 for a mkII. The R5 is great but the files are a bit big for high volume sports shooting, which I (sort of) do. The R3 at a lower price would be great for me. No RS (practically) and smaller files to deal with. But we'll see what the prices settle to after announcements and availability. I was originally aiming for an R1 just to say I had one, but I bet it'll be hard to justify its cost for what I do.
What does "we hope you like right angles" mean? Is this a joke I don't get?
<sinister speculation>
- Box style body
- square sensor
- evf is add-on, Minecraft block styling
- all buttons move to square from round
- square dials (a true innovation)
- limited rear LCD positions available (Canon is doomed cripple hammer)
</sinister speculation>

On FPS with battery - there was originally a rumor of a new battery with this body as well. Probably another LPE6 shape, but better chipped performance. Perhaps they will have improved the voltage profile such that full H+ speeds can be maintained below the half way point on the battery .

Brian

Upvote 0
The number I can find on the interwebs is that the R5 has 15.5ms readout time, the R3 has a 5.5ms readout time, that would put the R5II around 4.3ms. The R3 number matches the flash sync speed of 1/180, 30% improvement gets that up (down?) to 1/235.

The 30fps is a slight let down, I really hoped it would beat the 40fps my R8 can do. But 30fps at 14-bit would still be a massive improvement over the R5!
Still only 12 FPS MS while the R10 and R7 can do 15 FPS,

"Some of those things were slightly incorrect, and we can add some context, but have to be a bit vague and not divulge exact claimed numbers."

Upvote 0
30fps ES with better than R3 rolling shutter would be ... fantastic for me

Too bad about the R3 controllers, I would gladly take those over eye AF
Other way around here. I want/need Eye AF! So, I'm extremely happy with this choice!
So much that I called most retailers in France and Germany, asking for a preorder possibilty. Nope! I'll have to wait for the official announcement by Canon. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Other way around here. I want/need Eye AF! So, I'm extremely happy with this choice!
So much that I called most retailers in France and Germany, asking for a preorder possibilty. Nope! I'll have to wait for the official announcement by Canon. :)
If you've never tried it, you should do so before getting too excited. Your own physiology can affect its performance—deep set, squinty eyes are/have been a challenge for it. It was available in the EOS 3 a couple decades ago and while, yes, that was a couple decades ago, the feedback I read from users of the R3 were remarkably similar to my own experience with the EOS 3. To the extent that rumor sites have backed off the claim that the eye control in the R5 2 will feature next gen improvements, I would temper my expectations.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I want telekinesis AF.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
They need to leave something for the R3 crowd, otherwise who will buy the R3 now
Personally, I do not think we will see an update to the R3 anymore. If you believe the speculation on why the R3 was announced in the first place, it's clear to see that once the R1 is rolling and we have a much improved R5II- then there probably isn't going to be a demand for an R3, which will go down in the books as a one-and-done thing. I'd definitely like to see it turn into an R1-lite for those of us who want an integrated battery grip without the price tag of the flagship, but when has Canon ever listened to me lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0