UPDATED: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

Re: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

MayaTlab said:
... a typical smartphone. You don't have scene modes yet on iOS :D.

<Begin Sarcasm Watch> ;)

First - Typical smartphones have had scene modes available in tons of photo apps for years. Unfortunately, iOS isn't typical, it is Apple. Apple is never typical. And this means Apple users wait a long time to get features that are typical on other phone platforms. This is normal for all things iOS while Apple procrastinates and builds anticipation in its' user base so it can charge more $$ for things others already have and enjoy. Ah, gotta love the perceived superior Apple experience. I'm sorry that you can't find iOS photo apps with scene modes. Frankly, I find that a bit hard to believe even for Apple.

Second - It's sort of hard to follow your post. I think perhaps it wandered into rant territory and got a bit muddled. I tried to draw out my response about Apple above to match but I came up a bit short.

<End Sarcasm Watch> :p

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

LesC said:
Why no built in GPS. Since owning the 6D, wouldn't be without it. I've got the GPE2 receiver for my 100D/SL1 but so much nicer to have it built in. As it can be fitted in small compacts, no excuse for not having it in any new DSLRs now.

exactly. Not ot mention a built-in Canon RT süpeedlite commander. GPS will only come in the 90D and RT-commander in the 99D. By then Canon mirrorslapper iteration will hopefully have reached its final end.

Upvote 0

nhz said:
wow, those fanboys are funny :)

just for the record, my company worked as an OEM in imaging technology development with Canon; even though that is some years ago, I probably know a lot more about Canon technology, production and marketing than you.

What's equally funny is that you seem to have come here to bash Canon whilst dangling a 'I know Canon better than you' carrot whilst offering no further insight. If you've got an objective argument to make, fair enough. But with the drivel you've posted so far, I guess not. Or have you?

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

MayaTlab said:
First, even Canon's own entry-level cameras are as removed as possible from the current photo app experience in a typical smartphone. You don't have scene modes yet on iOS :D.

Scene mode I'm afraid is a borrowing from the past when camera makers tried to shield users from those terrible aperture and shutter speeds numbers. "Program" was the first step, but then cameras weren't able to "analyze" the scene and decide what was the best combination. So "scenes" were born. Now I guess it's mostly a marketing gimmick, "we have the new 'moor at dawn with a full moon and a hint of snow scene!'"

MayaTlab said:
Second, if the idea is to avoid confusing people, why then Canon insists on giving on (some, not even all !)

Guess it is more because developing a whole new firmware and UI from scratch is expensive, thereby it just adapts or the more pro ones, or the more consumer one.

MayaTlab said:
Because I'm not sure the 80D would prove to have a lot fewer buttons than a 5DS for example :D.

Guess you would lose this game :)

MayaTlab said:
Third, if the idea is to design for a target audience, I've witnessed some 1DX users who were clueless about

Which user? There will be the one who can afford an 1DX but should really buy an entry level Polaroid because has no real use of it. Others maybe just need a pro, very reliable camera, because they make out a living of it, and just learn what they need for what they do. Those camera are neverthless designed to fulfill pro requirements. Sure, some gear addicts may be able to recite you every function of cameras they don't own :)

Anyway, sometimes you can make something "easy to use" up to a given point, beyond it "easy" becomes synonym of "dumb" and also "not versatile" - someone remembers the Canon T50? Some training may be still required to be proficient with some complex devices, and a camera is still a complex device (digital ones more so). And remember a smartphone UI is may be intuitive (after you learnt how it works), but not "simple". For calling or answering a call, old dumbphones were much simpler, quicker and more intuitive. Think about a camera with only a touch screen - it would be very, very slow to operate - regardless of the UI.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

AvTvM said:
LesC said:
Why no built in GPS. Since owning the 6D, wouldn't be without it. I've got the GPE2 receiver for my 100D/SL1 but so much nicer to have it built in. As it can be fitted in small compacts, no excuse for not having it in any new DSLRs now.

exactly. Not ot mention a built-in Canon RT süpeedlite commander. GPS will only come in the 90D and RT-commander in the 99D. By then Canon mirrorslapper iteration will hopefully have reached its final end.

then they have to mass produce different hardware for different regions, or at least have it locked down in firmware - depending on the country though, they may have to have it without the hardware.

however there should be GPS in there.

RT is far more complex.

Upvote 0

SO NO HDMI CLEAN OUT? Like the 70D whacked off at the waist. Totally crippled on purpose. Only option is Magic Lantern Raw. Not like its brother nor the 5DMark III which have 422 8 bit clean HDMI out, although no audio on the 5D which is INSANE. When Sony and Lumix give us 4K with 10 bit clean out for this money this is just like crying in your boots folks. What in the world is Canon thinking? Holy Gobstoppers I will just use my follow focus and larger depth of field for moving shots and bye bye Canon.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

rrcphoto said:
AvTvM said:
LesC said:

then they have to mass produce different hardware for different regions, or at least have it locked down in firmware - depending on the country though, they may have to have it without the hardware.

however there should be GPS in there.

RT is far more complex.
OR.....

It's a partial list of specs...... and they didn't bother to list it.......

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

standard forum stuff for a rumour of a new body that has a partial list of specs......

It does not have all the features of every camera from every manufacturer so this means the instant demise of Canon......

It does not have the (insert feature) of the Canon (insert body) so it is obviously a plot to protect the (insert body).....

The (insert spec) is too (high, low, both) so it is a piece of (insert object).......

It does not have (insert feature) so I will never buy one and Canon will be doomed.......

It does have (above feature) so I will get one and Canon will be saved......

DXO rated it poorly (DUH! that's a given) so Canon is doomed.......

It has a Sony sensor and Canon is doomed.....
It does not have a Sony sensor and Canon is doomed....

Dilbert likes it so Canon is doomed......
Dilbert likes it so Canon is saved.....
Dilbert hates it so Canon is doomed.....
Dilbert hates it so Canon is saved.......

Neuro brings up market share comment.....

(just teasing guys..... it's all in good fun.... If you were here I'd buy you a beer :) )

It has no 4K video so Canon is doomed.... (unless it does have 4K video, in which case it is the WRONG 4K video and Canon is doomed)......

And when it finally gets released it sells well and people like it.......

Upvote 0

jebrady03 said:
Detailed additional specs:

Also from Digicame-info.

EOS 80D specs - new 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor.
Adopt a new miniaturization process
dual pixel CMOS AF
image processing engine DIGIC6
regular sensitivity ISO100-16000 (extension 25600)
7560-pixel RGB + IR metering sensor
AF 45 points (all points cross type).
AF distance measuring point of maximum 27 points F8 correspondence.
-3EV Correspondence
the new "L zone AF" four AF area selection modes including
continuous shooting 7 frames / sec.
3 frames / second at the silent continuous shooting mode
77 sheets The number of pictures in the JPEG (I assume sheets was a bad translation for images)
20 sheets in the RAW
live continuous shooting in the view mode 5 frames / sec. (AF tracking)
A new mirror vibration control system to keep the mirror shock (MVCS)
finder is 100% field of view, magnification 0.95 times
shutter 30 seconds - 1/8000 seconds.
Synchro 1/250 sec
three inches 1.04 million dot Vari-angle LCD monitor
built-in flash (guide number 12)
electronic level
new Picture Style "fine detail"
10 kinds of scene mode
anti-flicker
video is full HD 60fps - AF tracking
HDR movie
time-lapse movie
five types of movies Creative Filters
Wi-Fi
NFC
Remote shooting
media SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I compatible)
shutter durability of 100,000 times
USB terminal
HDMI terminal
microphone jack
headphone jack
remote control terminal
improved dust and water
battery LP-E6N / LP-E6
start-up time is 0.16 seconds
can be remotely captured using the power zoom function in combination with the EF-S18-135mm F3.5-5.6 iS USM and the power zoom adapter PZ-E1
size 139.0 x 105.2 x 78.5 mm
weight 730g (650g body only)

Pretty good. I am going to upgrade from 70d to 80d as long as there is a sensor improvement. First camera which can do live view focus during stills with DPAF. It is like best of both worlds (mirror and mirror less). 70D handily beat D7100 in servo capability. 80D is going to compete again d7200 and bonus is all those live view mirrorless goodies (AF tracking in video and stills). Nikon is yet to make competitive camera in terms of on sensor AF during live view. Sony is sony. They never going to make complementing lens for their crop system.

Upvote 0

tlieser

pixels don't make a picture
Feb 16, 2016
Vienna
thomas-lieser.smugmug.com

Ok folks.

I've been following this thread all through the day -- and I thought I should add my two cents worth.

My 50D must be around 150000 clicks (loads of Rugby games and other stuff were you shoot more than you keep). So I am in real need of a replacement.
To me the specs are mouthwatering -- I'm just hoping that the RAW files will be really usable at ISO6400 (in low light, wide open, slow shutter speed).
If this camera is up to its specifications it will more than fill the need of most photographers (yeah, I would like a 1DX2, for sure).

So let's wait for the first real pictures taken with it -- the rest is more than good enough for 99% of all photographers in the real world ;D

P.S.: Not all Canon shooters out there have the money to go out and buy equipment for thousands of dollars / euros.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015

Proscribo said:
WoodyWindy said:
Proscribo said:
Etienne said:

You can select the AF point using the touch screen, so it will be even faster than the toggle.
It won't be faster. Because you can't do that while looking through the VF.

The qc dial pretty clearly has the rocker-control center, so effectively there is still a joystick equivalent experience.
It really isn't and the problem lies in placement. D-pad is way too low to be used comfortably (this is my personal experience, but I assume that I'm not alone) and with joystick you can move around without lifting finger so it's a tad better there too. However using front and rear dials is otherwise a good way except that again, the rear dial is too low and it's pretty small on 80D.

I used to have 70D before 7DII so I do know that I personally prefer the joystick. It's not perfect but it's much nicer to use than the dials which I used with 70D.

Placement is *exactly* the issue; It's not that the D-Pad is bad, it's that it's really hard to reach and select with your thumb while shooting. When I moved from a 20D to a 60D I missed the joystick style selector immediately and it's not like either of those bodies have a ton of AF points.. The net result is that I tend to just not select AF points; if the AF system grabs the wrong point I'll focus and re-compose w/ the center point.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

nhz said:
VirtualRain said:
Not to be a jackass, but who is the target buyer for this? The DSLR market is quickly becoming niche, or more accurately, a series of niche markets... Pro sports: 1D, Wedding and events: 5D, Wildlife: 7D, Enthusiast: 6D,... Who is the 80D targeted at? What are they doing with it? Is it a decent sized market?
target buyer: primarily the fanboys and collectors who buy every new model. It's the usual Canon upgrade with some minor tweaks in features and controls, nothing that could threaten a higher up model and of course you pay through the nose for the small improvements. For those who have the 70D how much reason is there to upgrade? They usually claim the 70D AF and sensor are excellent, no need to make any changes ...

Spoken with typical cluelessness. The main target buyer for the 80D is the same as that for the previous xxD models – xxxD owners looking to upgrade. In case it's escaped your attention, there are more xxxD owners out there than all MILCs combined, so it's a pretty large target demographic. Secondarily, it's targeted to owners of older xxD models 40/50/60D).

Upvote 0