Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Looking forward to use this lens again as well (Actually, I had the baffle replaced to use it on my 6D).

But your calculation seems odd. Provided the video crop will be 1,75x, the lens will give you a max eqFOV of 17,5mm (10mm x 1,75).

With regard to the large image circle of the 10-22mm, I’m interested if the stills crop mode will be “forced” with EF-S lenses or if it will be optional...? Also, the remaining MPix in crop mode will be few (~12MPix). :/

Got it - I wanted to say that the effective APS-C focal length is no longer 10 but 11mm because of the slightly smaller sensor area - in terms of APS-C focal length. Calculating the FF equivalent - the thing you made - is a much simpler and better way: shurely it"s FF equivalent is 17.5mm!

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Btw I wouldn‘t expect L lenses to be focus by wire as some are fearing they might be...
At least that‘s my hope. Why should „all“ new lenses for the RF-Mount be like that? :)

Its not impossible to make a *good* focus by wire. After all, cars are now steered by wire and airplanes flown by wire... Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Given that Olympus has no in-lens stabilised lenses, I'm not sure how they arrived at that conclusion...

Olympus has at least two lenses now with lens IS - the 12-100mm and the 300mm PRO. The Olympus IBIS plus IS blows away every other image stabilization that I have used including Sony both for video and stills. Multi-second hand held exposures are possible.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
My worry is what will happen with the M mount. It will obviously not be compatible with RF. My guess is that Canon will keep it as a cheapo system and will release 1 plastic lens per year with M mount. Quite disappointing.

If you want a mad spread of crop-specific higher end glass, it's Fuji or no one.

Everyone else is straddling this crop vs. FF divide, and they all learn one key thing: high end glass for crop doesn't sell well when big brother (FF or FF glass on crop) is an even sexier / future-proofed option.

They days of first party $750+ crop only lenses are highly likely over... unless you go to Fuji.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Considering that all the Cinema bodies have EF mount options ( for the lower models it's the only option), I don't think that mount is going anywhere anytime soon. I'd wader that the 1D X line will stay around for a long time in EF, hence the new big white lenses being released. Plus, Video people love the EF lenses. The Panasonic EVA 1, a version of the SONY NEX, RED Cinema, and many of the Black Magic Cameras all have native EF mount options. Not to mention the amount of people I have seen filming on Sony's and GH5's and such with adapters just so they could use EF mount Canon and Zeiss glass. Canon makes too much money in the cinema world for the EF mount to go away anytime soon.

It is not impossible - actually it would make a lot of sense - that future EOS Cinema will have RF mount to enable the use of this new lens lineup. In addition it would make the adaptation of PL mound quite a bit easier..

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
If you want a mad spread of crop-specific higher end glass, it's Fuji or no one.

Everyone else is straddling this crop vs. FF divide, and they all learn one key thing: high end glass for crop doesn't sell well when big brother (FF) is an even sexier option.

They days of first party $750+ crop only lenses are highly likely over... unless you go to Fuji.

- A

True, the question is whether they will keep M at all. Maybe we'll se an RF-S option sooner or later?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Optically, I think it *IS* possible. Think of corrective lenses for someone that is nearsighted - their focus is ahead of the retina, so lenses are used to "pull" the focus back to where it should be. Sort of like a neutral speedbooster....

Oh, could you pull some optical witchcraft and get it to resolve? Sure.

Could Canon make a lens that could pull a 'student body right' sort of wholesale optical formula shift inside the lens barrel to work on EF? Maybe?

But those reek of painful tradeoffs and shackling of the product's original intentions/goals to pull that EF goal off. Canon would sooner leave that to the Metabones of the world, at which point it's good luck with AF.

- A

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Unusable, insane bitrates with recording limits. Maybe motion jpeg, again

Oh, Canon! We know you can... but you won't, only for a kidney.

No it is not MJPEG. That huge size files are for ALL-I I would bet the video will be of better quality compared to competitors. if you don,t like that size you have a IPB that record 2 hr. 21 min. on a 128gb card

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The lack of IBIS is what surprised me most, especially as the lenses do not seem to have the 'IS' designation. But maybe this body will be the lower priced one, the higher one will have IBIS and the R lenses announced are designed more for that body?

If you didn't get responded to yet, two lenses have IS in the name (35 Macro / 24-105) and two do not (28-70 / 50).

That alone is not confirmation that IBIS isn't coming, but it is conspicuously absent (along with sync speed and Eye AF) from the spec sheet that leaked. Presently all signs imply a 'no to IBIS' is coming in a few days.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I have to stop reading these rumors :) keep going from excited to frustrated to cautiously optimistic to wait and see approach. Its a roller coaster! Its weird to watch some things move forward, and oddly some backwards. I just hope it doesn't end up being another 6d mk II experience

I too feel the same way :)

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
And to lose the built-in ND filter rings?

I guess we'll have to see. There surely is an adapter option :p
Disclaimer: this is one of the reasons why I'm surprised that Canon changed the flange distance. It just puts a lot of uncertainty on things.. For example, will we ever see that 50L f1.4 IS or 135L IS? A week ago, my answer would have been a solid "yes", today I think we will rather see RF versions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll fix it for you - most probably their current sensor tech for stills cameras is not capable to do it at any price point. Unless they have some different chip in their sleeves for a higher end model, don't expect miracles even with more high specced model ....

Thanks for the explanation, started on M6 thinking in the near future would see the 1080p 120fps to go for it, but too many years of waiting and now this when others can do it, depressing...time to look for other options.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Good for you. Bye- bye. I'm sure you will enjoy complainting about Sony color, ergonomics, expensive lenses, poor exposure metering and all their other shortcomings on the Sony forums. But you will have IBIS and eye-AF!

Yeah, we need to come up with a term for folks who actually go from YAPODFC to actually leaving.

Feels like a Sony Rumspringa* to me: kids need to pursue the shiny thing that excites them, figure out what they really need, and then a large number of them will come back to the fold.

- A

*P.S. I do not wish to offend any Amish folks with the above -- I think the metaphor (at a really high level) is quite apt, but if you disagree or took offense to this please send me a DM and I'll pull this down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Looks pretty full to me, but the lack of Eye AF (more a mode than something you spec list or quantify, possibly?) and Flash Sync speed (a rock solid 2nd tier spec you'd expect to see on something this granular) implies that we still have a little more to learn about EOS R.

- A

Resolution for the EVF is also *conspicously* absent in the spec pdf. It just says OLED, whereas for the rear display resoultion is given (of course in million dots, not in pixels, so divide by 3]. I have learned that specs omitted in marketing materials are never going to wow me. ;-)

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Let's break down these current dealbreakers, shall we?
If you're going to criticise something that doesn't even exist yet, you also don't have a full picture of the facts. Some of us are excited for this - I think Canon have nailed a market point to be a lot of people's second camera, and a tool that's not only going to stop a lot of Sony jumpers (not all of them, and that's everyone's individual perogative) and appeal to a lot of newer shooters in their 20s. Bottom line: It's not always all about you.

You are excited so no one else should have any opinion against it? that's what the typical fan boy thinks. "It's not always all about you." Hope that applies to you as well ;)

I agree there are people bashing Canon OTOH there are people who likes Canon' products and wanted to stay with Canon. They wanted a tool from Canon that suits their style of shooting and make them feel satisfied too. When Canon do not live up to that expectation the rant comes out. I am not arguing Canon should give everything people want in a $2k body what I am pointing out is that even if one want to give canon $4k for a body that has the following in one tool that simply do not exist

Full frame
Shoots 4k
IBIS
DPAF on 4k
Fully articulating touch screen
FHD 120 FPS
Focus peaking
Zebras
4k HDMI out

I hope you agree given the competition that is not too much to ask for at $4k mark but that simply does not exist. One might argue no DSLR or MILC camera exists in the market that can do all of these. Yes that's exactly we want from Canon not playing catch up.

Upvote 0