Confirmed: Canon EOS R5c to be announced next month [CR3]

Dec 25, 2017
So go and work with Sony or Panasonic and live with their tradeoffs.
Oh.. I forgot, Sony is the perfect camera with no compromises...
I know your are being sarcastic, but in my opinion the Sony A1 is indeed right now the most capable hybrid camera out there. The specs in all regards are incredible. Though a bit expensive =)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I assume Canon adds 8K60P just to beat Nikon to it. Canon should add a crop 5.1K120P, that would have been an awesome feature.
Ha, jeah thats possible and would be quite astonishing :)
I would be more interested in a good looking 4k240 though. Or even a 1080p480 or something. If its just okay looking. That would be a great feature in my opinion =) I think 8k60 is a bit over the top and not nearly as usefull as a 240 or 480 frames option, at least for my work. In my opinion slowmotions gives you an advantage and new creative possibilities. While higher resolution like 8k are pretty much just a general improvement of quality, which does not offer that many creative new options. A good framed 4k image is pretty much as good as an 8k image where you need to crop. 8k is certainly the future, but I think right now higher framerates and DR are more interested.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Just give me a body geared toward the general advanced enthusiast and/or landscape photographer. It seems everything is directed toward video and sports photography, or maybe the reviewers or camera companies are conditioning people to that they need that. I don't have a problem with that, but has the general photography person been forgotten or perhaps few exist any more. As someone whose primary interest is landscape and general nature photography, and R5 as awesome as it is, is overkill and priced out of my range. The R model would surely not be bad and hopefully Canon can update. I suppose if my 6D crapped out, I could go for that model, but not very inspired to currently change from what I have.
I think (depending on budget) the best landscape options right now are in this order the Canon R5, Sony a7R IV and Fuji GFX 100s. The sensor is incredible, expecialy at this pricepoint. And btw, many EF lenses cover the GFX 100s sensor!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
hm, which camera do you mean for 2500$? There is none as far as I can tell which offers the same image quality the R5 gives you AND 8k AND 4k120 AND a highres-sensor with 20fps for photography.... All of these models are compromising on one end. Only true hybrids which are stronger than the R5 current in BOTH, photo and video are the Sony A1 and the Nikon Z9. Which are both much more expensive.
He’s clearly talking about unlimited recording, weather sealed hybrid cameras. That would be the Sony A7iv & A7c and Panasonics s5

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I doubt that, putting a 3/8th and 1/4 mounts on the top plate that doesn’t interfere with the hotshoe functionality would necessitate a complete body redesign, throw in the active cooling and I can’t see the R5C looking anything like the R5, and certainly not sharing any body parts.
I guess we will know next month, but it seems strange to me to call it an R5c if it has a radically different body style.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Overheats, presumably.

That's a feature. It's hard to use a camera with gloves on, the buttons are so dang tiny. Since the R5 will keep your hands warm enough that gloves are unnecessary, it's easier to use in cold weather.

But then on the other hand, it's hard to work a camera in hot weather with oven mitts on.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That's a feature. It's hard to use a camera with gloves on, the buttons are so dang tiny. Since the R5 will keep your hands warm enough that gloves are unnecessary, it's easier to use in cold weather.

But then on the other hand, it's hard to work a camera in hot weather with oven mitts on.
Careful, humor and levity are apparently unwelcome in this thread.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Careful, humor and levity are apparently unwelcome in this thread.
Neuro, if you were joking above about Log 2 vs 3, I am sorry that I did not get the joke and reacted. But I read the post several times and it just came across and a rude remark - something you are known for, so perhaps I overreacted. In any case, if it was a joke (which I still do not get), I am sorry.

• Sad
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Neuro, if you were joking above about Log 2 vs 3, I am sorry that I did not get the joke and reacted. But I read the post several times and it just came across and a rude remark - something you are known for, so perhaps I overreacted. In any case, if it was a joke (which I still do not get), I am sorry.
Math humor. The base-10 logarithm of 10 is 1, written as Log 10 = 1. Thus, Log 10 is # 1. Was not intending to offend.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
You probably weren't alone. The log 10 comment has a fairly narrow audience in the fields of science, math, and engineering. It also plays off one of the common themes on the forum where larger spec numbers (think megapixels, frames per second, etc.) are always better. So log 10 would naturally be better than log 2 or log 3. I don't think Canon is that far yet ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The R3 is a great camera but unlimited record times is a feature Sony & Panasonic offer in all their weather-sealed hybrid cameras at the $2500+ price point. Hoping Canon competes.
When I first heard of the R5 I thought it was a direct competitor to the A7iii which it should have been but they instead put the R6.
5d owners looking to upgrade to the R5 are now met with a price tag almost double the 5D pricing.

Upvote 0
When I first heard of the R5 I thought it was a direct competitor to the A7iii which it should have been but they instead put the R6.
5d owners looking to upgrade to the R5 are now met with a price tag almost double the 5D pricing.
Where are you looking at pricing? The 5Div was released in 2016 @USD3599 and then added the clog upgrade a year later for $3600.
The R5 is USD3900 so less than 10% price increase for substantially increased features (except for battery life!)

Upvote 0