Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Yeah the R7 has the same weather sealing as the 90D and it costs $1500. So for an extra $300 over the 90D you lose the top screen but gain a super fast focus system, dual card slots, shoot a bit faster but still have a weak buffer, and of course you lose the mirror. What a weirdly awesome camera, May not get all the 7d2 or 90D owners but it's a strong piece for crop mirrorless if you need the large body (like wildlife photographers do)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
Canon has just bumped the sales of Sony and Nikon, these cameras are a pile of crap, I've used canon since 1980, I'm buying a Nikon Z9, and dumping my R5, these cameras are a scam, using a three year old sensor, and the screen and view finder are out of a child's toy. Is it April the first or something, these are a pile of scrap. Well done canon, you're driving your customers to Nikon and Sony.
You realize that the sensors on the A6100/6400/6600 and Z50/Zfc are 5 years old at least, right? And they have the same EVF resolution or worse, and worse screen resolution. Also, they don't shoot as fast, have video recording limits, and worse thermal architecture...
I mean, I'm usually hyper-critical of Canon. I see fault in everything they do. But the release of the R7/10 is, if anything, a massive kick in everyone's collective asses. Sony, Nikon and even Fujifilm. They've been slacking.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
Yep, the EVF is the biggest cripple hammer by far. If anyone has used the R6/R5 side by side the difference in clarity and quality is huge. So, the fact the R7 is worse than the R6 means it will be very crunchy and digital. I would love to hear from RP shooters how they find their EVF.
Not necessarily. I'm far from the most refined EVF connoisseur (if it's 2.36 Mdots or higher, I'm good), but the RP's one weakness, for me, is its slow refresh rate. It looks like Canon are driving the displays on both the R10 and R7 much quicker, probably 120 FPS in performance mode, and that would be more than enough.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2015
The-Digital-Picture has reviews up for the R7 and R10:

I'm excited for this feature on the R7 to make its way to future FF cameras:

"Get this: the R7 has a new feature enabled by the IBIS. For most images, I want my camera perfectly horizontally level — no roll. Cameras have long featured a super-helpful electronic level that was game-changing for those of us with HLDS (Horizon Level Deficiency Syndrome). With the graphic aid shown in the viewfinder or on the rear LCD, the camera could be adjusted until the indicator showed level.

The R7 takes that feature to the next step, providing an Auto-level option that uses the imaging sensor's rotation capability to level the shot automatically. The optical path is circular, so rotating the sensor to a level position (within its degree of capability) results in a normal image that is level even when the camera is not quite so. Auto level is also a great asset to both still and video recording. I love it."

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
You realize that the sensors on the A6100/6400/6600 and Z50/Zfc are 5 years old at least, right? And they have the same EVF resolution or worse, and worse screen resolution. Also, they don't shoot as fast, have video recording limits, and worse thermal architecture...
I mean, I'm usually hyper-critical of Canon. I see fault in everything they do. But the release of the R7/10 is, if anything, a massive kick in everyone's collective asses. Sony, Nikon and even Fujifilm. They've been slacking.

I've done a video stress test with the A6400 and it recorded for 5 hours straight with a power bank + internal battery and the LCD screen closed. It would definitely record longer if a larger power bank was used.

As the Canon cameras are 3 years newer, I would expect them to be faster at the very least.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2015
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Just FYI for anyone else buying in Japan:

197,780 yen R7 body only
246,180 yen for R7 RF-S 18-150mm lens kit

直販価格は、ボディ単体が197,780円、「EOS R7・RF-S18-150 IS STM レンズキット」が246,180円。

128,480 yen R10 body only
143,880 yen for R7 RF-S 18-45mm lens kit
176,880 yen for R7 RF-S 18-150mm lens kit

「EOS R10」ボディ単体が128,480円、「EOS R10・RF-S18-45 IS STM レンズキット」が143,880円、「EOS R10・RF-S18-150 IS STM レンズキット」が176,880円。

Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
The RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM seems to have the exactly same optical construction as the EF-M version. The MTF seems copy paste.

And while the latter is a nice lens for the M-system, this is not the kind of zoom one would pair with a typical 7D/D500 replacement, so that might tell where Canon sees the market for the R7

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I have a Canon EOS R and a R5 C and I'm a video first guy. Should I get a Canon R6 to use the same battery grip and smallrig cage as the R5 C or should I go with the R7? Something tells me the R6 is a better option even for video, but that "recording no limit" and possibly no overheating is interesting. I still think the Canon R6 is a better option to optimise the grip and cage/similar ergonomics.
I would go with the R7 for sure. The rolling shutter in the R6 is a bit slow.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Canon has just bumped the sales of Sony and Nikon, these cameras are a pile of crap, I've used canon since 1980, I'm buying a Nikon Z9, and dumping my R5, these cameras are a scam, using a three year old sensor, and the screen and view finder are out of a child's toy. Is it April the first or something, these are a pile of scrap. Well done canon, you're driving your customers to Nikon and Sony.
My favorite part of Canon releasing new cameras is all the insightful comments from new users on CR...

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Because there are tariffs that determine camera import pricing, and having that 30minute limit puts them in a different. Because its literally a software thing, they could undo it, but that may cause them issues since they will have then mis-classified the item they imported and sold.

Im honestly surprised at this point that every camera company hasnt just accepted that their digital cams are video cameras and just paid the difference to remove the limit. Especially since a camera with these specs has existed for over 5 years in the market (GH5, etc). The fact they are doing it with these lower priced cameras might be the sign they are finally doing so
That tarrif sunset before the R3 came out

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0