Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
As a 40 year Canon user, I’m pretty excited about the R7. Ergonomics always change and we humans are pretty good at adapting to new ways of doing things.

I can live with the compromises Canon made for the price point. It would be a lot harder for me to justify buying a body that did everything everybody has been hoping for but cost $2500–3000.

This is actually a very competitive offering from Canon. Compare it to the Sony a6600 or Fuji X-T4. It’s in the same price range but beats them both on features.
What was touted here on CR as has been for over a decade, is the end to the M-series. This is not it. Neither of these cameras will replace the mirroless compact M6 mk II. At best Canon has replaced a few Rebels. The average consumers will still say "why when there are smaller compact options"

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
This reminds me of the failed MFbar on the EOS R.
It may be even worse, because there may be no other dial left for easy exposure compensation if you feel forced to disable it.
I must say it's the first time I feel so "held back" by a feature.
I'm waiting for the user manual to see if it can be combined with held m-Fn button (or anything else) to lock/unlock it at will.
It could be ok in the field as we don't need to have unwilled exposure changes to interfere, but still, you'd be losing one button for this purpose.
But still, there is another point that is more important to me and it's the prominent shape of the "housing" of this dial : for instance, I love the way you can easily change mode with thumb on R6. This dial shaping out up of the body probably prevents from being able to do so. I bet this shape can be uncomfortable for other reasons when camera is in hand. However, a real test in the field is needed to figure this out.
At first sight at least, it really looks like ergonomists at Canon missed things (or just tried without thinking at least twice)... why didn't they simply keep the ergonomics of the R6? Adding the Iso button is a good thing though but it could have been done with R6 ergonomics as well (and would probably have been enough to have it done the right way).
Also, adding the MF/AF switch looks a bit "outdated" to me. On Nikon DSLRs I sometimes felt like using it with older AF-D lenses that can't override AF, but never with modern lenses. But maybe there could be other usages I miss. It's true that some lenses protections can hinder easy access to AM-MF button on the lens.
At this right point, this announcement and specs make me think we're more in need of a R6/R5 firmware update that adds "any starting boxe shapes" ability on tracking AF, as in the R3 and in these two new models.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
While the R7 may not have a hoped for BSI sensor or super high res EVF, when I saw the low price I immed went on B&H and pre-ordered my copy. Can't wait to try it out for wildlife and sports. My only disappointment is no battery grip available at launch. I do hope that we don't have to wait 11 mos for the grip like we had to wait for the poorly supported tripod mount collar for the RF 100mm macro lens.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
While the R7 may not have a hoped for BSI sensor or super high res EVF, when I saw the low price I immed went on B&H and pre-ordered my copy. Can't wait to try it out for wildlife and sports. My only disappointment is no battery grip available at launch. I do hope that we don't have to wait 11 mos for the grip like we had to wait for the poorly supported tripod mount collar for the RF 100mm macro lens.
According to the review on thedigitalpicture, there is no grip positioning holes for a battery grip.

• Sad
  • Wow
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
I was quite disappointed when I saw the final specs of the R7. Odd ergonomics, low res viewfinder and no BSI-sensor were downers ...
But after reading and watching the first reviews I changed my mind. There will never be the perfect camera. I think Canon did a very good job making a good compromise between 90D and 7D. As a ambitious hobbyist and regarding the surprisingly(!) low price I am more than happy!
I won't agree on all your global impression, but I can confirm that the sensor, if it's the same as in M6 markII, is still one of the best you can find in an APS-C camera, and it's one of the good ideas to have kept it here, whatever can say naysayers about the lack of BSI. However, the R7 market positioning is coherent with the fact they won't probably be making an APS-C camera that would be detrimental to the R5 sales. I'm still not sure we'll see a real 7D line replacement, (i.e. a real high-end APS-C), in the R line-up.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What was touted here on CR as has been for over a decade, is the end to the M-series. This is not it. Neither of these cameras will replace the mirroless compact M6 mk II. At best Canon has replaced a few Rebels. The average consumers will still say "why when there are smaller compact options"
Absolutely. IF current Rebel/xxxD users move to an R10 (a big if), DSLRs will be phased out. This may be the beginning of that process, but the price of the R10 guarantees it won’t close down DSLRs or the M series.

Those who claim the M line is dead are ignoring reality. Sadly, that’s a common failing these days.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The rules created by some users here, stated that EF-m is not allowed to have fast zoom lens because the form factor have to remain small.
And now we have slow apsc zoom on RF, with bigger cameras than the M system.
:cautious:
You can put any fast RF zoom on the R7 and R10 just as you could any fast EF zoom on an M with an adapter.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
But the R10? IMO too expensive to replace the rebels, but also not a sports or wildlife camera (buffer, weather sealing, battery etc.). There is the RP for the same price which IMO makes more sense, even if its missing some of the new features like 4k video, better AF etc. Nikon Z5 is also not far of price wise. So who is this camera for? What are the competitors? Where does this leave EF-M? It is not so clear for me right now.
It's a compact jack of all trades that can be used with tiny lenses (unlike the RP) but is still compatible with the whole growing RF system. I find that actually not a bad value proposition at all. And the vastly improved AF and burst speed compared to the RP, never mind a honestly better sensor, make it in many respects the more competent camera of the two. If you want a DSLR analogy, I'd say it's closest to a 77D successor.

Upvote 0
No in-body stabilization for the R10, a camera very likely to be used with the small unstabilized primes.
I'll never understand Canon's stinginess with features. In-body stabilization should be a standard feature of every interchangeable lens camera now, especially when IS is not offered in the small primes.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
No in-body stabilization for the R10, a camera very likely to be used with the small unstabilized primes.
I'll never understand Canon's stinginess with features.
You really think it would be a $1000 camera if it had IBIS? Maybe the next iteration will… Besides, it's certainly not "very likely" that most people who buy one will use it with primes.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0