Canon EOS RP Specifications [CR1]

Sep 4, 2018
Long Beach, CA
If (and that's a big if) the specs and price and real then I might have to hop back on the Canon train. Aggressive full frame pricing with the upcoming lenses are going to be awfully tempting.

Reactions: Etienne

ozturert

EOS T7i
Jan 16, 2019
It the specs are like this and DR of this 24MP FF sensor is at least as good as EOS M50's sensor, this will be my next Canon camera.

Reactions: JohanCruyff

nchoh

EOS RP
Apr 3, 2018
Calgary
If true, this camera would be an awesome buy.

The sensor on the R is already excellent. All one needs do is buy good glass and the RF glass are getting excellent reviews.

With the control ring and an extra dial, the ergonomics/control would be excellent. With Canon's excellent menu system coupled with class leading touch screen, this would be a wonderful camera to use. If they have the same level of customization as the R, that would be crazy.

5 FPS with servo AF and video AF rounds off the basic needs. And a headphone jack? Wow.

With the specs listed at USD $1300, the RP would be a steal for any Canon user. Canon would still need a cheap lens (50mm?) to have a low priced camera kit to lure in non-Canon users into the fold.

Bentley Boy

I'm New Here
Oct 28, 2017
I hope that it won't be the case. Side-articulated LCD is great for video, but completely useless on tripod with L-bracket.
Absolutely correct. I just received my Small Rig L-bracket for the R and it certainly restricts movement. By the way, I got it at the pre-order price of $59 and it’s a steal at that price! Up to $79 now, so still a great deal.

Bilal

80D
Sep 10, 2018
Since it already has canon log and articulated screen and rumored price is $1300. All i want is 120fps at 1080 and this is my dream camera. Dont need full frame 4K. Dont need dual card and ibis. It already has everything that fullfills my requirments. People should be realistic with what they need to do the job rather then what want. Stop complaining and switch to sony if this camera is holding you back from your potential.

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D SR
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
Sure, but using it on a tripod with L bracket is only a small part of use, and folded flat with it's screen facing out really isn't any different than right now without a flip out screen. If this becomes a standard thing with flip outs on all future canon cameras, some manufacturers of L plates will come up with different solutions, and on a deeper body it's easier to make an L plate that is just shifted forward a bit on the side to allow the flip screen to be angled straight up at 90 degrees (to keep is "level" with the new orientation while on it's side). We might even see a screen on a 1dx that is just as tall as it is wide to account for this. It really depends if Canon wants to more or less keep the same dimensions .
I've never used an L bracket anyway. On tripod, for me, an articulated screen makes the camera/tripod combo easier to use. And you're right, for many of us a tripod is seldom used. Canon appealing to the broader market. Smart.

transpo1

EOS 7D MK II
Jan 12, 2011
If the price is true, then they are essentially using the strategy of the EOS-M- blanket the market with cheap camera bodies so people buy into the camera system. This is how they plan to catch up.

On another note, hey, 1.56x crop in 4k- at least the crop is getting better! ;)

jolyonralph

Kodak Brownie
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
400g sounds impressive, but add on to that the weight of the battery (do we know what type is being used yet? LP-E17 is 45.5g, and LP-E6N is 79.4g

And then add on the weight of the lens. Currently the only kit lens is the 24-105 RF at 695g, giving a total package of no less than 1140g. The A7III with kit lens and battery weighs 945g.

The only way to do better than that is for a new lighter kit lens - which I am pretty sure we'll see. Maybe something like a 28-80 3.5-5.6 , or maybe a 24-70 f/4 who knows...

BrightTiger

EOS M50
Aug 21, 2015
I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.
My wife is on an epic rant after I showed this article to her. I think she just moved to Sony... and that says a lot.

preppyak

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 18, 2011
400g sounds impressive, but add on to that the weight of the battery (do we know what type is being used yet? LP-E17 is 45.5g, and LP-E6N is 79.4g

And then add on the weight of the lens. Currently the only kit lens is the 24-105 RF at 695g, giving a total package of no less than 1140g. The A7III with kit lens and battery weighs 945g.

The only way to do better than that is for a new lighter kit lens - which I am pretty sure we'll see. Maybe something like a 28-80 3.5-5.6 , or maybe a 24-70 f/4 who knows...
I would be openly stunned if they dont use the LP-E6N. Its THE battery on every even loosely pro model they have, and if the intention (as it seems) with this camera is to take everyone disappointed in the 6D Mark II and everyone lingering on the Sony fence from a 70D/80D upgrade, then swapping the battery on them isnt gonna go well. Especially if we'd end up with Sony first gen battery life as a result, which becomes unusable in the field.

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Wow! Even if it's 1300 euros, for a starting price, not bad!! Just wait until Black Friday and you can probably grab one for 1100 and if the rumored pro R camera comes out around then, everything else will drop a bit.
I already know this one has a single SD card slot, but I'm not complaining! This camera will change a lot of things if it comes out to be true.

Freddell

EOS M50
Oct 2, 2014
New sensor probably means 6D mkII sensor with new microlenses, I absolutely would not expect a BRAND new sensor.

mb66energy

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 18, 2011
Germany
www.MichaelBockhorst.de
Maybe it is a "link camera" between longer existing EF glass and RF glass. In my case I have some Canon lenses which are perfect on the classic 5D and very good on APS-C sensors with 24 MPix - all these lenses are more than good enough for a 24 MPix sensor just the old EF 24 2.8 non-USM, non-IS. But the 24-240 is an interesting lens with very high flexibility for stills and video. So maybe this will be my next lens.
The crop is perfect for APS-C lenses - the 10-22 lens will be a 16-35 mm lens again. I think it is the M50 equivalent in EOS R land and price wise it is the same relation like EOS R and EOS M5 so the equation should be valid (entry prices):

price(M5) : price(M50) = price(EOS R) : price(EOS RP) ~ 2

M50 is a fun camera because it makes fun because it is a good tool to make good photos (as good as the photographer) in most situations.
EOS RP will be the same fun (if the spec list is 90% correct). I will enjoy better low and high ISO quality due to the FF sensor and - often said here - enjoy to explore the possibilities of my FD glass and if it doesn't qualify it will be sold.

I expect a smaller battery with ~ 250 pics per charge. If this camera will run on battery (peak current) & power bank (live view current + recharging) it will be a great video camera too.

Reactions: Roy Hunte