Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Fascinating that Canon have introduced just two small(ish) lenses with this really quite small FF camera, and two whoppers. Hardly fits the "mirrorless is meant to be small" philosophy. Must be some subliminal message there from Canon on how they intent to take the "R" series forward.

I believe it's got an AA filter ? If so congratulations on getting that bit right.
I believe that the big lenses (other than the super teles), tell us that this is going to be the future pro ff mount. The mirror slappers will still be around for awhile until Canon can get the AF tracking frame rate in mirrorless up to 1DX levels. That may take several years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
A few things about Canon you should understand. First off they won't ever release a feature that has not been put through the ringer a million times over and even after developing and more testing into the 99% perfect function of the feature they still would not release it to the public until that one feature works without pause or problem to anything else 100%. There are limits in todays tech that won't be around in tomorrows tech, there are limits one simply can not get around nomatter how much they try. When it comes to overheating, there may not be all that much humanly possible today in a small body they can do without the guarantee the feature won't harm other parts of the body. For example if they could engineer the sensor to not over heat but the amount of heat still causes a shorter life span on a single weather seal in the body then Canon will not do it! You would not believe the amount of people completely outside Canon Corp that are paid to test every single little thing in a body, then test that one thing to how it long term affects every other part or feature in the body, years and years go into their pro level stuff. This is why they are the top patent filer, it's because all the work that goes into every little detail to work 100%.

Second thing you should know is most of Canon's bodies don't make much profit for them. The 7d2, 5d4, 5ds/r, and 1d bodies are not profitable machines, sometimes they may just break even also. The reason is these are not here to make them rich at all. If you seen the cost of producing, testing, aligning and more testing each mirror mechanism in a 1dx alone you would say it's silly to even sell the camera to the public at any cost. Canons bread and butter are printers, then entry level SLR stuff. These are the products that pay the bills and pay for all the advancements and R&D into the five bodies i mentioned above. Canon has 6 entry level or mid level bodies on the market just to make their higher lines that much better in terms of working all the time. So when a body of a higher model line comes out without a feature you think should be in it, it is not them protecting their profit at all, it is them protecting you from a possible headache of it not working they way it should when you are in the field and your paycheck depends on it. This is what separates Canon from the other makers, Though Nikon does a decent amount of testing but Sony barely does anything much in comparison to Canon. This is why Nikon has the release dates not being met or problems with the first/second or more production lines, this is why Sony just jams in the latest features without any care of it working perfect, jam the features in the body and sell baby sell. To Canon HQ people in Japan it is there name, their honor, their life meaning that the Camera works as intended and they will never chance that being harmed. Luckily for them the millions of people buying silly entry level slr's today will be the future buyers of the higher line bodies tomorrow because by them those people will know Canon always works the way it should.

I highly respect and admire all that effort, really, yet, i need some features to facilitate my work. I gladly buy later a Canon body once they implement what i need, in case i afford and or find economically viable. In case what i already use actually works just fine wouldn't be a good deal, unless would be a significant upgrade. At the point i have the budget ready i will buy the camera that checks all the features i need. If i still have Canon glass at that point compatibility will be probably one of the features i need. I rather buy a good adapter to use my canon glass on a Sony body with IBIS, also being albe to use my vintage glass with IBIS than using my Canon glass on a Canon body without IBIS, not being able to easily use my vintage lenses. Considering a significant part of my work is done in low light 'as it is' without any extra light source, IBiS is very important for me. I just need to move on with my personal agenda, I can't wait endlessly for a certain company to implement a technology that other 3 or 5 companies already implemented with a high level of success. Today when flexibility is on the table with the option to successfully adapt lenses, i will just use what delivers the quality and features that are useful for my work. This is how real life looks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'll wait for the official shoe to drop but here are some pasted quotes from the PDF or article

• With Ser vo AF: Max. approx. 5.0 fps (shooting speed priority) [Silent LV shooting: Mode 1]
    • With Servo AF, the maximum continuous shooting speed may become slower depend- ing on subject conditions or the lens used. Also, the maximum continuous shooting
  • Max. approx. 3 .0 fps
  • With Dual Pixel R AW: Max. approx. 2 . 2 fps
    • High- speed continuous shooting not possible.

3fps with focus priority :ROFLMAO:

EV -6 to 18 (f/1.2, at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100, One-Shot AF)
so...huge disclaimer there that it is with the extremely limited number of lenses that can achieve f/1.2. so meh.

but at least the number of points sounds impressive! Sounds like a preemptive A7SIII move :LOL:

Video: 4K 30p, FullHD 60p, HD 120p
meh. until more details. 4:2:2 internal log? line skipping/binning? cropping?. At least it finally supports H.264...the hottest thing from 5 years ago :ROFLMAO:
The Z6/7 already has it beat here, not only offering 120p FULL HD but also full width 6K readout w/o line skip (Z6 only), and pretty sure the upcoming A7-S III will come out swinging here in just a couple of months here and crush everybody's video implementation to dust anyway. It is just a question of how badly, not if :cool:
Bitrates and All-I option looks actually decent, but without full width downscaled no line skipped readout....meh. Let alone if internal is only 8bit 4:2:0

I'll wait for the confirmation (I suppose leaked photos or videos) of the lack of a second card and if it is only SD media :sneaky:. The lack of IBIS in the spec sheet :eek: doesn't mean it doesn't have it so I won't believe anything either way until it is officially announced and "reviewed" by the early previewers.

So there you have it. The big "splash" starting with native EF compatibility down to unmatched video, down to "pro body with pro features with pro feel..." so far SEEMS like indeed a splash...from a belly flop :ROFLMAO: Expectations were to high.

And yes I realize this is just a "rumor" and that the mythical "body in 6-8 months" will fix everything. But that's what everybody says. Tomorrow will bring new stuff without question, including new Sony and Nikon and everybody else's gear. Let tomorrow compete with tomorrow's competitors when that happens.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
That's Canon strategy all the time, add new features and remove others, flip screen is not a novelty, has been there for years, but sometimes they remove it on purpose.

I don't think they've ever removed a flip screen from any model series. So far they haven't included it in their high-end bodies for an understandable reason: extra moving parts make the camera less rugged. If not in actuality, at least in the perception of many in the target audience.

Upvote 0
Ok, after 2 years of debate within my mind and waiting for the right Canon video features for ME, this is my conclusion:
Canon is just reliable , it just works, it is great for stills, but already have a old 40D, and an M6, 40D focus much faster in low light and has better grip than M6. If R is at 2k, i can sell my M system to acquire this one in the future.
For video, I use M6 of course but not 1080p @120fps , neither Canon's R, although the rest of video specs look great, the lack of options for slow motion is what keeps me away from canon, today just purchased a Panasonic GH which unfortunately means spending on more lenses but sadly from another brand, it is what it is but has the video features Canon wants to protect and will keep protecting for the next 10 years, 1080p @120fps is not going to happen soon, so let's see how well it goes.

Upvote 0
If you’re interested in this, might as well look at other mirror less offerings Since you’ll be starting off with a new lens mount. The specs simply are boring, crippled even, compared to all other mirrorless offerings from all other manufacturers. No ibis. Everyone offers faster shooting speeds and deeper buffers. I think even Olympus offers better video capabilities.

There’s really nothing standout here at all. I don’t understand why people will buy this, though I guess it’s canon fanboys who will think it’s something smashing. But you have to have blinders on to think that.

Yeah, you can use older canon lenses, but they’ll be crippled and way less useful than native lenses. That’s not a good reason to get this.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
No IBIS is sad, but if those lens selections are true, I won't care.

It is entirely possible that I buy one of these simply because I "must have" the 28-70/2. Then again, one of the reasons I switched from Nikon to Canon a decade-plus ago was that that the Canon lens that were so attractive, at that time, the EFS17-55/2.8 being one of them. Man, that seems like so long ago, now, lol.

I keep hearing IBIS, but at least as someone who does no video, this is not a factor to me. When I used the A7R3 extensively, having IBIS did not increase my keeper rate for birding or candids in any measurable way. The lenses without In-lens IS (like the Sony 85mm/1.8) still required higher shutter speeds; the lenses with in-lens IS (like the Sony 24-105/4) offered more latitude. Would I appreciate it as a feature? Sure, why not. But it wouldn't change a buying decision for either the body or the lenses. I'll take the body with or without IBIS, and I will always prefer the lens with ILIS if it exists (and be willing to pay more and carry more weight for it).

To me it still seems like the 28-70 is bait.
“Buy this camera if you want this sweet lens.”

I’ll pass.

Indeed it does. I might end up taking the bait, though, lol. It all depends on how much I like the feel of the camera, how well the autofocus works, and how EF lens feel on it (adapter, ergonomics, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
If you’re interested in this, might as well look at other mirror less offerings Since you’ll be starting off with a new lens mount. The specs simply are boring, crippled even, compared to all other mirrorless offerings from all other manufacturers. No ibis. Everyone offers faster shooting speeds and deeper buffers. I think even Olympus offers better video capabilities.

There’s really nothing standout here at all. I don’t understand why people will buy this, though I guess it’s canon fanboys who will think it’s something smashing. But you have to have blinders on to think that.

Yeah, you can use older canon lenses, but they’ll be crippled and way less useful than native lenses. That’s not a good reason to get this.

1. In what way will EF lenses be crippled?

2. It's likely to be a standout camera because it has dual pixel autofocus, which is worlds better than any other mirrorless autofocus system. Is there another mirrorless offering that has autofocus competitive with DPAF?

3. Do you buy a camera to take great photographs, or to have a great spec sheet?

4. I suspect most folks who buy this will probably do so if they think it feels good, is a good tool for their type of photography, and improves their work or hobby life in some meaningful way. Of course there are people who will buy it just because it's the latest major Canon release. There are also people who will buy the next major Nikon, Sony, Olympus or Panasonic for the same reason. I have nothing against any of them; they help keep camera manufacturers in business!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Super thoughtful post. Appreciate your take on this.

- A

Thanks. We've been through a bit of a roller coaster on this announcement. The first blush assumptions caused by very little data were probably too optimistic (IBIS, native mount, etc.) I think this is what really caused the change in reactions over the days - not a different composition in the audience, as has been suggested. Then a small version of a shark frenzy happened on some of the negative stuff (usually it's quite a bit more noise and then derails the real conversation).

My prediction:
When everything sugars off, we'll be left with a slightly underpowered FF mirrorless offering to drive some incredible lenses it may or may not deserve. Everyone will expect another shoe to drop with a $3500 version. Rumors will come out that this is going to happen by Christmas, and then spring, and then "in 2019." Once we all give up, Canon will release it, and we'll all be happy. Unicorns and rainbows for everyone in 2019. Oh, wait. Sony will have release the A9II, and we'll be back into "lather and repeat." This isn't a complaint. I think it's great fun.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Once we all give up, Canon will release it, and we'll all be happy. Unicorns and rainbows for everyone in 2019. Oh, wait. Sony will have release the A9II, and we'll be back into "lather and repeat." This isn't a complaint. I think it's great fun.

Too true :)

I predict that when the dust settles, there will be 3 tiers of mirrorless FF from Canon, not unlike 6D, 5D and 1D. Those tiers of product and the price points actually do make sense, at least to me. I think it's pretty safe to say that no matter what Canon does, there will be a highly critical and vocal crowd.

Upvote 0
To me it still seems like the 28-70 is bait.
“Buy this camera if you want this sweet lens.”

I’ll pass.

It is bait, but by the time EOS Pro line come out, it would have that lens to entice users to switch over. I wouldn't be surprised if they got another sweet lens when their professional 5D IV/V equivalent camera to come out. I'm skipping this generation, but I'll keep an eye on the next one.

This lens and rumored 70-130 F2. That's hard to resist.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
It is bait, but by the time EOS Pro line come out, it would have that lens to entice users to switch over. I wouldn't be surprised if they got another sweet lens when their professional 5D IV/V equivalent camera to come out. I'm skipping this generation, but I'll keep an eye on the next one.

This lens and rumored 70-130 F2. That's hard to resist.
I’m in no hurry. I don’t want mirrorless for the sake of mirrorless. I buy things when they pique my interest, or offer me some new functionality I want to use.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herion

Seven stars, seven stones and one white tree
Jul 30, 2018
I still debate myself, if the high-end MILC is going to use EF directly. At first sight, it might sound logical, but in my book, it would kill EF-R. Imagine having two MILC bodies, buying an expensive EF-R lens, which you can't use on a higher end body? Both being FF? If Canon wants EF-R to succeed, even a high-end model has to have it. Well, imo.

Although in a case like this, then all you'd need is a reverse EF/RF adapter...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Why is every mirrorless camera expected to be tiny with small but super fast lenses (unobtainable )and has to be a professional video camera???

Super fast M4/3 lenses are not by any means unobtainable.

Don't know why they expect tiny bodies, but there are super fast m4/3 lenses.
Olympus: 17,25,45 f/1.2
Olympus 17,25,45 f/1.8
Olympus 12 f/2
Olympus 14-35 f/2 zoom
Olympus makes many f/2.8 lenses
*Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 Nokton*
*Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 Nokton*
*Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton*
*Voigtlander 425mm f/0.95 Nokton*
*Handevision IBELUX 40mm f/0.85*

Crop factor is 2.

There are pros earning their living with these cameras.

I'm sure there are others out there. I am only familiar with these. They are all small and light. The lenses I have tried are very good by my standards. I don't look at charts or explore corners so I don't know about any of that. However, I hate the body (Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II). Absolutely hate the way it feels in hand. It is difficult for me to manipulate. Way too small for me. My wife is a tiny 4'11" and she loves it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0