Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

D

Deleted member 378875

No Canon body has IBIS. Canon is not in the business of making money for Sigma. Canon has never prevented Sigma from making lenses that mount and function on Canon bodies. Sigma lives with it.

EVERY Sony alpha body has IBIS. Sony is not in the business of making money for Sigma. Sony has never prevented Sigma from making lenses that mount and function on Sony bodies. Sigma lives with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

Spent a good part of weekend observing commentary and analysis of this forum. It is fantastic. No better forum for bouncing observations, and on the whole it has been kept very fact focused.

Different people have different needs, of course. For some, lack of focus peaking (if even true) is a deal breaker. For others, it is a card slot. I respect that. That said, I draw a line when judging this release between factors that are legitimately disappointing and factors that just would have been nice. That line is this: whether or not the feature is actually a step back from current DSLR feature set versus something we’d like that Canon has never previously provided.

FACTORS THAT LEGITIMATELY STINK
- this is a 3 FPS camera for people using AF in tracking mode (single reason I will wait). Canon hasn’t released a camera that slow since 2008 (rebel xs), so this is rather remarkable. For people coming from an early M series camera, it might not be as huge a difference, but for most DSLR switchers, it’ll be tough to swallow. The big legit complaint at the 5d4 launch was the nerfed FPS at 7. To go to 3 from that would require still subjects for the most part. Due to unclear terminology in spec list, sure if this applies to all servo mode or just face tracking; but in either case it isn’t the camera for a would-be 5d4 switcher imo. My “pew, pew, pew” SL1 is 33 percent faster, and maddenly slow.

FACTORS THAT WOULDA BEEN NICE
- 2nd card slot. Even for paid work, I don’t use the SD card in 5d4 because it slows FPS. Never had card failure that wasn’t because I sent it through washer and dryer by mistake. I swap cards out as I go along, reducing liability of loss (which never happens anyway). Much more concerned camera will get stolen (2x cards no help there). Shocked by shrill reaction to Nikon release’s lack of second card, and think it’s significant over-reaction. Reaction to Canon’s lack of 2nd card not quite as shrill, perhaps because opinions more considered now.

- IBIS... I just can’t get worked up about a lack of a feature that a company has never before demonstrated the capability of delivering. Would be very nice, of course, but certainly not a surprise.

- not EF mount... anyone who has used M mount before in the Canon world, knows that the adapter to EF is a non-issue. It just works. It’s not a deal. It is not at all like adapters that you see for Sony.

FACTORS THAT ARE LEGIT INNOVATIONS OR OTHER POSITIVES
- Despite me having a real dealbreaker preventing me from buying the new camera, I am still sorely tempted simply because of the glass that is being released. The 50 mm lens in the F/2 zoom are really compelling.

- Form factor looks pretty optimal, but will need to handle to know. This will be very personal and will vary by person. My sense: current pro models are unnecessarily large and heavy. Mirrorless are impractically small. This might be the Goldilocks form factor.

- Screen as trackpad for AF is a huge improvement over any current pro model. Anyone who has used the M5 with this feature knows. Joystick half as useful.

- Filters in adapters is brilliant.

- This appears to be the 5D4 sensor, which is great for the (speculated) price. Some have mentioned that this sensor would require a much higher price because of the price of the five series camera, but this is not so. That camera was released years ago, so offering that sensor at a much lower price is completely reasonable. People also point to the new six series camera, with a decidedly not very improved sensor, as showing that the price point of a five series sensor would be much higher. I think we can consider the recent six series release as an anomalously unimproved release and not use it to benchmark the market’s price to feature expectations. Of course, Canon is going to crow about this being a “completely redesigned sensor.” They have never not done this. 3/4 of people appear to believe that it will actually be a completely new sensor. There may indeed be some sort of adaptation that was required to do with the older sensor, but by and large when we see very similar sensors between cameras, they are pretty much the same sensor. I marvel at our gullibility sometimes.

UPSHOT:
- I am not going to buy this camera. When we first started discussing it I was already taking pictures of one of my 5D4 cameras so that I could list it on eBay. I am no longer going to sell that camera. I will have Canon CPS send me one of the R models when it becomes available for borrowing (already officially requested). But it will also likely buy one of the Sony A7R3s used, just to compare the two and later resell the Sony. This will be for experimentation. Because Canon created such a low frames per second body, I will look at the Sony system, but had Canon *fixed* the FPS issue, which really did require fixing from the already sluggish 5d4, I wouldn’t have bothered even looking. I do not plan to switch, but with a new mount in the offing, I need to do due diligence.

I look forward to the pro model coming out. Hopefully the super slow FPS is not a long-term limitation. When this is actually officially announced, we may see Canon making a development announcement about a different camera, for which we do not have the specs. So our speculation at this stage might be a little premature in terms of assuming we know a lot about their positioning in the market.

The thing that might be most exciting to me about the upcoming announcements is the release of the new 600 mm. Lots of good stuff, across vendors, coming out. It is exciting.

For the record, I take issue with your assertion that adapters aren't an issue

Travel photography and juggling a large bag containing a 5D and M5 and mixture of EF and EF-M lenses is hard work in my experience.

With a homogenous setup you just take one lens off, take the cap off the upcoming lens, put it onto the offgoing lens, and fit the upcoming lens. Easy.

But with the adapter you have caps all over the place - whenever moving from EF-M to EF or vice versa, you have to bring in extra caps or retire some. It sounds simple but trying to move an adapter from one lens to the next as well as moving caps in and out is stressful, frustrating and time consuming and the extra time runs the risk of introducing more dust into the equation.

Something I personally never want to do again.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
EVERY Sony alpha body has IBIS. Sony is not in the business of making money for Sigma. Sony has never prevented Sigma from making lenses that mount and function on Sony bodies. Sigma lives with it.
Here's how that would work in the real world.....

Canon decides to deliberately make third party lenses not work with their bodies....
Every store clerk says "Don't buy Canon, they don't work with anyone elses lenses"....
Canon sales plummet......

No way would they do that.....

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

Let me know how a more mature system makes your hands feel at the end of a day of shooting with big f/2.8 zooms and f/1.4 primes. ;)

- A

Yes, absolutely, agreed.

What I was hoping for was a nice comfortable 5D4 with an EVF, Eye Focus and IBIS.

To which I would hang off my heavy unstabilized 24-70 , heavy 70-200 f/2.8 and my unstabilized Sigma Art primes.

Instead, a somewhat uglier, smaller camera with no IBIS nor eye focus.

Meanwhile, whilst Sony have the IBIS and Eye Focus toys they don't have the body I'm looking for ... alpha is way too small for my heavy lenses.

Roll on 2019 ...

Deep down, my real concern is that perhaps Canon simply don't have the technical maturity to match Sony when it comes to the technology ... not yet at least ...

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

Here's how that would work in the real world.....

Canon decides to deliberately make third party lenses not work with their bodies....
Every store clerk says "Don't buy Canon, they don't work with anyone elses lenses"....
Canon sales plummet......

No way would they do that.....

My point was to question whether there is a financial incentive for Canon to withhold IBIS in order to encourage the sales of their IS lenses over those 3rd parties such a Sigma who don't have IS on many of their Art lenses.

Perhaps Canon are doing this merely due to technical immaturity, or perhaps for commercial reasons. Who knows ?

Canon seem to be doing just fine financially - despite 3rd party lenses having far worse Auto Focus hit rates ...

Customers are buying their cameras and lenses in droves ... but might well make less money if they supplied IBIS so that those same customers could get stabilized pictures whilst avoiding Canon's eye-watering IS lens prices !

Not a question of compatibility ... more facility.

Upvote 0
Here’s a handful of unsoliceted thoughts. Feel free to skip right past all this if you’re not interested in some specific personal opinion:

I find the complaints on this camera fascinating. It takes a rather inefficient mindset to incessantly complain about a product that isn’t designed how you want it to be. I’m curious what these people are realistically hoping for. Out of all the equipment that’s out there, I’m sure something exists that’s within your budget that will allow you do produce images/video that not only looks good, but you can show off in whatever platform you deal with, regardless if you’re making money off of it.

Now, if your business is in its infancy and you’re not even making enough to sustain yourself consistently without being supported by other means, then you obviously need to focus on using equipment within your budget. It’s futile to demand brand new professional level gear with specs usually found in higher end equipment be reduced in price to suit your small budget. If you can’t produce a reasonably good product that’s sellable within that budget, then it’s time to find new work.

I suppose I was taught to first focus on what I actually need, and then figure out what equipment would allow me to attain the result based on those needs. As an example, and in my particular case it looks something like this:

I’m a destination wedding photographer with extremely steady hands. I’m in good shape and the weight of equipment doesn’t bother me, even hauling long distances over a long period of time. My Holdfast straps are extremely reliable for that. I don’t shoot thousands of photos per job, as I’m pretty sharp about taking a photo when I see something that catches my eye, as opposed to taking dozens in a row in hopes I got something usable. I rarely use a swift burst mode. I usually end up with a couple to few hundred at the very most after a 10-12hr gig. I shoot mostly available light, with using lighting gear when absolutely necessary. My gear needs to be reliable, weather resistant, my bodies have good dynamic range, and my focus needs to be relatively swift and accurate, etc.

Now, when considering these things, does this new camera check all those boxes? I’m not sure, as there are no reviews or image samples. The spec sheet alone tells me mostly yes, but I’m wise enough to save any decision until I get all the facts. As it sits now, I can at least take an educated guess and say this would probably compliment my current gear setup, or perhaps allow me to retire some aging equipment to replace. If it doesn’t, I’ll patiently wait for something that will be suitable, or if I need it sooner than later, I’ll just pick up a piece of gear that’s out there I know will be suitable.

Cheers!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

It is entirely possible that I buy one of these simply because I "must have" the 28-70/2. Then again, one of the reasons I switched from Nikon to Canon a decade-plus ago was that that the Canon lens that were so attractive, at that time, the EFS17-55/2.8 being one of them. Man, that seems like so long ago, now, lol.

I keep hearing IBIS, but at least as someone who does no video, this is not a factor to me. When I used the A7R3 extensively, having IBIS did not increase my keeper rate for birding or candids in any measurable way. The lenses without In-lens IS (like the Sony 85mm/1.8) still required higher shutter speeds; the lenses with in-lens IS (like the Sony 24-105/4) offered more latitude. Would I appreciate it as a feature? Sure, why not. But it wouldn't change a buying decision for either the body or the lenses. I'll take the body with or without IBIS, and I will always prefer the lens with ILIS if it exists (and be willing to pay more and carry more weight for it).

Indeed it does. I might end up taking the bait, though, lol. It all depends on how much I like the feel of the camera, how well the autofocus works, and how EF lens feel on it (adapter, ergonomics, etc.).

I'd like IBIS to reduce noise when taking indoor portraits without flash ... it would make a major difference to the image quality of pictures taken with (say) my Sigma 85 1.4.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
My point was to question whether there is a financial incentive for Canon to withhold IBIS in order to encourage the sales of their IS lenses over those 3rd parties such a Sigma who don't have IS on many of their Art lenses.

Perhaps Canon are doing this merely due to technical immaturity, or perhaps for commercial reasons. Who knows ?

Canon seem to be doing just fine financially - despite 3rd party lenses having far worse Auto Focus hit rates ...

Customers are buying their cameras and lenses in droves ... but might well make less money if they supplied IBIS so that those same customers could get stabilized pictures whilst avoiding Canon's eye-watering IS lens prices !

Not a question of compatibility ... more facility.
Personally, I think that they are holding onto IBIS for higher end mirrorless models... They are going to need a few "killer functions" to differentiate from the R..... possibly IBIS, 120FPS video (or higher!), and some very fast burst modes..... (just my guess)

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I’m curious what these people are realistically hoping for.

Camera with the ergo of a 5D, body size of an iPhone, sensor of a PhaseOne IQ4, processor of national security data mining operation, narrow lens mount which natively takes EF lenses, video capabilities of a Red Helium, and built-in gigLTE for near-real-time AI-based autofocus.

Oh and a flip out screen.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
Camera with the ergo of a 5D, body size of an iPhone, sensor of a PhaseOne IQ4, processor of national security data mining operation, narrow lens mount which natively takes EF lenses, video capabilities of a Red Helium, and built-in gigLTE for near-real-time AI-based autofocus.

Oh and a flip out screen.

You left out the price: $500

Upvote 0
Yes, absolutely, agreed.

What I was hoping for was a nice comfortable 5D4 with an EVF, Eye Focus and IBIS.

To which I would hang off my heavy unstabilized 24-70 , heavy 70-200 f/2.8 and my unstabilized Sigma Art primes.

Instead, a somewhat uglier, smaller camera with no IBIS nor eye focus.

Meanwhile, whilst Sony have the IBIS and Eye Focus toys they don't have the body I'm looking for ... alpha is way too small for my heavy lenses.

Roll on 2019 ...

Deep down, my real concern is that perhaps Canon simply don't have the technical maturity to match Sony when it comes to the technology ... not yet at least ...

IBIS and 'eye focus' are all that matter nowadays of course :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I think the most important thing about this announcement is that it is a strategic move by Canon to forestall switchers and signal a serious commitment to mirrorless bodies.
The "announced" R lenses indicate serious investment and the alleged 28-70 f2 puts a marker down to signal to all the fast glass enthusiasts that they are being very serious about the mount.
As for the low spec body. We have no real idea what final form it may take but a low end ML body would not be an error as it represents something that could be bargain priced to entice newbies and would be switchers. Enthusiasts longing for the higher end bodies may need to long a little while more but would be possibly kept from switching. In addition it allows the teething of a new product to be worked out on a more forgiving audience than the loud mouths on various fora and SM.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0