Some Canon EOS 6D Mark II Talk [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>A bit more information has floated in about the upcoming Canon EOS 6D Mark II, a camera we expect to be announced after NAB in April and before the summer months.</p>
<p>These are few things we’ve been told about the camera.</p>
<ul>
<li>All new sensor
<ul>
<li>We’re told it’s likely going to be 28mp, though the source doesn’t know if that’s total or effective megapixels.</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Dual SD slots</li>
<li>Tilting LCD</li>
<li>Touchscreen</li>
<li>DIGIC 7</li>
<li>Aiming for a sub $2000 USD body only price</li>
<li>DPAF</li>
<li>There has apparently been a lot of internal discussion about the video features and it’s likely we’ll see the camera shoot 4K in some capacity.</li>
<li>Wifi, NFC & Wireless charging</li>
<li>Larger viewfinder</li>
</ul>
<p>We expect to start hearing a lot more about the EOS 6D Mark II in the coming months.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
Sounds like a good set of specs for...

I agree with the "good set of specs" part, but it strikes me as being a step above entry level. I wonder if we will eventually see a version with specs similar to the original 6D, selling in the same sub-$1,500 range.

Big question will be the autofocus. Will it be closer to the 70D or to the 80D?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
neuroanatomist said:
Sounds like a good set of specs for an entry level FF dSLR. Should sell like hotcakes.

Now, here come the Canon haters to start bashing the camera based on a rumor, months before it launches...
+1

jolyonralph said:
stupid canon! If it doesn't do xxxx then i'm not buying it!

Just wanted to get in before anyone else :) Sounds a good upgrade to me.
+1

all said ;) thread to be closed :p ;)

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
A bit more information has floated in about the upcoming Canon EOS 6D Mark II, a camera we expect to be announced after NAB in April and before the summer months.</p>
<p>These are few things we’ve been told about the camera.</p>
<ul>
<li>All new sensor
<ul>
<li>We’re told it’s likely going to be 28mp, though the source doesn’t know if that’s total or effective megapixels.</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Dual SD slots</li>
<li>Tilting LCD</li>
<li>Touchscreen</li>
<li>DIGIC 7</li>
<li>Aiming for a sub $2000 USD body only price</li>
<li>DPAF</li>
<li>There has apparently been a lot of internal discussion about the video features and it’s likely we’ll see the camera shoot 4K in some capacity.</li>
<li>Wifi, NFC & Wireless charging</li>
<li>Larger viewfinder</li>
</ul>
<p>We expect to start hearing a lot more about the EOS 6D Mark II in the coming months.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
Sounds more like a wish list than reality. Just needs an articulating instead of tilting screen.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Dual Sd slots: I will wait if dumb Canon really implements it and if it does then surely it will be castrated Sd slots with no Uhs-II or full U3 implementation(dumb Canon only implemented full SDR104 on its 80D for the first time to take full benifit of Uhs-I speeds).
4K Video: dont think so as dumb Canon logic dictates it will cannibalise the sales of craptastic 5D mark 4 whose video is already castrated to protect C series of cameras.
Wireless charging: now that could be useful if the wireless charger is not too expensive and supports Qi standard. Wont mind if this camera doesnt come with gps but implements Qi.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Chaitanya said:
Dual Sd slots: I will wait if dumb Canon really implements it and if it does then surely it will be castrated Sd slots with no Uhs-II or full U3 implementation

Oh, yes...surely.

I believe I've already addressed your concerns...

neuroanatomist said:
Now, here come the Canon haters to start bashing the camera based on a rumor, months before it launches...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Sounds like a good set of specs for an entry level FF dSLR. Should sell like hotcakes.

The question is how will Canon nerf this thing to keep the 5D4 price up where it is: what *won't* the 6D2 get that the 5D4 did? For $2k, there must be some fairly major takeaways.

My guess at the 'never gonna happen on the 6D2' list:

Tough metal body
5D4 sensor
5D4 metering
5D4 AF system
5D4 burst rate
CF card slot

My guess at the 'probably not going to make it to the 6D2' list:

4K (yes, I saw the rumor -- not buying it)
A buffer as big as the 5D4 (shot count before filling, I mean)

Might make it to the 6D2:

DP RAW (perhaps they withhold it as a 'pro body only' feature)

Sure to be on the 6D2:

Anti flicker
Customizable interface like with other recent models
Plurality / spread of f/8 points (more than just the center, but perhaps not 5D4-level of f/8 options)
1/8000 shutter
DPAF
Tilty-flippy touchscreen
Wifi
NFC
GPS

Takeaways from the 6D1: Interchangeable focus screens -- I fail to see why the 6D camp would be offered something kept from the 5D camp for two generations now.

- A

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Maiaibing said:
Sounds more like a wish list than reality.

I thought exactly the same, but who knows?

cani said:
I'm close to buying a 5D Mark IV. Should I wait for the 6D instead? Where's the major benefits of Mark IV now?

If the difference is anything like the difference between a 7D2 and an 80D - i.e. not much when you compare the spec lists, but huge in the hand - then the 5D4 will still be well worth having for many people. (I have to say that though, because I've just bought one.)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:

You know, if you weren't always the first one to post and preemptively start the war, the war might actually end...

One might think you actually enjoy endlessly bickering over the same meaningless stuff... ::)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
da_guy2 said:
Any word on upgrades to the focus system? That's my biggest complaint about the current 6D and what (in my opinion) really needs an upgrade.

It will have more than 9 points. That's about all we know. 5D4 level AF isn't going to happen.

So, as a comically wide set of goal posts, it's going to be somewhere between the 6D1 and 5D4 for AF functionality. I know that doesn't help much, but consider the AF was probably the #1 concern with the 5D2, and the 5D3 was an epic improvement on that front. Canon may do something directionally similar with the 6D2 (though maybe not go all the way to 60+ points).

- A

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:

The question is how will Canon nerf this thing to keep the 5D4 price up where it is: what *won't* the 6D2 get that the 5D4 did? For $2k, there must be some fairly major takeaways.

My guess at the 'never gonna happen on the 6D2' list:

Tough metal body
5D4 sensor
5D4 metering
5D4 AF system
5D4 burst rate
CF card slot

My guess at the 'probably not going to make it to the 6D2' list:

4K (yes, I saw the rumor -- not buying it)
A buffer as big as the 5D4 (shot count before filling, I mean)

Might make it to the 6D2:

DP RAW (perhaps they withhold it as a 'pro body only' feature)

Sure to be on the 6D2:

Anti flicker
Customizable interface like with other recent models
Plurality / spread of f/8 points (more than just the center, but perhaps not 5D4-level of f/8 options)
1/8000 shutter
DPAF
Tilty-flippy touchscreen
Wifi
NFC
GPS

Takeaways from the 6D1: Interchangeable focus screens -- I fail to see why the 6D camp would be offered something kept from the 5D camp for two generations now.

- A

For me this would be a dedicated macro rig and would be very unhappy if it didn't have interchangeable focus screens for better MF lenses. So the tilty flippy is a +++ as well.

Upvote 0