Some Canon EOS 6D Mark II Talk [CR2]

Oct 26, 2013
K said:
Without these specs, this camera Canon can keep it. I will defect to the other side, it isn't as bad as people around here make it to be. It isn't unreasonable to expect these basic camera specs in 2017 for $2,000.

I guess I can't speak for others, but there is no reason to expect that your new Nikon won't be a great camera. Nikon has made great cameras for a long time. If they meet your desires, by all means get one. Aside form the needed to sell your Canon lenses (and other accessories) there is no reason why someone shouldn't switch to Nikon if they want. I don't think the people around here would disagree with that.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
K said:
Thus, a modest upgrade in specs for the mark II would be a bad move by Canon in my opinion. I don't think there's a market place for stripped down, barebones FF cameras for $2,000. It becomes such a bad value, one ought to just shop the used or refurb market for a 5D series or D810.

It all depends on what you want. I would much rather have a camera with no more than 12 AF points. More points (for me) just means more time lost getting the shot. 9 points (center, left, right, and left, right, center along the 1/3 rule lines would be ideal). I have no need for Tilt. No need for video. No need for most of the specs others here want. I would consider the 6D II as long as it has good low light performance, accurate exposure (which Canon usually does) and the usual Canon color and tone curves. That is why I choose Canon over Nikon and Sony.

You can put in every bell and whistle, 100 AF points, 4K, Hybrid viewfinder with histogram, and all the newest tech, but if it doesn't have the usual Canon color and the Canon tones curves/contrast, then I won't buy it. It's about the image for me (and presumably some others) and not the specs.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
And what's with the excuse making for Canon regarding sync speed.

Canon, according to some on this forum, allegedly needs a powerhouse 1DX grade motor to drive 1/250 and clear a FF sized sensor ?

Um...

Nikon D810 does 1/250 AND it has the quietest shutter on the market for a FF DSLR.

Is Nikon putting a D4 grade motor in there? If so, great value. If not, what is Canon doing wrong?

Or maybe Canon is just limiting the camera's real capability...

Something has to give. Either Nikon has better shutter design technology, or Canon is holding back on its users.

Choose one.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
dak723 said:
K said:
Without these specs, this camera Canon can keep it. I will defect to the other side, it isn't as bad as people around here make it to be. It isn't unreasonable to expect these basic camera specs in 2017 for $2,000.

I guess I can't speak for others, but there is no reason to expect that your new Nikon won't be a great camera. Nikon has made great cameras for a long time. If they meet your desires, by all means get one. Aside form the needed to sell your Canon lenses (and other accessories) there is no reason why someone shouldn't switch to Nikon if they want. I don't think the people around here would disagree with that.

Just think, Canon glass has a very high resale value (I know, thoughts like that are anti-switch) but regardless the sale of said lenses will ironically assist you in your venture into the dark side. Nikon does make good gear, enjoy!

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
slclick said:
dak723 said:
K said:

Just think, Canon glass has a very high resale value (I know, thoughts like that are anti-switch) but regardless the sale of said lenses will ironically assist you in your venture into the dark side. Nikon does make good gear, enjoy!

With everyone saying sayonara to me, sounds like they think Canon will cripple the 6D2. As that is what I based my statement on.

I'm still hopeful because the features I want in that camera are pretty reasonable to get at this point and I think Canon will pull through. If they don't offer such basic things, then Canon has really gone extreme in my opinion, and that warrants looking at better values.

We'll find out in a few more months...

Upvote 0
K said:
To all the people who bash, scoff and attack those who have reasonable expectations of the 6D Mark II - consider this:

Nikon D750

24MP with amazing DR
Tilt Screen
6.5 fps
51pt AF which is fast and accurate
DUAL card slot

$1,897

And many other bells and whistles --

Sure, Canon glass is better and all that - but gimme a break, Nikon glass is excellent too. Canon cannot put out another over priced, under featured camera again. The value just wouldn't be there. Features in a body DO matter.

I own a 6D, the AF is limiting. The single card slot is a big liability... I like the camera, but compared to the competition, it is garbage in specs.

This is why I fully expect a 28MP sensor with good DR
45pt AF system
Dual card slot.

^ no exceptions. Without these specs, this camera Canon can keep it. I will defect to the other side, it isn't as bad as people around here make it to be. It isn't unreasonable to expect these basic camera specs in 2017 for $2,000.

You make some good points and I own two 6d and an 80d and have always shot canon (along with a weekend bender with a little m43 tart) - but i'm so sick of cannibalization by canon. The 6d2 - for me really needs to have a rotating screen and f8 AF ability since the 80d has it. 4k would be ok..but honestly high end codec with 1080p 60 or 120fps (dream on) would be fine...and dman it i also want 30 megapretzels. I never saw the need for dual slot as I've dragged my 6d twins all over forests/winter hikes/ scorching jungles and even once dropped it into a river (which it survived AFTER one month in the rice bag trick)....i guess if you shoot weddings you may need the added insurance...but the 6 never was a pro camera..more super enthusiast. My only problem with nikon is the way it fits in my larger hands...just never got used to the way they handled. Anyways I hope canon releases the 6d2 soon...waiting is a bummer...

Upvote 0
K said:
Maiaibing said:
K said:

Remember to send us a nice photo card with your new Nikon gear!

Of course the knee-jerk reaction in here is to advise to get a 5D series "if that's what you need" ...which ignores the whole part about value and what is being offered at $2K by others.

No. I'd love more for less. But its not happening. Compared to the competition (Nikon) the 6D was overpriced, the 5DIII & 5DIV were overpriced and so also the 6DII will be overpriced at launch.

Canon simply relies on its large existing customer base to buy into its relatively expensive DSLR bodies. No reason this will change with the 6DII.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
rrcphoto said:
K said:

except that's the on sale price of a model soon to be replaced. the D750 was 2300 at launch

True, but the price it stayed at the longest, which was it's non-introductory price, and also it's non-inventory reduction price was $1,996.

For clarity, and to not nitpick $100 - $200 ...

I consider anything in the $1700 - $2300 range to be relatively competitive. 5D series and D810 were $3200 cameras, a full $1000+ more and a totally different segment.

The 6D did come out before, so it reasons that it would drop in price sooner. But look at the difference in performance. It's significant. The near pro-level 51pt AF they put in the D750 allows a whole realm of capability the 6D cannot begin to touch. Even though the D750 averaged a bit more in price, they are still competitors in the budget FF market and the value of the D750 is far better. You get 4 more megapixels of resolution. And a massive amount more DR, it isn't even close. Tilt screen is great. It has 5D series speed too! 6D at 4.5fps is quite dated. Dual slots means entry level pros have data security. This is very underrated aspect.

The ONLY place I've ever seen this feature bashed or at least down played is on this forum. That's it. Every person I've talked to in person, working pros, all value this very much.

Why not make the entry into FF for semi-pros a lower price point Canon? Why is the entry point the 5D? That's steep for the part timers and starters who are also trying to get lighting and glass. Losing these guys to Nikon bigtime.

I've said it many times on this board. The vast majority of starters I see are all Nikon. I just don't see Canon out there. The same way NFL sidelines are like 99% Canon. The starters doing portraits, senior pics, weddings, newborns etcetera are all Nikon. It is overwhelmingly so.

Now, some of them, once they make some money with Nikon make the switch to Canon...but many do not because they've invested in the glass and the system. Not so easy to dump a whole lens lineup to switch over.

Protecting the 5D by crippling the 6D line so much is bad idea in my opinion. You can make up the loss of a few 5D sales in the larger number of users you bring into the Canon system buying glass and gear.

Here's some more anecdotal evidence - my friend who works at BB. I asked him. They move way more Nikon gear to that segment than Canon.

I'm hoping the 6D2 reverses this course. Canon can still provide a non-pro, super enthusiast entry FF that makes the hard core hobbyists happy while also making it capable enough for upstart pros to taste the Canon side without threatening 5D sales. The specs we discussed would do all of that.

Because at the end of the day, denying the market a reasonably capable entry FF will not magically create $3,200 in the pocket of the consumer to get a 5D. They weren't going to buy it anyway. That's why they are looking at the $1800 - $2000 range for a FF, because they can't afford a $3000+ class pro DSLR.

Ok, rant over.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
K said:
rrcphoto said:
K said:

except that's the on sale price of a model soon to be replaced. the D750 was 2300 at launch

Ok, rant over.

You do realize that Nikon has a three price points where Canon has two, correct?

Entry: D610 vs. 6D
Mid: D750 vs... [crickets] (no, a marked down 5D3 does not count here)
Pro: D810 vs. 5D4

So the 6D2's immediate competition will be the D620 or whatever they call it, not the D750. The D750 is a unique (and I argue clever) hybrid of entry and pro, much like how the 80D sits between Rebels and the 7D2.

I personally think DPAF + tilty-flippy + on-chip ADC sensor + better OVF-based AF (not stellar, just better) = a sensibly improved product that will sell well. Those are four nontrivial upgrades, even if they nerf the total number of AF points, butter, fps, etc.

That said, if Canon asks for D750-launch sort of price with a meager D620 feature set, good luck to them. If they were so foolish to do that, I'd just six months and I'm sure the price will be where you want it by then.

- A

Upvote 0

smr

Jan 24, 2017
I'm wondering now whether to wait for this or go for the Canon 80D...

I photograph landscape, wildlife, sport, macro, a tiny bit of astro.

I realise for somethings - bar losing the crop factor I'd be able to achieve nice clean astro images but I want something with a fast burst rate - 7fps or higher - will the 6Dmk2, do you think, have the AF system and burst rate that the 80D does in terms of capturing sport and wildlife shots?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
smr said:
I'm wondering now whether to wait for this or go for the Canon 80D...

I photograph landscape, wildlife, sport, macro, a tiny bit of astro.

I realise for somethings - bar losing the crop factor I'd be able to achieve nice clean astro images but I want something with a fast burst rate - 7fps or higher - will the 6Dmk2, do you think, have the AF system and burst rate that the 80D does in terms of capturing sport and wildlife shots?

Who knows? You can re-read this thread and the other 6D thread(s) to get some idea of where people think it is going - but they are always as much wish lists as they are true speculation.

I don't think it will be a high burst rate because that would be a real chimera. The original 6D was a cut-down FF camera in the same way the 7D (at the time) was a cut-down sports camera, and was a reduced-function version of the 5D3. If the 6D2 has the AF that people want plus the burst rate of the 80D, then that will almost make it a higher spec camera than the 5DIV and its price will be set accordingly.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
K said:
rrcphoto said:
K said:

True, but the price it stayed at the longest

it really doesn't matter. no camera company sets initial prices based upon other camera reduced / discounted prices. it's never happened, people keep mentioning this - but it does not happen, and won't happen here.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
K said:
rrcphoto said:
K said:

Ok, rant over.

You do realize that Nikon has a three price points where Canon has two, correct?

So the 6D2's immediate competition will be the D620 or whatever they call it, not the D750. The D750 is a unique (and I argue clever) hybrid of entry and pro, much like how the 80D sits between Rebels and the 7D2.

I personally think DPAF + tilty-flippy + on-chip ADC sensor + better OVF-based AF (not stellar, just better) = a sensibly improved product that will sell well. Those are four nontrivial upgrades, even if they nerf the total number of AF points, butter, fps, etc.

That said, if Canon asks for D750-launch sort of price with a meager D620 feature set, good luck to them. If they were so foolish to do that, I'd just six months and I'm sure the price will be where you want it by then.

- A

I'd like to believe that Nikon had the upper hand with that high res D810 for a few years, and the D750 was the release to compete with the 5D3.

Thats why the fight should be: 6D vs D610, D750 vs 5D4, D810 vs 5DsR

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Personally, while we're talking about overpriced items from Canon, I think the sub 1-D series are all fine. Most lenses except TS-E and great whites as well. No, I'm not saying I think a 600mm should be $4,000...I'm not daft but they are up there a tad. Now if you really want to talk overpriced? Grips and lens caps. Dayum!

But XXD and XD? Nah, they're all worth it.

Upvote 0
What would make me buy the 6DII?
A Sony-quality sensor, an articulated touch screen and a functional low-light and moving target autofocus.
More pixels, not necessarily. A faster Digic? Always welcome. I do not care if it is carbon fibre or magnesium. If it is weather sealed, that's a point. I would like it to connect with Android and iPhone as well, like in DSLR controller.It would really be cool if it had a SIM card so you could use 4G...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
martti said:
What would make me buy the 6DII?
A Sony-quality sensor, an articulated touch screen and a functional low-light and moving target autofocus.
More pixels, not necessarily. A faster Digic? Always welcome. I do not care if it is carbon fibre or magnesium. If it is weather sealed, that's a point. I would like it to connect with Android and iPhone as well, like in DSLR controller.It would really be cool if it had a SIM card so you could use 4G...

I doubt that we will be seeing carbon fibre in camera bodies.... the metal is great for heat transfer :)

Upvote 0
I've been following 6D II rumors for a while but I couldn't wait and got a 5D Mark IV for wedding season.

I think the 6D Mark II will have similiar IQ as the 5D Mark IV if not slightly better at a lower mpx. It will be gimped compared to 5D Mark IV just as 5D Mark IV was gimp compared to 1DX II. Canon doesn't seem to compete with other company based on pricing alone just as Apple doesn't compete with Chinese phone manufactures/PC on their products with so much powerful specs at a lower price. If value is what people after, D750 is a terrific camera.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Alejandro said:
ahsanford said:
K said:
rrcphoto said:
K said:

Ok, rant over.

- A

I'd like to believe that Nikon had the upper hand with that high res D810 for a few years, and the D750 was the release to compete with the 5D3.

Thats why the fight should be: 6D vs D610, D750 vs 5D4, D810 vs 5DsR

I have to wonder if all this Canon vs. Nikon FF comparison is actually meaningful. I know from personal experience that when I was ready to get a FF camera, I was upgrading from a lower end Canon. Since I was used to the Canon ergonomics, and had a Canon EF mount lens (although I only had 1, it was still a consideration. My guess that it is a bigger consideration for most), Nikon was not even a consideration. My choices were which Canon FF should I get. I don't know, but am guessing, that most FF camera purchasers are either upgrading from a particular brand or are already FF users and heavily invested in a particular brand/system. If this is true, then there is no real competition between these various camera models at all as FF camera buyers are not likely to switch brands.

Upvote 0