Bought a 7D, considering exchanging for a 60D. What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
eyeland said:
I thought that the 60D was rated for 100k Clicks and the 7D for 150K?
I'm not sure that is really relevant when we are talking mainly video usage. Really, the question would be more to how well each camera handles heat, etc.

jhpeterson said:
I'd keep the 7d.

While the swivel screen and difference in price make the 60d appear more attractive NOW (you know, the "always greener..." sort of thing), you'll likely soon realize the advantages of the 7d (like the screen that doesn't black out when you press record) outweigh the negatives.
Also, you can make a compelling argument that while the 60D is nice for casual video use, if you are getting paid for a gig, you should be using an external monitor to check focus, etc. You client finding out you have a 60D instead of a 7D is nothing compared to the embarrassment of them finding out their interviews are all out of focus.

Likewise, AFMA is a non-issue in differentiating the two, as you'll be pulling manual focus anyway, not relying on the cameras electronics.

If you were doing casual use, Id agree with those that say 60D, because Magic Lantern support and the swivel screen are nice, cheap stand-ins for pro features. But, when you are a pro, you need the right tool for the job. A DSLR may not even be the answer for some gigs.

Upvote 0
If you bought the 7d already.. It's a bit late now because now your cam is considered used... It is an upgrade to the 60D so just keep it..

I own a 60D wanna trade? Lol

In all honesty.. I love my 60D.. It is my first DLSR and I am able to get really awesome pictures out of it and even started getting paying gigs... If this keeps up I will upgrade to a full frame camera to keep up with professional needs..
For now.. I will enjoy what I have, not worry about the camera body I own and put my focus on investing in quality glass and equipment that Will be able to be used when I do finally upgrade and then I can just buy the body..

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
nolken said:
Currently I'm about 95% leaning toward the 7D. I almost exclusively use an external monitor for studio shots, and I don't think the 60D's 480 out is going to cut it. The more I think about it, the more I am in favor of keeping the 7D.
Yeah, really no reason to swap then. If anything, you should be looking towards the 5d3 or BMCC as a future option

Upvote 0
preppyak said:
nolken said:
Currently I'm about 95% leaning toward the 7D. I almost exclusively use an external monitor for studio shots, and I don't think the 60D's 480 out is going to cut it. The more I think about it, the more I am in favor of keeping the 7D.
Yeah, really no reason to swap then. If anything, you should be looking towards the 5d3 or BMCC as a future option
Those options are definitely in my future, I just don't know when. That was one of the only reasons I was going to go with the 60D over the 7D. My thought was that since I am planning on getting a FF body in the upcoming future, should I just save the money. Sense I don't know when that will be, I'm just going to stick with the 7D more than likely. The uncompressed HDMI out firmware update coming april to the 5D mark III is something to seriously look forward for video.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
I cringe at using a DSLR primarily for video. They aren't intended to shoot video all the time. The sensors do overheat. The diodes blow out. Then when you sell the camera, whoever ends up with it, has a ruined sensor. I would just use a pro video camera. To me, buying a DSLR to use for video, is like buying a sports car and pouring ground up french fries and garbage into the gas tank, because somebody on tv did it once.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
I cringe at using a DSLR primarily for video. They aren't intended to shoot video all the time. The sensors do overheat. The diodes blow out. Then when you sell the camera, whoever ends up with it, has a ruined sensor. I would just use a pro video camera. To me, buying a DSLR to use for video, is like buying a sports car and pouring ground up french fries and garbage into the gas tank, because somebody on tv did it once.

Where I work, before we upgraded to full frame, we used 3 60Ds to shoot for a nonstop 5 hours on days we worked for a particular client, 8 days a month.... When the clips hit their limit we just hit record again with no overheat issue. Almost half the time we shot outdoors. We live in a country that is hot for most of the year, and humid all the time. We did this for almost two years. Yes, we did swing the screen out and use a battery grip to help avoid overheating the main camera, but the B-roll cameras didn't have a grip and didn't overheat either. The idea of overheating is very much over exaggerated.

Upvote 0

eyeland

Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
Feb 28, 2012
Denmark/Isreal
Chosenbydestiny said:
The idea of overheating is very much over exaggerated.
The overheating issue is claimed to be prevalent on the 7D more than the 60D. This is speculated to be caused by the dual digic and/or the fixed screen, but I have no idea to what extend the issue has been exaggerated.
Chosenbydestiny said:
Another thing about magic lantern, is that the 60D is the only body that makes full use of every ML feature. The 7D is still in alpha... You'll have to wait quite awhile before the port is finished.
True, the 7D port is still alpha, but alpha 2 was just released a month ago and from what I understand, all of the important features work now.(ML still has to be manually loaded though).
On top of that, I think that the final release is close seeing as the ML team recently aquired a few much anticipated tools for dealing with the dual-digic (dual-digic is what makes the 7D harder to hack)
I only just saw the alpha 2 yesterday and that (plus the assumption that overheating is a non-issue until you do very intensive shoots) has helped to make my choice of the 7D.

Unlike the OP, I do both Video, Stills, Time-lapse and stop-motion, so for me, in the end, the 7D seems to be a no-brainer.

Upvote 0
eyeland said:
Chosenbydestiny said:
The overheating issue is claimed to be prevalent on the 7D more than the 60D. This is speculated to be caused by the dual digic and/or the fixed screen, but I have no idea to what extend the issue has been exaggerated.
Chosenbydestiny said:
Another thing about magic lantern, is that the 60D is the only body that makes full use of every ML feature. The 7D is still in alpha... You'll have to wait quite awhile before the port is finished.
True, the 7D port is still alpha, but alpha 2 was just released a month ago and from what I understand, all of the important features work now.(ML still has to be manually loaded though).
On top of that, I think that the final release is close seeing as the ML team recently aquired a few much anticipated tools for dealing with the dual-digic (dual-digic is what makes the 7D harder to hack)
I only just saw the alpha 2 yesterday and that (plus the assumption that overheating is a non-issue until you do very intensive shoots) has helped to make my choice of the 7D.

Unlike the OP, I do both Video, Stills, Time-lapse and stop-motion, so for me, in the end, the 7D seems to be a no-brainer.

I do actually do stills quite often. actually more often than video. I just don't make money with my stills.

I agree that the magic lantern alpha 2 is working wonderfully. All the important features to me work great.

Upvote 0
eyeland said:
Chosenbydestiny said:
Chosenbydestiny said:

CarlTN has stated that DSLRs cannot be used for video because of overheating, hence the exaggeration. I've used a 7D as well as a main camera before and I did get the overheat warning, but that was two times in less than a year of use. If it's your only camera it might be a bit scary even to get the blinking red warning one time, I agree, but I don't agree that it's the reason why you can't do video with it all.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
CarlTN said:
If you don't do sports photography, you really don't need a 7D. That said, the 60D is not intended to be used by professionals. It has no auto focus micro adjustment. It has a mostly plastic body.

Unless you mostly shoot in RAW, and print pictures larger than 8x10, the 60D would probably suffice.

Since you seem concerned about losing money to depreciation...and you already bought a 60D, then sold it, then bought a new 7D for a relatively low price, I would just cool it on buying anything else. You're already seeing a lot more depreciation than if you had just bought the one camera and kept it, or else waited and bought a 70D or a 7D II.

As for what looks good in your hands...frankly you're being silly and shallow a bit. Nobody is going to be looking that closely at a crop camera body while it is in your hands, or be able to tell the difference...they are similar in size (maybe between a rebel and a 7D, yes...but not a 60D). People who know, are looking more at what lens you're using anyway.

If you're mostly doing video, anyone who is familiar with that, would be looking more at your sound rig and tripod, or otherwise your cinema grip.

"That said, the 60D is not intended to be used by professionals." I have to hold against that. What is intended to be used by a professional is up to the pro's choice. I've seen a pro of an advertisement agency here in Europe actually use a 60D for video interviews with a band. If that was the case you are aiming at, I as an amateur shouldn't use my 5D3 either ;-) Cams are tools. For whoever will use them...

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Ok then, since you want to parse and nitpick, let me clarify, the 60D is not intended to be used by stills professionals. Sorry I left out the word "stills". But again, it's just not. I also find it hard to believe it's intended for video professionals. I would still say it is not. Doesn't mean they can't use it, or even that it doesn't work well for you...I'm happy to see that it does. But don't sit there and tell me the 60D is intended for video professionals. It's intended to be what it is, an overgrown Rebel designed to fill a small gap in a camera lineup three years ago.

I apologize for looking at this from my still capture perspective, and you all are making interesting points about the lack of a 60D overheating when used for long periods of continuous video. It appears I do stand corrected on that. However, my perspective is different from yours. I wonder how many gigantic red and purple spots due to blown pixels, would show up on that sensor, say if you did longer exposure night photography (as I am known to do) at ISO above the minimum? Say a 2 or 3 minute exposure at ISO 640? If you claim there are none, then that would be hard to back up...because you could simply provide an image that was shot by a body that hadn't seen much video usage (or otherwise clone them out) and I would just have to take your word for it.

Sure, I mean, if all you care about is video, or if your work even buys the bodies for you, then by all means, go nuts. Use and abuse it to the max. I've rarely seen anyone who doesn't own their equipment, not put themselves before the equipment they use. I buy my own equipment, and I don't do video at this time...other than non-pro work with a consumer video camera (for which I consider myself more than a decent videographer. I may have been doing it before some of you were even born, you know, back in 1990).

Just keep in mind, the main reason video professionals use DSLR's (especially the smaller crop bodies) is because it helps their bottom line, and allows for the purchase and usage of many more cameras...not because they generate high quality video. I'm not judging, just stating fact.

Upvote 0

eyeland

Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
Feb 28, 2012
Denmark/Isreal
CarlTN said:
I wonder how many gigantic red and purple spots due to blown pixels, would show up on that sensor, say if you did longer exposure night photography (as I am known to do) at ISO above the minimum? Say a 2 or 3 minute exposure at ISO 640? If you claim there are none, then that would be hard to back up...because you could simply provide an image that was shot by a body that hadn't seen much video usage (or otherwise clone them out) and I would just have to take your word for it.
I never really thought about that, guess it merits some research. Has anyone here found this to be more of a problem on specific bodies?
In the above discussion issue pertaining to overheating of the 60D/7D, I thought it was the CPU heating rather than the sensor, but maybe it is rather the sum of several components?
Also, I recall reading that one of the differences between the 1DX and the 1DC had to do with a different heat-sink, but I naturally assumed that it had to do with the CPU again (the 1D and the 7D both feature dual CPUs)
If this turns out to be an aspect of DSLR video that I have overlooked, it certainly is worth looking into before buying a body for video AND stills use :)

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Thank you eyeland. I have no doubt the CPU needs a heatsink, but I think I read that the 1Dc's sensor had a heatsink. Either way, wherever the most heat originates, it will propagate, and accumulate...as you said. And you don't want the CPU or the sensor to overheat.

Again, it does make sense to me (as others state above), that the 60D having a smaller processor than the 7D, and also the ability to open the LCD and pull it away from the body, would allow further cooling of the sensor, and keep the LCD's heat away from the sensor as well. Just based on this alone, if I were doing mostly video, I would certainly consider the 60D over the 7D. It might also help, in a very hot environment (above 110F maybe), to apply an external aluminum or copper heatsink to the rear of the body (or even something more elaborate), underneath the opened LCD.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
Thank you eyeland. I have no doubt the CPU needs a heatsink, but I think I read that the 1Dc's sensor had a heatsink. Either way, wherever the most heat originates, it will propagate, and accumulate...as you said. And you don't want the CPU or the sensor to overheat.

I'm not doing video, but anyone interested should search in or ask in the Magic Lantern forum, the people there have lots of experience with video on different eos camera bodies and use firmware with modified bitrate, i.e. potentially generating more even more heat - and I vaguely remember problems with the 7d: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.