Canon Announces the EOS Rebel 4000D, The Cheapest DSLR Ever? Will Come to North America as the EOS R

Takingshots

Eos R
Feb 6, 2015
Re: Canon Announces the EOS Rebel 4000D, The Cheapest DSLR Ever? Will Come to North America as the E

LDS said:
jeffa4444 said:
many of the purchasers will only ever take family holiday snaps.

They could also be the first camera many could afford (or wants to spend little anyway), and test if photography is something they like (and are good for). Remember that for many years people entered photography with cameras like the Pentax K1000, no-frills cameras yet good enough.

Sure, one could also go for something used, but there's always the risk of a dud.

If I had young children I'd get one for them to play with and learn. Just like my grandfather had to get me a cheap camera so I no longer put my hands on my father's one... :D

Or maybe I could get one for my father, now that he's old, and never transitioned to digital photography.
"The Cheapest DSLR ever" - does that mean figuratively or dollar cents or both...? Some of the current phones have better specs for its camera. I would think the mellenials would want a very good phones with its decent camera as oppose to carrying the "cheapest dslr" as well as having a phone. Even my cheapest LG phones has modes for shutter and EV adjustments ... Pictures came out quite decent.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Re: Canon Announces the EOS Rebel 4000D, The Cheapest DSLR Ever? Will Come to North America as the E

SkynetTX said:
If you want to take superbly detailed DSLR quality pictures what would you use your DSLR camera like a point and shoot for? If you always use the Scene Intelligent Auto mode with the rear LCD view you will never learn what the settings mean and how to change them to have the required effect.

Does the camera support only the auto mode? No. It would be difficult today to sell a camera with no auto mode and some scene settings - its market would become too limited. Of course, if someone is not interested, ir too lazy to learn photography, no camera could help. And unlike a couple of decades ago, there's a lot of resources to learn from - accessible by the smartphone too.

I'm curious about the "Canon Photo Companion" app, and how good it is to learn the basics.

What Digic 6 would add, for the target market? Uts buyers probably have no idea what a "Digic" is. IIRC the 5DII uses a Digic 4 - and I guess it still deliver excellent images.

The 2000D doesn't use the older sensor.

Upvote 0

mistaspeedy said:
Meanwhile Sony announces the A7III, which totally obliterates the Canon 6D mark II for the same price :D
15 stops of dynamic range
24 megapixels
dual SD card slots
full frame 4K video (full pixel readout)
10fps with mechanical or electronic shutter
IBIS
Battery that lasts 710 shots
and many more features...

Agree, Canon's strategy seems strange putting a lot of focus on cheap cameras.

Upvote 0

I'm not surprised at these new cheap Canon cameras... their features match their price, and I have no complaints with them.

My main complaint has been with cameras like the 6D mark II, which pales in comparison to cameras like the newly announced Sony a7III.

Canon have chosen to restrict and disable many features from that camera, and limit it at the hardware level as well.

Sony goes all out packing as many high-end features into it as it can. More or less 99% of all complaints people had about earlier Sony cameras have been addressed. Even autofocus with Canon lenses has gotten great unless you are the most demanding sports shooter (if you dont like Sony's glass).

The Canon m50 is certainly a step in the right direction... they cant undo previous camera launches... they just need to keep going in that direction and everyone should be happy.

Upvote 0

mistaspeedy said:
I'm not surprised at these new cheap Canon cameras... their features match their price, and I have no complaints with them.

My main complaint has been with cameras like the 6D mark II, which pales in comparison to cameras like the newly announced Sony a7III.

Canon have chosen to restrict and disable many features from that camera, and limit it at the hardware level as well.

Sony goes all out packing as many high-end features into it as it can. More or less 99% of all complaints people had about earlier Sony cameras have been addressed. Even autofocus with Canon lenses has gotten great unless you are the most demanding sports shooter (if you dont like Sony's glass).

The Canon m50 is certainly a step in the right direction... they cant undo previous camera launches... they just need to keep going in that direction and everyone should be happy.

Yep, these cameras fit a gap and that's fine. I get the feeling they're trying to sway some of the second hand market into buying new, which is perfectly fine.

On the other end of the market, it seems a bit more hit and miss. The new a73 really shows the 6dmk2 up, and even hits the 5dmk4 in enough areas that it starts to look a bit behind. It is older yes, and I'm going off specs sheet rather than real world experience, but it's much cheaper too, and appears to address many of the previous shortcomings of the cheaper a72

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

mistaspeedy said:

So feel free to complain in the dedicated thread - what's the reason of doing it here, promote the Sony?

Of course the 2000D and 4000D are aimed at a far different market than $2000 cameras. I would not be surprised if the 4000D will be available, body only, at one tenth of that price.

Upvote 0

Sharlin said:
s87343jim said:
So..... basically 4000D is the same as 550D back in 2010, but with wifi.

It's basically 1300D but with cheaper build. And the 1300D is basically 1200D with wifi. And the 1200D is basically 600D in a smaller body.

Not really. I think its more like a 550D as it doesn't have a flip out screen.

Upvote 0
Re: Will Canon's strategy to counter smart phones be effective?

It appears to me that Canon has the impression of a clunky DSLR is the ultimate upgrade path for ordinary people. A more informed consumer will know that there are a lot more capable mirrorless camera. ala Sony A6X00s, comes in very, very small package. Personally, I think that Canon over-complicates its lineup to milk enough profit at the low end while preserving the profit margin at the high end camera. Will that strategy work in face of Sony's aggressive product introduction and slowly maturing lens lineup (including 3rd party)?

PRINZMETAL said:
It is clear that Canon's strategy against smart phones is to have relatively inexpensive dsrl cameras with feature sets designed for new dsrl users. Will it work?

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

rsdofny said:
It appears to me that Canon has the impression of a clunky DSLR is the ultimate upgrade path for ordinary people. A more informed consumer will know that there are a lot more capable mirrorless camera. ala Sony A6X00s, comes in very, very small package. Personally, I think that Canon over-complicates its lineup to milk enough profit at the low end while preserving the profit margin at the high end camera. Will that strategy work in face of Sony's aggressive product introduction and slowly maturing lens lineup (including 3rd party)?

PRINZMETAL said:
It is clear that Canon's strategy against smart phones is to have relatively inexpensive dsrl cameras with feature sets designed for new dsrl users. Will it work?

Ehh. It’s abundantly clear that Canon has multiple offerings for different demographics upgrading from camera phones. For those demographics that want a small camera they have various PowerShots and EOS M bodies like the M100 and the new M50. But as they certainly know based on sales figures, there are still demographics desiring a ”serious”-looking body, ie. a DSLR. These cheap Rebels are still the cameras that fund the R&D of Canon’s mirrorless endeavour as well as higher-end DSLRs.

Upvote 0

mistaspeedy said:
Meanwhile Sony announces the A7III, which totally obliterates the Canon 6D mark II for the same price :D
15 stops of dynamic range
24 megapixels
dual SD card slots
full frame 4K video (full pixel readout)
10fps with mechanical or electronic shutter
IBIS
Battery that lasts 710 shots
and many more features...

Precisely what does that have to do with this thread?

mistaspeedy said:

Once again, what does the second statement have to do with this thread? You don't have a problem with the 2000/4000D, end of story. Go and moan about Canon's corporate strategy on threads dedicated to that. Incidentally, comparing a couple of entry-level, ultra-budget models to a higher end camera that costs several times more is disingenuous to say the least.

Upvote 0

I have to say, when I saw the prices of the latest releases from Canon, I found the M50 seemed good value, whereas these two DSLRs don't seem all that great in comparison - clearly they are different beasts, of course, but the 4000D in particular would be a hard sell (body only it's £40 less than the 2000D); obviously this is recommended pricing, and they'll come down, but at present if I were asked by someone starting out, I'd recommend they get a secondhand copy of an older model that offers this much for less, or for the same price, possibly more. It's not fair to compare RRP to street price, except when it comes to actual purchasing decisions, when you must assess the whole market and what your budget can get you. Having said all that, pushing the lower boundary is a good thing, and if it encourages more people to get into photography, all the better (the venerable 300D was in that spirit, after all).

Upvote 0

Releasing cheapest-in-class DSLRs is classic Canon... 5D and 300D were the ones I remember.

As to the only modest price difference between the 4000D & 2000D, people at this end of the market are extremely sensitive to price.

I've a 550D and these look pretty comparable.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

rsdofny said:

A few years ago I was eagerly awaiting a successor to the A6000, and I'm still waiting.
Same for the A5100.
All Sony has done since then is made even more expensive bodies. The A6000 is ancient and overpriced for what it does, Sony should have discontinued it and the A5300 years ago, even if just to refresh the user interface.

Upvote 0