Canon Announces the EOS Rebel T6 (1300D)

Karen said:
Is there any chance that Canon would update Rebel T6s/760D later this year since the newly introduced Canon 1300 D is also called T6? Any ideas?
It is unlikely to happen an update for T6s this year, as it already has Wi-Fi and NFC. Probably in 2017, we will see a replacement.

If you want something more than T6s, the 70D is being sold at very good prices.
If you want some more resource, the 80D is reaching the stores this month.

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
The photography world has spoken and Canon listened.

Food mode. That's what the DSLR world has been lacking. ;)

I wish Canon the best of luck with this new camera. The profit from these lower level cameras is what pays for the R&D for the higher level cameras.

If this sells well I wouldn't be surprised of Food option settings in pro DSLR. Food chains and expensive restaurants create dish photos like fashion. There's a whole industry out there. It's fun but can also be business.

Upvote 0
George D. said:

I wish Canon the best of luck with this new camera. The profit from these lower level cameras is what pays for the R&D for the higher level cameras.

If this sells well I wouldn't be surprised of Food option settings in pro DSLR. Food chains and expensive restaurants create dish photos like fashion. There's a whole industry out there. It's fun but can also be business.
You're joking, right? A pro needs a "food mode" about as much as a pro needs a fashion mode, a sports mode, a portrait mode, or a landscape mode.

Deutsch Photography, Inc.: NYC Wedding Photographer | Actor and Corporate Headshots NYC | Family and Baby Portraits

Upvote 0
Canon will probably sell these by the thousands. Credits to them for making money. It just struck me, it seems like a good camera to use all the spare parts from former rebels. No need to waste good parts! Add WiFi and NFC, and voila! This is a t2i (great camera!) with a DIGIC4+ (instead of DIGIC4), wifi, nfc and a food mode...
Yep, use all the spare parts. I retract my earlier statement that this was a waste of time and resources. Better to sell all the spares than throw them away.

Perhaps a better name for the camera would be #Blogger_t2i :)

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
Well, clearly Canon should offer you a position as a highly paid consultant. You've got this all figured out!

The MAIN VALUE that smartphones offer to a majority are mobile data (WiFi is so last decade) and always with you because it fits in your pocket. I guess you kinda left those off your list, or maybe you think Canon can just flatten the T6 in a hydraulic press to make it competitive. ::)

Th idea is not to compete with smart phones. It would make no sense as there are 100 smart phones sold for every DSLR/MILC. The idea is to work with the smart phones. The WiFi is for transferring the images to the smart phone where they can be edited and sent with the features that the user is already familiar. It would not make sense to reinvent the wheel and put those features to the camera. Mobile data on camera would add additional costs for the data plan. I could see that useful in professional setting but not on an entry level camera.

Yes, the video does not match top level smart phones but DSRLs are mainly for photos and this is not a camera for someone who has a $1000 smart phone. The Full HD video at 25/30 fps is enough for most users.

What I find strange is that it lacks sensor cleaning. That would probably attract entry level users who does not like the idea of cleaning the sensor. I am here talking about marketing not on how effective or useful those are in practice. Also that probably means that if it gets a hot pixel one has to take it to service for it to me masked out. Sure as most users will have the kit lens always on sensor cleaning is not an issue.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
bdeutsch said:
George D. said:

You're joking, right? A pro needs a "food mode" about as much as a pro needs a fashion mode, a sports mode, a portrait mode, or a landscape mode.

Deutsch Photography, Inc.: NYC Wedding Photographer | Actor and Corporate Headshots NYC | Family and Baby Portraits

Professional? No. Bloggers, small independent restaurants, heck, you can buy egg salad on Kickstarter. lots of people are going to want "next step" food images without being intimately familiar with a camera.
But the 1300D also gives you full access to the EOS ecosystem and lets you jump as far down the rabbit hole as you could want.

Cat mode would be great too. Actually Food mode would probably work well for cats. Actually, Cats are an appropriate subject for Food mode for about a quarter of the people on Earth (and especially people from Melmac).

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
okaro said:
neuroanatomist said:
Well, clearly Canon should offer you a position as a highly paid consultant. You've got this all figured out!

The MAIN VALUE that smartphones offer to a majority are mobile data (WiFi is so last decade) and always with you because it fits in your pocket. I guess you kinda left those off your list, or maybe you think Canon can just flatten the T6 in a hydraulic press to make it competitive. ::)

Th idea is not to compete with smart phones. It would make no sense as there are 100 smart phones sold for every DSLR/MILC. The idea is to work with the smart phones. The WiFi is for transferring the images to the smart phone where they can be edited and sent with the features that the user is already familiar. It would not make sense to reinvent the wheel and put those features to the camera. Mobile data on camera would add additional costs for the data plan. I could see that useful in professional setting but not on an entry level camera.

Yes, the video does not match top level smart phones but DSRLs are mainly for photos and this is not a camera for someone who has a $1000 smart phone. The Full HD video at 25/30 fps is enough for most users.

What I find strange is that it lacks sensor cleaning. That would probably attract entry level users who does not like the idea of cleaning the sensor. I am here talking about marketing not on how effective or useful those are in practice. Also that probably means that if it gets a hot pixel one has to take it to service for it to me masked out. Sure as most users will have the kit lens always on sensor cleaning is not an issue.
Maybe Canon thought that 1300D buyers will never change lenses which may seem funny initially but on second thought maybe it isn't!

Upvote 0
okaro said:

Perhaps they got it wrong, but the specs on B&H indicate "Dust Reduction System = Yes" — the same as every other Canon DSLR.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Refurb7 said:
okaro said:

Perhaps they got it wrong, but the specs on B&H indicate "Dust Reduction System = Yes" — the same as every other Canon DSLR.

I looked it up in the manual (p. 299):

Dust delete feature: Dust Delete Data appending, Clean manually

Compare to eg. the 80D manual (p. 497) which states:

Dust delete feature: Auto, Manual, Dust Delete Data appending

Upvote 0