Canon EOS M50, More Images and Specifications

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
Re: Test Bed Platform

This appears to have genuinely new stuff, put in an entry-to-mid line. That shouts out, "Test Bed!" especially because it's not filling in an expected lineup hole nor updating an older entry in an existing position.

The dual IS, new raw, baked-in DLO, and probably 4 other things appear to be completely novel.

Canon doesn't 'innovate'. ;D

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Aug 23, 2014
rrcphoto said:
crazyrunner33 said:
rrcphoto said:
thinking about this camera, it really sounds like canon decided to make the choice camera for vlogging.

external mic, don't care about headphone jack, minimal controls and a front facing screen that you can still attach a mic on the hotshoe

if this camera fits in with the sub-$799 pricing, Canon in one shot probably put themselves back squarely into the vlogging conversation. DPAF, Canon colors, fully articulating screen and 4K? there's nothing missing from that for even the fastidious of vloggers. the mic jack could have been placed better, but that's a minor complaint really.

vloggers have been moving back to 1080p Canon cameras just for the color and DPAF, this should worry the panasonics of the world that their low end vlogging capable cameras like the GX85 are no longer safe.

this all goes out the door if it's MJPEG, or priced alot higher. or has a horrendous 4k crop.

But for now it's looking like a pretty good camera for that segment of the market that Canon for the most part has ignored.

The last missing puzzle piece is time limit in 4K and reliability. Panasonic has produced reliable small large sensor cameras with 4K for years, but Sony has shown that they can't do it reliably, and that's why Canon stuck with MJPEG. Crossing my fingers in hopes that the DIGIC 8 and the new sensor can deal with heat.

true that. I would assume that canon wouldn't put it in the camera if it overheats like a sony-made camera coffee warmer.

LOL.

Upvote 0
It really makes me sad that there isn't a wired remote available for this. While skydiving photography is indeed a very niche market, the vast majority of people slapping new cameras on helmets are doing so with Sony mirrorless. Saving that much weight and space on the helmet is a no brainer. I need a wired remote for my bite switch, so I guess m6 it is instead of m50.
Note to Canon - I would pretty much pay whatever you wanted to charge for a USB adapter for a wired remote. For the 6 years I've been in the sport, it went from almost exclusively Canon, to almost exclusively Sony for new setups.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
skyshooter said:
It really makes me sad that there isn't a wired remote available for this. While skydiving photography is indeed a very niche market, the vast majority of people slapping new cameras on helmets are doing so with Sony mirrorless. Saving that much weight and space on the helmet is a no brainer. I need a wired remote for my bite switch, so I guess m6 it is instead of m50.
Note to Canon - I would pretty much pay whatever you wanted to charge for a USB adapter for a wired remote. For the 6 years I've been in the sport, it went from almost exclusively Canon, to almost exclusively Sony for new setups.

why not use the bluetooth remote?

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Aug 23, 2014
rrcphoto said:
rs said:
Canon Rumors said:
Pupil detection AF

Is the the return of the EOS 5?

probably not. it's more like eye-AF such as Sony and Fuji cameras.

That appears to be the case. They used 'detection'/'recognition' as opposed to 'control'.
I was wondering about using 'pupil' instead of 'eye'. Is this a patent issue? Or Canon is just trying to be sexy or different?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Diltiazem said:
rrcphoto said:
rs said:
Canon Rumors said:
Pupil detection AF

Is the the return of the EOS 5?

probably not. it's more like eye-AF such as Sony and Fuji cameras.

That appears to be the case. They used 'detection'/'recognition' as opposed to 'control'.
I was wondering about using 'pupil' instead of 'eye'. Is this a patent issue? Or Canon is just trying to be sexy or different?

it's just the quirks of machine based language translations from Japanese.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
IglooEater said:
skyshooter said:
...the vast majority of people slapping new cameras on helmets are doing so with Sony mirrorless.

It is? My experience is not representative of the entire market, but the only cameras I’ve ever seen on helmets are GoPro-type cameras, not ilc’s of any kind.

Then we have Bill and the 35mm movie camera on a football helmet......

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
More or less the Canon mirrorless I have been waiting for. When Canon stops focusing on whats best to LEAVE OUT of a body, great things can happen,

Hell, ill take modest improvements just to get a FULL SWIVEL SCREEN (!!!!!).

If that eye detection works well, god help me this can do some work all alone and leave the 5d at home.

cmon Canon...MAKE IT HAPPEN.

PS- i hope they finally switch back to the rebel firmware- the M3/4/5/6 firmware is slow and utterly miserable powershot trash.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Sharlin said:
rrcphoto said:
it could be a bad assumption, canon has done weird and whacky things to the EF-M lineup (i'm looking at YOU M3.. )

I think the M3 and earlier M bodies can now be safely considered learning experiences for Canon. Some questionable decisions may have stemmed from internal politicking (I'm pretty sure they have had executive-level disagreements on whether this mirrorless thing is real and if it is, how quickly they should hop on the bandwagon). The new generation (M5, M6, M100, M50) seem to have a much more consistent, decisive drive behind them, which is also reflected by the change in naming convention.

It makes me sad that no one mentions the dog slow powershot menu UI. My M1 is super responsive, compared to the mess on these cameras. I can't fathom why they would be using this firmware at all when thy could just use the existing rebel firmware, which is well mature.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
The Fat Fish said:
These specs already upstage EOS M5
not really if you consider ergonomics a part of a camera.
I'd never replace my M5 with this.
not in a million years.
+1

For a stills shooter, there isn't anything here apparently improved over the M5 other than a full tilt/swivel LCD. For video, yeah, looks like a nice upgrade.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ashmadux said:
i hope they finally switch back to the rebel firmware- the M3/4/5/6 firmware is slow and utterly miserable powershot trash.

The powershot firmware is the reason we got EVF, focus peaking and all the other goodies on the mirrorless side.

also the M5 and M6 in my usage is just as responsive as the M/M2 was. the m3 was a dog and shouldn't even be in this conversation.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
bholliman said:
rrcphoto said:
The Fat Fish said:
not in a million years.
+1

For a stills shooter, there isn't anything here apparently improved over the M5 other than a full tilt/swivel LCD. For video, yeah, looks like a nice upgrade.

there's some cool hints of what an M5 II would have such as eye AF, wider AF area, more focus zones, faster AF, C-RAW, DLO in camera and keeping the M5 stills ergonomics.

DIGIC 8 seems to be bringing alot of processor tricks down to mirrorless.

I find the 24MP sensor in the M5 to be good enough for anything i shoot in terms of APS-C IQ, frankly i don't see me wishing for an upgrade there at all.

That would be a camera i have a hard time saying no to.

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
bholliman said:
rrcphoto said:
The Fat Fish said:
not in a million years.
+1

At least for me, M6 LCD is more appealing. It is less noticable and needs less space around the camera which is positive for photographing in streets and busy places.

Upvote 0