Canon EOS R5 Specifications

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
True that. But, the competition has stuff in their pipelines, too. They can play defense. They can make promises (development announcements), spread disinformation and generally create Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) that confuses the market and dulls you’re future product. There is also very real risk in announcing product early that unexpected circumstances or glitches cause a delay. You can completely freeze (or nearly) your own sales (and revenue) for months until you can ship the hot new product. Heck, even a crazy virus can close your plants. Lots of risk, not much benefit. That’s what I’ve learned first hand in the tech industry.

These new R products have been in development stages for YEARS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I disagree unfortunately. I think the last new DSLR by Canon has already been introduced.

For those that prefer OVF over EVF, I would stick with existing gear until I got used to EVF - I wouldn't buy a new DSLR anymore (except 1D sports users).

The reason is lenses. With the development of RF glass and their better optical quality due to short flange distance, a DSLR photographer is handcuffing himself to older EF lenses that Canon will no longer develop. An R series camera can adapt EF lens, but DSLR can't adapt R glass.

That is a much bigger disadvantage than latency in viewfinder.

It is now an inevitable shift to mirrorless, equivalent to when digital took over from film.

You might be willing to retool your entire professional bag over the next year, but the vast majority of 5D users will NOT. They have extensive libraries of EF glass, some even still using 5D2 cameras. More still using 5D3. It would be WAAAAY too easy for Canon to make a 5D5 to satisfy those wedding photogs who adore that ergonomic form factor and make a mint on selling them as the farewell address to the 5D body line. This would afford Canon's LARGEST professional body user base an extra 3-4 years to map their migrations over to R bodies, even adapting their lenses if need be. The only other way that works is IF IF IF Canon develops this new R5 body to mimic and feel like the current 5D body. In other words, make it artificially larger. Another possibility is throwing in a free adapter for EF glass again. I would be VERY surprised if we don't see see one last iteration of the 5D body based on the R5 tech/guts

Upvote 0
Like me, you may want to look at the R6 rumors. I'm betting that IF this truly can pull off 4k120, it's going to have to be a 1:1 pixel ratio which would be something like a 2.5x CROP. HUUUUGE CROP. Which, if can slap on a super wide lens and you DONT need a wide shot... That works! But do NOT expect 4k@120 in FF or any sort of nominal crop. PERIOD. The R6 rumors as of this moment show 4K@60, which should be the same parameters as the 1DX3. Even with the 1.3x Crop to get DPAF, that is perfectly fine. Want FF? You got it, just no DPAF. for Video shooting I would MUCH rather a far lower MP machine (ideally 1:1 like the a7S) and damn the oversampling. Go check out the R6 rumors.
Probably true, but I own lots of EF glass and the metabones .71x speedbooster works nicely on my current R.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
These new R products have been in development stages for YEARS.
Sure. Absolutely correct. But I wouldn’t call ahead and tell my competitors in detail what I will be selling in six months. I think that gives away a huge tactical advantage. Unless you’re Elon Musk. I’m sure Canon knows what their doing and has a plan. They’re smart. It's just surprising to me that it’s such a long lead time to shipping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I disagree unfortunately. I think the last new DSLR by Canon has already been introduced.

For those that prefer OVF over EVF, I would stick with existing gear until I got used to EVF - I wouldn't buy a new DSLR anymore (except 1D sports users).

The reason is lenses. With the development of RF glass and their better optical quality due to short flange distance, a DSLR photographer is handcuffing himself to older EF lenses that Canon will no longer develop. An R series camera can adapt EF lens, but DSLR can't adapt R glass.

That is a much bigger disadvantage than latency in viewfinder.

It is now an inevitable shift to mirrorless, equivalent to when digital took over from film.
I believe that the EVF revolution will be played out by sales figures. It is far too early to predict the evolutionary tract of the viewfinder. Canon is very good and waiting and seeing.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Probably true, but I own lots of EF glass and the metabones .71x speedbooster works nicely on my current R.
Shooting video on the EOS R myself... I would GREATLY prefer having an R6 with FF readouts on my L glass. Huge difference. I can get that on my DX2 now (1.3 crop is so little it almost doesn't matter), but I can't get 4K out to my Atomos.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
One is created in the mind of the artist, one is captured from the universe by the tool in the hands of the technician.

The mind of the artist is rarely, if ever, anything more than the sum total of the parts of the universe to which that mind has been exposed.

Upvote 0
Count me down as one who thinks we will not see a 5D5. I just don't see it. Canon is clearly moving in the RF direction and you put an EF-RF adapter on the R5 and leave it on there and you can use all the EF glass you want--with IBIS. Just my guess.

I understand why they are making the 1DXiii with a mirror, but not so sure we will see a 5D5 as the advantages over an R5 are less dramatic.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Photography is a means of documentation that can, if desired, be done in an aesthetically pleasing way.

How is that different from a painting of a landscape, or a sculpture of a person, or any other art representing something else that exists in the universe?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Sure. Absolutely correct. But I wouldn’t call ahead and tell my competitors in detail what I will be selling in six months. I think that gives away a huge tactical advantage. Unless you’re Elon Musk.

Rumors of new cameras and specs have been dropping on this website for many years, months ahead of their announcements. Nothing new. Canon is the biggest kid on this block and it doesn't matter. Of course they announce the development months ahead of release. If they don't they LOSE sales by people buying other cameras from Fuji and Sony and so on in the meantime who would otherwise wait 3-4 months after announcement for a Canon.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
You might be willing to retool your entire professional bag over the next year, but the vast majority of 5D users will NOT. They have extensive libraries of EF glass, some even still using 5D2 cameras. More still using 5D3. It would be WAAAAY too easy for Canon to make a 5D5 to satisfy those wedding photogs who adore that ergonomic form factor and make a mint on selling them as the farewell address to the 5D body line. This would afford Canon's LARGEST professional body user base an extra 3-4 years to map their migrations over to R bodies, even adapting their lenses if need be. The only other way that works is IF IF IF Canon develops this new R5 body to mimic and feel like the current 5D body. In other words, make it artificially larger. Another possibility is throwing in a free adapter for EF glass again. I would be VERY surprised if we don't see see one last iteration of the 5D body based on the R5 tech/guts

Obviously this is only my opinion, no inside info. I believe Canon engineered the flawless R to EF adapter so that the existing EF lenses would not be orphaned in the way FD lenses were back in the day ( I still have an AE-1!).
But make no mistake, DSLRs are living on borrowed time. So I would advise most photographers to move to mirrorless if they are in the market for a new camera.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Just because all art forms accepted (except photography) can start from nothing doesn't mean that everything that is started from nothing is art. Assuming so would be a logical fallacy. Art also has to have a creative element and be aesthetically pleasing to at least some people (most art is aesthetically pleasing to a small fraction of the population).

Art does not need to be aesthetically pleasing at all. Much art is noted precisely because it can be aesthetically disturbing in a most non pleasing way.

All art is about an interpretation of what already exists somewhere in the universe that evokes an emotional or intellectual response in the person perceiving the art.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Count me down as one who thinks we will not see a 5D5. I just don't see it. Canon is clearly moving in the RF direction and you put an EF-RF adapter on the R5 and leave it on there and you can use all the EF glass you want--with IBIS. Just my guess.

I understand why they are making the 1DXiii with a mirror, but not so sure we will see a 5D5 as the advantages over an R5 are less dramatic.

Because having a body built for a native mount is still ergonomically superior to slapping on an adapter and the crowd of 5D users is one Canon caters their pro business to.

Upvote 0
We were discussing high ISO performance, not base ISO DR.
Looks like everyone was discussing what concerns them the most. I was more concerned about the base ISO DR.

With regard to base ISO DR: can you show us, with real world photographs, what the difference on that chart means to the human eye?

We've already gone through it in other threads. 2 stop difference is huge. 1.1 stops is quite noticeable.
But ok, here's an example. This image was shot using ETTR. Before editing, the rocks were almost completely black and the sky looked blown out (but wasn't).
I lifted the shadows by about 1.5 stops. I'd have gotten very noisy shadows on a camera with s 2-stop poorer performance than my 5DIV. Probably unusable.
For a more scientific demonstration I'd need to shoot that scene with two cameras, but thanks no, proving myself right on a forum isn't worth the hassle. :)

This is why you can take a dual pixel RAW and extend DR by about 1ev.

This is what we've also discussed a couple of times before. No, DPRSplit tool doesn't really work, it often spoils highlights and can't be relied upon. I've even shown examples some time ago. https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...ic-range-using-dpaf-sensors.37447/post-787672

As a consumer, I don't really care why Canon lags behind in DR, sure it can be because of the dual-pixel tech, but I don't care.20191214-IMG_6203-Edit-2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Sure. Absolutely correct. But I wouldn’t call ahead and tell my competitors in detail what I will be selling in six months. I think that gives away a huge tactical advantage. Unless you’re Elon Musk.
I'll recall the very middle 1980s. I worked for Proctor and Gamble in the factory that made Duncan Hines Ready to Serve Cookies. Via industrial espionage a competitor beat us to market with our own product. Needless to say, our product lost out on the element of surprise and failed in the market. That was spying from within. If we are hearing leaks now it is because Canon wants us to. Sony already knew anyway. Just my opinion based on my personal experience and having to move to the Pringle's division. ;) Damn Elves.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
It's basically a stripped down 5D mk4. It's the exact same sensor as the 5D mk4. That camera was $3,500 when it launched new. It's still $2,600 new several years later. Yes, it has 2 card slots. The EOS R has some improvements to it's video codecs that the mk4 doesn't have though. All and all I think the launch price on the EOS R was very reasonable. When the EOS R dropped to $1,500 for Christmas I nearly snagged one then but I'm waiting for this rumored R5!

I agree. I picked up the R at $1499 from Glazer's here in Seattle before Christmas, and I feel like I stole this camera. As an enthusiast upgrading from an OG 6D, it got me into mirrorless with a better sensor, AF, and all the advantages of mirrorless for waaaaay less than a 5DIV. It's almost a perfect enthusiast camera. My only gripe is the touch bar, but frankly the usability of the R is so much greater than the 6D that I just don't care. My guess is the R5 will be way too rich for my blood and for features and specs that do not matter to me in the slightest, so I'm happy I bought when I did.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Obviously this is only my opinion, no inside info. I believe Canon engineered the flawless R to EF adapter so that the existing EF lenses would not be orphaned in the way FD lenses were back in the day ( I still have an AE-1!).
But make no mistake, DSLRs are living on borrowed time. So I would advise most photographers to move to mirrorless if they are in the market for a new camera.

The adapters work great. It's about the ergonomics feel. The 5D4 is about 3 years now. I think they will kick out one more next year and that will be it. Their biggest pro base needs time to migrate over, and a 5D5 would be exceptionally cost effective to make by that point. It's just a gut instinct. If I'm wrong. I'm wrong. no biggie. Just trying to express where I'm coming from. Also bear in mind, that retirement roadmap for the 5D5 will have a LOT to do with how fast they can flesh out the RF glass library

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Well... the 1DXIII is (via www) 6500$ in US - and 7300€ in Germany... :eek:
Ordered the 5D IV back in 2016 at 4099€... so 4500 should be possible. I do hope for cheaper prices too.

I do believe, Canon will milk the cow an much as possible.

In most places in the U.S., $6500 + sales tax = around $7100.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I'll recall the very middle 1980s. I worked for Proctor and Gamble in the factory that made Duncan Hines Ready to Serve Cookies. Via industrial espionage a competitor beat us to market with our own product. Needless to say, our product lost out on the element of surprise and failed in the market. That was spying from within. If we are hearing leaks now it is because Canon wants us to. Sony already knew anyway. Just my opinion based on my personal experience and having to move to the Pringle's division. ;) Damn Elves.
You are probably totally correct. There aren’t many secrets these days.

Upvote 0