DPReview: Canon EOS R5 and R6 overheating claims tested: cameras work as promised – but that’s not enough

allanP

Contax/Canon and medium format
Jan 3, 2014
I tested R5 and R6 just now and I find the camera body barely warm while the overheat sign shows .It is almost like a software limitation intended by Canon .I bet a firmware update will fix all the significant overheat issue hype over the internet .
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Heat dissipation through firmware? Sorry, someone wasn't paying attention in physics class.
Only possible by permanently switching off (8k and Hi-Speed 4k) via firmware.
Then the camera would also be interesting for photographers if the price were reduced to 3k.
Why should you pay for the features you clearly lied about?

Richard Shepherd, Canon UK Pro Product Marketing Senior Manager, said:
“Last month we revealed specs confirming that we have achieved the ‘impossible’ with the EOS R5. Today, we go one step further in showing we are challenging the market and showcasing our unparalleled strength – revealing the camera will offer video recording capabilities unseen in any other mirrorless camera. With its ability to record in cinema industry-standard formats and codecs, the EOS R5 is an ideal lead camera for many productions but also, given its compatibility with cinema workflows, the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets.”

Here, I would apologize and cut price for this R5 edition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
up to 6 hours cool down? righto.. something new again... just how credible is this number one would thought?

a kettle with about 1L of water in it heated to 100C would take about 30 min to cool down at room temperature conditions. unless R5 is a double walled water flask or something..
I believe the 6 hour figure came about because a youtuber found that's how long it took for the maximum recording time to show again. But a shorter cooldown would still give you some extra minutes. I'm hoping DPReviews tests are a good guide.

Upvote 0
yes, completely different issue all together. not overheating.. I would hate to experience a lock up while I am shooting though. never experienced one with Canon hence I am still with the brand..

I had two or three crashes in 5DIV in 2016 after the purchase, the issue disappeared after one of the firmware updates.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hmmm. Guess we'd need a little more information on what specs are important to you. You're going to run into tradeoffs for all of them.
  • Sony A7SIII - Near perfect for video but bad IBIS, Animal AF doesn't work with Video, Expensive
  • Canon R6 - Excellent IBIS & AF, Thermal Limitations, UWA IBIS Wobbles
  • Panasonic S1 - 4K60 but with S35 crop. Will need paid upgrades to use better codecs. Poor AF. Not the best Colors SOC, IBIS not as good as M4/3 bodies, Excellent current street pricing.
  • Panasonic GH5 - Like the S1 but 4K60 on M4/3 sensor. More Affordable. Excellent IBIS
  • Panasonic S1H - A bigger polished more expensive S1
  • Fujifilm XT4 - Nice Colors, Good Dynamic Range, APS-C Crop, Thermal Limitations, Poor AF, UWA IBIS Wobbles

Well i'd like to have
- Fullframe
- 10 bit 4:2:2 codecs
- Log profiles
- 4K up to 50fps (100 if possible, or 100fps in FHD)
- some kind of ibis
- flipscreen
- (dual card slots)
- price range of 2000-3000 euro's

I'd like to have a sony or canon camera. The A7S III is nearly perfect but just a little expensive for me and the R6 has overheating issues i actually can't deal with
Hopefully canon comes with a solution for the overheating problems that makes the R6 just of a very nice dedicated video camera.

Upvote 0

allanP

Contax/Canon and medium format
Jan 3, 2014
well this surprised me too yesterday when I got the signal; I expected the camera to be very hot but it wasn't. Or they've made it in a way the heat stays completely inside
Magic word - isolation. What you feel is not what you have inside.
This is also a reason why the long cool down time

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Heat dissipation through firmware? Sorry, someone wasn't paying attention in physics class.
Only possible by permanently switching off (8k and Hi-Speed 4k) via firmware.
[..]

It's even easier to do the same as Sony did with their earlier overheating cameras: just raise the threshold temperature.

Upvote 0
I disagree. The YouTube idiots grabbed a piece of a rumored spec sheet and beat it into the ground until expectations were blown completely out of proportion.

The problem isn’t the messaging, it’s people not hearing what they wanted to hear and reacting in a typical way for the times.
Very true.

But ,....., on the other hand, this is perhaps the double-edge to the sword of placing certain juicy tidbits into the market and then allowing the internet to propagate your messaging and generate loads of buzz. The internet can be great for getting hints out there, and then allowing "the public" to do your marketing for you as one hype spawns a handful more and so on. The downside is that if you relinquish some control of the marketing, then you can't be quite sure where it will go to.

Am I alone own thinking Canon must have been thrilled by the coverage they were getting in the early days as the hype built and built, which has then perhaps turned to dismay now that it has gone a little off the rails as "8k video!!" has unfortunately become the message so may have taken away? (Whether that was the intended message or not).

From all I read and see, the R5 seems like an amazing (stills) camera - but I think Canon Marketing may now wish they had been more in control of pushing the message they should. (I do realise that is now being wise in hindsight).

Upvote 0
Very true.

But ,....., on the other hand, this is perhaps the double-edge to the sword of placing certain juicy tidbits into the market and then allowing the internet to propagate your messaging and generate loads of buzz. The internet can be great for getting hints out there, and then allowing "the public" to do your marketing for you as one hype spawns a handful more and so on. The downside is that if you relinquish some control of the marketing, then you can't be quite sure where it will go to.

Am I alone own thinking Canon must have been thrilled by the coverage they were getting in the early days as the hype built and built, which has then perhaps turned to dismay now that it has gone a little off the rails as "8k video!!" has unfortunately become the message so may have taken away? (Whether that was the intended message or not).

From all I read and see, the R5 seems like an amazing (stills) camera - but I think Canon Marketing may now wish they had been more in control of pushing the message they should. (I do realise that is now being wise in hindsight).
I think you're probably right in that they let the hype train get a little out of control. Having said that I honestly thought 8k would be for a max burst of 5 minutes. The fact you can get around 20 minutes in ideal conditions exceeded my expectations.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
This is important, i was thinking that the camera would be completely non operational while cooldown.
Jeah :) If you realy let it run in total overheat, it will freeze and you need to take out the battery. But the file is there until the end.
Then you can restart the camera and can immediately start recording in 4k30 :)

I just tested external recording again: 4k60 worked for 1:40 h until the battery died. It showed overheat after a long time, but it did not overheat =) Recording quality was not affected until the last frame.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Very true. I'm interested to see the quality of the crop 4k 30 that doesn't overheat. Might be my go to mode when I get the R5
Didnt test that so far. But the fullframe mode also doenst overheat :)
If I have time I will post comparisons between 4k30 fullframe and crop mode to compare the quality =)

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Okay, that first part may be true.
So far my R5 got no kind of highly unpredicatable behavior and these 6 hours cool down time is simply wrong.
And do not forget: even after a complete overheat, you can switch IMMEDIATLY to 4k30 (which looks great btw). There is NO cooldown time needed at all.

Anyway, it is the best performing MILC at the market (Maybe(!) the A7S III beats it, which is a super specialized tool for video only, given the low MP count).
I just dont get it. Even if it had only the (never overheating) 4k30 mode - it would still be a beast of camera.
You have the camera, so you must surely agree that there is a very noticeable difference between the line skipped 4K mode and the 4K HQ mode. To my eyes the HQ mode best the Sony, whereas the line skipped mode is firmly behind the Sony. I would not pay this kind of money for the line skipped only mode.
As for cool down times... you did not experience the 6 hour cool down. That doesn’t mean it’s not true or that you won’t at some point. That’s the unpredictable part that I was talking about.
Are we to believe that all of these reviewers now just have an axe to grind with Canon? Or is it possible the issues are real?
For me it completely ruins the shooting experience when I’m constantly needing to take inventory of everything I do from the moment I switch on the camera. At minimum, the 4K HQ mode should work without fear of overheating. Stills mode should not lose quality if the camera has been running for sometime. The idea that my stills picture quality decreases when overheated is alien to me.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
up to 6 hours cool down? righto.. something new again... just how credible is this number one would thought?

a kettle with about 1L of water in it heated to 100C would take about 30 min to cool down at room temperature conditions. unless R5 is a double walled water flask or something..
Jep, its bullshit. There is no 6 hours cooldown necessary.
And remember, even after an overheat, you can switch right away to 4k30 which never overheats.

The problem is blown completely out of proportion. Of course 8k will overheat. Just like 4k30 overheats in many competitors fullframe DSLM cameras xD

Upvote 0