Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Those RF lenses have a switch to select what the ring on lens did(Control/Focus) from the leaked photos of lenses these new lenses dont even have that option so I guess another dive into menu for users of these lenses to select Function of control ring though now they have physical selector switch for AF/MF.
Those RF lenses have a switch to choose if the ring will be used for manual focus or for a customisable function, but not to pick between MF and AF.
Selecting between MF and AF already requires using the menu, so that switch on the body looks useful.
@Chaitanya customising the control ring function always required using the menu, and by default it is disabled.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
If it turns out to be horrible, well, just disable it and use the secondary top dial.
Agree with your post otherwise, but I don't think the R7 has a secondary top dial. Only the mode dial, the shutter button-adjacent dial ("main dial" in Canon parlance) and the rear dial around the joystick ("quick control dial"). In place of a dial there's the power switch and seemingly a couple of buttons.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Agree with your post otherwise, but I don't think the R7 has a secondary top dial. Only the mode dial, the shutter button-adjacent dial ("main dial" in Canon parlance) and the rear dial around the joystick ("quick control dial"). In place of a dial there's the power switch and seemingly a couple of buttons.
Hm, looking at it again, you might be right. The "power switch" stood out as a second top dial to me, it's in the right place, but it looks notched which does imply a power switch.

Not sure what to make of that--even the R10 has a second top dial, which is odd if it's gone on the R7. I'd like to believe they fit it in somewhere, maybe the mode dial can be customized as a top dial? Otherwise, I guess reframing my original post, people can use the lens control ring for that.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Not sure what to make of that--even the R10 has a second top dial, which is odd if it's gone on the R7.
I'd wager the R10 lacks a rear dial instead, so the second top dial is the quick control dial. Same layout as the RP, except the power switch is moved from the left shoulder to somewhere else. My guess is it takes the place of the RP's "Lock" switch.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I find it to be great placement. ...
Anyone doing events or fast passed run and gun jobs know that menu diving causes you to miss moments. I rather have as much buttons on the camera body as conveniently as possible
Especially at a position where you manipulate it accidentally? I would so at that position.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
When you want or need to go to MF in a hurry, there's nothing better than a physical button or switch. Somewhere, anywhere.
I never wanted to go to MF or back to AF "in a hurry".
MF takes accurate operation and therefore time. Esp. when you focus by wire, which I suppose is implemented in most STM lenses. And I guess RF-S mostly have STM AF.

Upvote 0
I never wanted to go to MF or back to AF "in a hurry".
Which may be why you don't see the need for a physical MF/AF button.

MF takes accurate operation and therefore time...
No it doesn't, not always. I think there are simply too many scenarios and subjects in the world across millions of shooters to make a generalization like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The R7 wheel kind of looks like it has a touch sensitive surface between the ridged perimeter and the joystick? If true, I wonder how that would be utilized.
Maybe it's a dial within a dial? So you'd have two controls with different tactile feels in the same spot. So, aperture, exposure comp, and AF joystick right under your thumb.

Upvote 0