I guess there won't be any new lenses at CES?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SnapHappy

treyconnally said:
SnapHappy said:
That is what I took away from that. Looks like there won't be anything in the way of EF-S lenses to talk about. Well I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Canon have been dragging their feet for the past few years allowing Nikon and even Sony to catch up. I've been shooting Canon since the day I started and I'm finally at a point where I like what Nikon has to offer more so than Canon... never thought that day would come.

Yeah. I shot Nikon before I shot Canon; and wanted to move to full frame. No way you could beat the price of the 5DMKII compared to the D700. Obviously I have no way of actually knowing what is down the pipeline for Canon, but Nikon really hit the ground running at CES; and they came swinging! I have WWWAAAYYY too much money invested in Canon glass now to turn back around.

Do we have the dates for Photokina?

I hear ya... I'm a hobbyist but also have invested in Canon so if I were to switch, even though Canon gear holds value quite well, I would end up losing money in the end.

I believe Photokina is in Sept, mid to late so we pretty much have the whole year to go.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Disappointed but not terribly surprised. CES is exactly what it says, a Consumer Electronics Show. It's clear from their website they are dominated by electronics. Cameras are just a small part of the show and lenses even smaller.

This is nothing like Photokina, where the emphasis is on photography and manufacturers are going head-to-head.

Not a lot of incentive for camera manufacturers to announce a major product and have to compete for attention with every television, car gizmo, appliance and audio system under the sun.

Upvote 0
I guess I feel on this "Christmas Morning" CES Opening I got a piece of coal from dear old Santa Canon.

The movie kids and the point-n-shoot kids are all happy, and I guess thats all good and well. I could have used one glimmer of hope. Maybe a mock-up 5D Mark III behind glass - dont even have to talk specs - just some sort of promise. And new glass of course. A 24-70 II on the end of it would have sent the Canon DSLR world spinning. It did not even have to work; the mystery would have been enough.

Note to Canon - I am not beyond the point-of-no-return with my lens investment. So while this life-long Canon guy (from the 1970's film days of F1's) finds the idea of Nikon repulsive, I am also no stranger to change and lost opportunity. Floods and Tsunami's aside, waiting 9 months to Photokina for a maybe holiday release... that is quite concerning. Is Canon losing the battle? Are they the next Kodak? (of course not). But I am watchful if Nikon delivers a D800 in the next month as speculated with no response.

Well, I know now I got open budget for essential lenses and maybe I can pick up a new body when my bonus check comes in October.

Upvote 0
Even so I still have hope the canon might bring out new lens on the later days of the show to steal the thunder... Though I know that is just wishful thinking.

And why show lens at CES? It woudl still get more media attention then just doing their own announcement.

I'm still hoping for some kind of lens announcement because it is an olympic year.

Upvote 0
S

SnapHappy

squarebox said:
I'm wondering if they were planning on announcing something at CES hence why the rebates ended on Jan 7. but then changed it to the CP+ show and then extended the rebates for that reason.

It's a nice thought but who really knows with Canon. They are a lot like Apple in the sense they do what they want, when they want to do it, and don't care what anyone does or thinks in the mean time.

Don't mistake my posting here as Canon bashing. I am thrilled with their products and am a Canon shooter. We are just at a point where a lot of other companies have caught up. As a Canon fan I want to see them do the same, release products their users actually want. Of course, I am no pro and only a hobbyist so I am speaking in terms of their EF-S gear... which is lacking compaired to Nikon and Sony.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.