New Rebel DSLR Coming for CES in January [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>The next DSLR from Canon will apparently be a Rebel (or two) for CES in January of 2017. Canon generally announces consumer DSLRs and PowerShot cameras for the show in Las Vegas.</p>
<p>The source told us that there is some talk internally about the camera(s) coming with a new type of viewfinder for a Canon DSLR.</p>
<p>We don’t know if the Rebel T6 series is being replaces, or if the Rebel SL1 is going to finally see a direct replacement.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Maximilian said:
Canon Rumors said:
... or if the Rebel SL1 is going to finally see a direct replacement.
I really hope for this. I like the form factor very much.

I'd love to see an upscaled (in quality, not size) SL1. 80D sensor and autofocus, along with touchscreen and wireless, would be a perfect small camera for hiking, etc.

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
unfocused said:
Maximilian said:
Canon Rumors said:

I'd love to see an upscaled (in quality, not size) SL1. 80D sensor and autofocus, along with touchscreen and wireless, would be a perfect small camera for hiking, etc.

The SL1 already has the touchscreen function. I think more AF points, DPAF, and a modest increase in MP would be nice. I guess wireless would be nice, especially if you're on the road. The version 1 is already a very decent camera.

Upvote 0
I also expect a SL2, as the T6/s is way to new. I also suppose it won't have 4K, as this will most probably be reserved for the 7D Mark III. I once claimed that the 7D Mark II will get a 4K firmware update to match the Nikon D500, as it won't be replaced for a further few years. But Canon has not announced anything, so I might be wrong.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
<p>The next DSLR from Canon will apparently be a Rebel (or two) for CES in January of 2017. Canon generally announces consumer DSLRs and PowerShot cameras for the show in Las Vegas.</p>
<p>The source told us that there is some talk internally about the camera(s) coming with a new type of viewfinder for a Canon DSLR.</p>
<p>We don’t know if the Rebel T6 series is being replaces, or if the Rebel SL1 is going to finally see a direct replacement.</p>
a new type of viewfinder maybe its the evf ovf in one thing

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
cellomaster27 said:
unfocused said:
Maximilian said:
Canon Rumors said:

The SL1 already has the touchscreen function. I think more AF points, DPAF, and a modest increase in MP would be nice. I guess wireless would be nice, especially if you're on the road. The version 1 is already a very decent camera.
But, PLEASE, leave all the battery draining stuff away, eg. GPS, WiFi, etc. Or... make it possible to turn it off 100% w/o any standby or leakage current.
I don't believe Canon would change the battery - even if they could.
And right now its capacity is small enough. And a bigger one would kill the form factor.

Upvote 0
fon-foto said:
Definitely Winter coat pocketable, pancake 24mm + 50mm STM work well too - those 2 lenses are all I ever have on my 100D!

A perfect combo of 100D and lenses!

The 18-55 kit lens is practically weightless but feels bulky on it. Canon really should have a kit option of the SL1/100D with the 24mm STM. Then just add the 50. A general-purpose lens and a portrait lens on the tiniest DSLR body and that's it!

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
mitchel2002 said:
Canon Rumors said:
a new type of viewfinder maybe its the evf ovf in one thing

would be larger than a normal pentamirror and more expensive. something that doesn't happen on the rebels.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Maximilian said:
But, PLEASE, leave all the battery draining stuff away, eg. GPS, WiFi, etc. Or... make it possible to turn it off 100% w/o any standby or leakage current.
And right now its capacity is small enough. And a bigger one would kill the form factor.

speak for yourself. frankly having the BLE and wifi the way it is on the M5 as an example for GPS tagging,etc is a nice feature and low power usage.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
rrcphoto said:
Maximilian said:

speak for yourself. ...
I thought, I did. (see bold) ::)
And I normally do - always - because I am not you and I am not elected by you. ::)

Every feature is nice, as long as you can easily switch its energy consumption 100% off.
I don't know, how well this works with the M5 but from some posts here I read it is not that easy with the 5D4.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Maximilian said:
rrcphoto said:
Maximilian said:

speak for yourself. ...
And I normally do - always - because I am not you and I am not elected by you. ::)

Every feature is nice, as long as you can easily switch its energy consumption 100% off.
I don't know, how well this works with the M5 but from some posts here I read it is not that easy with the 5D4.

going to a "warm" off is pretty normal in this day and age of electronics.

has nothing to do with gps,wifi etc - but usually more to do with providing quick power on.

it's always "easy" to go 100% off. remove the flipping battery. Not to mention that lithium ION will discharge anyways depending upon ambient air temperature.

I heard some cry that their battery drained 50% after a few weeks. my god, the horror.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
rrcphoto said:
Maximilian said:
rrcphoto said:
Maximilian said:

speak for yourself. ...

going to a "warm" off is pretty normal in this day and age of electronics.

has nothing to do with gps,wifi etc - but usually more to do with providing quick power on.

it's always "easy" to go 100% off. remove the flipping battery. Not to mention that lithium ION will discharge anyways depending upon ambient air temperature.

I heard some cry that their battery drained 50% after a few weeks. my god, the horror.
I don't talk about standby drain, although this is anoying, too.
I talk about switching the camera on and beeing able to shoot 400 pics with one battery instead of 200, okay?

How can you shoot pictures without the battery? ::)
My father can, because he has an old FTb, but funnily that one also had no WiFi and no GPS ::)

I think I said all about my expectations of battery drain and as I know how to design electrical circuits I know that this is possible without any further effort. But engineers get lazy these days.

If you love to take a bunch of spare batteries with you, that's your choice. I say that it can be avoided and that I want Canon to design cameras this way, because they can. If it was really difficult, then I wouldn't say that.

Upvote 0