Next L Lens From Canon Will be a Prime [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that the next L lens from Canon will be a prime and it will be coming in late summer/early fall of this year. While the source wasn’t sure what lens was coming for sure, they did let us know that prototypes for a replacement of the 35L were out there. This has been a long rumoured lens for replacement, with multiple patents for the optical formula throughout the years.</p>
<p>For the moment, lens production capacity is what will dictate when new lenses are announced. The brand new EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II has been out of stock around the globe at major retailers for a long while now, so I’m sure that has priority for Canon. As well as the brand new and highly touted EF 11-24mm f/4L.</p>
<p>The only other primes I’ve had multiple discussions about are replacements for the EF 200 f/2L IS and EF 800 f/5.6L IS. Just like the 35L however, those mentions have been around for years. Interestingly, there hasn’t been talk of new TS-E lenses in a long time.</p>
<p>Outside of that, we’re still waiting on a new non L 50mm lens as well as a non L/non DO 70-300 replacement.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
<div id="adkengage_ssp_div"></div>
<script
    type="text/javascript"
    src="http://adkengage.com/pshandler.js?aid=11563&v=Rzv9QQ%2BeQKSVnAaEOwTXfA%3D%3D&dpid=6638&ru=http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-admin/post.php"
>
</script>

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014
Canon Rumors said:
For the moment, lens production capacity is what will dictate when new lenses are announced. The brand new EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II has been out of stock around the globe at major retailers for a long while now, so I’m sure that has priority for Canon. As well as the brand new and highly touted EF 11-24mm f/4L.
Actually new batch can be seen in Poland since yesterday. I've had some notifications set up at few major shops and got news from all of them that they have in stock that lens. I just got back with one brand new lens :).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
As this is not a 50mm IS refresh rumor (which will undoubtedly not be an L lens), if there was a new L lens on offer, I'd guess the one most in need of a refresh would be:

35mm f/1.4L - 17 years old
135mm f/2L - 19 years old

Those aren't the oldest L primes, but they are a strong combination of old and in high demand. My money would be on one of those.

- A

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Canon Rumors said:
For the moment, lens production capacity is what will dictate when new lenses are announced. The brand new EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II has been out of stock around the globe at major retailers for a long while now, so I’m sure that has priority for Canon. As well as the brand new and highly touted EF 11-24mm f/4L.

Stock available at some major retailers here in the Netherlands
Just bought mine 2 weeks ago. Will give it a birdingtest next week

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
ahsanford said:
As this is not a 50mm IS refresh rumor (which will undoubtedly not be an L lens), if there was a new L lens on offer, I'd guess the one most in need of a refresh would be:

Those aren't the oldest L primes, but they are a strong combination of old and in high demand. My money would be on one of those.

- A

Is the 135mm in need of an update? I haven't heard anything put praise for that lens.

Upvote 0
My wishes for new primes:

- No.1 on my wish list is a new high quality 50mm. It could be a EF 50/1,2L II or a EF 50/1,4L, the important think is much better sharpness on f1,4 - f2 than Canons current 50mm lenses. I would even be satisfied with a EF 50/1,8 IS as long as it is sharp also wide open. What I really dream about is a lens with near the same quality as the Zeiss Otus 50/1,4 but with autofocus and a bit lower price. But I could pay more than the price of the current 50/1,2L as long as the IQ is good.

- EF 200/2 DO IS. By using the improved DO technology the weight can be reduced from 2,5kg to 1,5kg compared to the current 200/2L IS.

- EF 300/4L DO IS (an answer to Nikons new compact 300/4 VR).

- EF 20/1,8 (to replace the 23 years old 20/2,8).

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
ahsanford said:

- A

Is the 135mm in need of an update? I haven't heard anything put praise for that lens.

Indeed I rented it once and it's a really nice lens. Just a little too specialized for me. Maybe for once they want to try and announce it before Sigma does? Given the quality of the Canon 70-200 IS ii, the main purposes for that lens is super low light or sports. 35 or 50 is more standard and I would think more in need (especially the 50)

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
If they are attempting to replace the 50mm f/1.2, why not go all the way and introduce a new f/1.0 or f/0.95 (with optimal sharpness and focusing capabilities, of course)? It's time for Canon to introduce another revolution, not just an evolution. They've certainly proven that they can do this on the wide end (ie 11-24), but it would be great to see this innovation in the form of a new extreme-aperture lens.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Luds34 said:
ahsanford said:

- A

Crudely, there are three camps with the 135L:

• The lens is stellar and does not need modifying.
  • The glass is fine but IS would be a great add.
  • Sony has a 135 f/1.8 and we don't. Also: Waaaaaah. (My rebuttal? Our autofocus works.)

And deep down, as legendary as lenses like the 135L and 200 F/2L IS have been, old is old: there's always room to improve resolution for higher resolving sensors, reduce flare, reduce distortion, reduce chromatic aberration, reduce weight, improve weathersealing, offer or improve the IS, etc.

The bigger question is whether those improvements are worth putting off my future non-L 50mm f/nooneknows IS USM. And the answer is no. Gimme my 50, dammit.

- A

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
It would be nice to have primes with medium focal legth, fast autofocus and good IS.
* 2.8/24 IS USM (done)
* 2.8/28 IS USM (done)
* 2.0/35 IS USM (done)

* 2.0/50 IS USM
* 2.0/85 IS USM
* 2.8/100 Macro IS USM (done)
* 2.0/135 IS USM
* 3.5/180 Macro IS USM
* 2.8/200 IS USM

Canon clearly worked through this, but wich of the remaining will be next? The fast primes are made by Zeiss.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
Respinder said:
If they are attempting to replace the 50mm f/1.2, why not go all the way and introduce a new f/1.0 or f/0.95 (with optimal sharpness and focusing capabilities, of course)? It's time for Canon to introduce another revolution, not just an evolution. They've certainly proven that they can do this on the wide end (ie 11-24), but it would be great to see this innovation in the form of a new extreme-aperture lens.

The reason the 50mm f/1.2L is f/1.2 is because by making it f/1.2 Canon was able to significantly increase sharpness and focusing capabilities and reduces artifacts over the 50mm f/1.0. 50mm f/1.0 requires a massive amount of glass to move around and there is not much way to get around that as it is physics. There is no free lunch with lenses where you can have the widest aperture, fastest focusing speed, best sharpness, and least artifacts - everything is a tradeoff.

Personally I would like to see an 85mm f/1.4L, basically redo the 85mm f/1.2L II with the improvements they made in the 50mm f/1.2. It would be nice to have an 85L that focuses as fast as the 50L f/1.2.

Upvote 0