Rumors of a Canon EOS R5c and EOS R5s [CR1]

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
In full honesty, I purchased the R6 to handle all of the photography demands that my video making process requires. In that aspect it has done really, really well. I did not buy the R5 as it seemed to just not really be a capable video shooting camera, and if this rumor is at all true, it would make sense for me to get an R5 VIDEO version of the camera. Yet, here we are again having to look at the prospect of cost, and that is going to be an issue if they do release a video version, what is the cost going to be with the new Cine line coming out?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I also don't see anything being labeled a 5-series without weather sealing. The only way to keep the heat down is to get the heat out. The only way to get the heat out is by venting (i.e. no weather sealing) or externally exposed heat sinks (maybe anodized red with big "do not touch" labels on them?). Internal heat sinks will not get the heat out of the body.

Canon does have an patent on an adaptor that circulates air and yet keeps the body sealed. The use of that adaptor calls for a body that a heat pipe to move the heat to where the adaptor takes the heat. Perhaps, that is what is meant by heat sink in this rumor.

Upvote 0
Canon does have an patent on an adaptor that circulates air and yet keeps the body sealed. The use of that adaptor calls for a body that a heat pipe to move the heat to where the adaptor takes the heat. Perhaps, that is what is meant by heat sink in this rumor.

But, if you extend that distance on the focal plane (by inserting an adapter between the back of the lens and the sensor), pretty sure you can't use an RF lens -- unless the adaptor is also introducing another glass element to change the focal point. What is that going to do to the image quality?

Also, I don't think that design can be sealed -- as soon as you have vents there will be risk of water / dust ingress. The last place I want dust ingress is anywhere near my lens and sensor. This shows air being sucked in from the bottom of the adapter and ejected out the top.

1600706286329.png

I am pretty sure that utility patent is to keep others from developing anything like that as a "solution" and don't think they plan on bringing anything like that to market.

If they do, it would likely be for the EOS Ra -- where you likely are strapping the camera on the back of a telescope (not an RF lens) and where getting the sensor as cool as possible is important for reducing noise in the images.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2015
Why 30? The 1 series have 20. 20 is plenty if you know what you are doing
1Ds II was 16 and actually 16 is more than enough if you really know what your are doing.
hmm... Though the original 5D was 13 and come to think about it. Can you actually do something with 16 that you can't do with 13?
I say 13 is plenty.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
A video focused version would make sense. I guess would be the hybrid of choice for most shooters on the Canon system. I wonder if it will include a fan?
Good point - Canon's bitten the bullet and going after Sony to establish it self as No 1 FF Mirrorless + system along with Cinema line. Although wouldn't want Canon to spread itself too thin (by doing too many models) and potentially get into financial losses / difficulties - especially in a declining camera and video market.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon should have just done everything right the first time. Adding another camera to the R line to combat the overheating just makes you lose more faith with consumers. I don't want to have to buy a whole new camera just because Canon didn't get it right the first time
That is simply so naive it beggars belief, one camera cannot possibly be optimized for all users needs, some people need MP, some don't. Some people, very vocal ones, need good clean long form video with excellent high iso performance. You can't make a sensor optimized for both and in-between those extremes are all kinds of people who value things like price, size, weight etc etc over either MP or video, why should those purchasers be forced into choices not necessary?

Canon did get the R5 right, it is blowing away all expectations for every photographer who has used it, it breaks new ground for high quality video in the form factor too, but for those needing long form video it has technological limitations and compromises required of all cameras that size with that level of weatherproofing. But the R5 doesn't suit every user, neither should it.

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
Is there any possibility that this alleged R5 Video is just information on the next firmware? Seems like it would make more sense to give the R5 added capabilities rather than create a camera that out classes it in video. Please note: I have no evidence or peer reviewed clinical trials to back up my statement...all of it is crazy talk.

Upvote 0
But, if you extend that distance on the focal plane (by inserting an adapter between the back of the lens and the sensor), pretty sure you can't use an RF lens -- unless the adaptor is also introducing another glass element to change the focal point. What is that going to do to the image quality?

Also, I don't think that design can be sealed -- as soon as you have vents there will be risk of water / dust ingress. The last place I want dust ingress is anywhere near my lens and sensor. This shows air being sucked in from the bottom of the adapter and ejected out the top.

View attachment 192931

I am pretty sure that utility patent is to keep others from developing anything like that as a "solution" and don't think they plan on bringing anything like that to market.

If they do, it would likely be for the EOS Ra -- where you likely are strapping the camera on the back of a telescope (not an RF lens) and where getting the sensor as cool as possible is important for reducing noise in the images.
Yes, the adaptor will require the use of EF lenses. Other than that it would be a great design.

As I said, the adaptor keeps the body sealed. I see no reason to expect the adaptor to leak. Perhaps you can elaborate?

The adaptor getting dust in the air chamber can't be an issue either, can it?

Furthermore, as the user has to attach the adaptor in order to use it, user safety issues are mitigated as a user has to take positive action in order to use the adaptor.

Upvote 0

SilverBox

I'm not new here
CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
The reason I am sceptical about this is the CanonWatch report contains the alternative designation of 3 instead of 5. Anyone familiar with rumours about Canon cameras for the last 12 years or so is familiar with the fabled 3 series of cameras that would fit between the 1D cameras and the 5D line. The thing is they never materialised. Maybe Canon was considering it, but when they bought out the 5Ds line, they still kept the 5. Which is what made me think the whole mythical 3 series was a figment of wishful thinking, and not based on anything Canon was ever really considering. This is what makes me sceptical about any mention of 3. Yes, Canon could slot in another line of camera, but that isn't what they actually did with the 5D line. What actually happened, is that Canon upped the specification of the 5D line, so they became tougher, gained AF systems close to the 1D line, rather than Canon creating a whole new line of cameras. The original 5D was prosumer type camera, and even the 5D mkII didn't have a top flight AF system. This is what the original 3 rumour was about, a full professional FF, none 1D camera. But the 5D mkIII and mkIV were that camera, not a 3.
I have an Eos 3 I picked up used on a lark and I can say its AF performance rivals the current 1D bodies

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I don't know - this doesn't smell right to me. The R5 high resolution I can believe (I guess?) but the R5 video seems to make less sense to me. Wouldn't a half resolution R5 with R5 sensor tech just be an R6 with a heat sink? And maybe I'm missing something (very possible), but I'm not seeing why a 2.8k supersampling in super35 would be useful - is that just to get high quality 1080?
I think it's for "fake" 4K like in ALEXA Mini.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
1Ds II was 16 and actually 16 is more than enough if you really know what your are doing.
hmm... Though the original 5D was 13 and come to think about it. Can you actually do something with 16 that you can't do with 13?
I say 13 is plenty.
I shot with my 1D for years, it was 4.1MP. Joe McNally managed to convince National Geographic to embrace digital with big prints from a 4MP Nikon. But as always some things suit some users completely opposite things are needed by others.

What I am happy to say at this point in my life is that what is good enough for me is not necessarily good enough for somebody else and that doesn't mean their output is 'better' than mine. I sometimes go on outings with a camera club. It never ceases to amaze me that you can have 20 photographers in the same place at the same time and end up with more than 20 completely different interpretations of the location, and never once on reviewing them have I thought 'hmm that image needed more MP or a better lens', content is king, technique and equipment are distant cousins.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I wouldn't hold any credence to what Canon Watch is reporting. A heat sink doesn't do a darn thing without a fan or dissipation. Period. And Canon knows that. Most everyone else in electronics does also. So the crap about heat sink is pretty much BS. Without a vent, space, or fan, it would pretty much be useless. Besides there's already a thin heatsink inside the tightly sealed R5 body, discovered during a recent teardown. Very little it does without dissipation of fast rising internal temperatures. Reach inside your PC and disconnect the fan and see how much that heat sink will do on its own when you start processing any video. Smartphones have heat sinks, and gamers still have to use external peltier smarphone radiator coolers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0