Three new stacked sensor cameras coming from Canon [CR2]

Apr 25, 2011
Well, a few things that I remember. I didn't like the grip at all, I never felt relaxed in the wrist holding it. I didn't like the button placements around the joystick. I didn't like how close the joystick was to the viewfinder. I found some of the buttons useless and not needed. The scroll wheel was too low..... so that's a few things.... None of this is wrong, it just didn't work for me.

A caveat that may matter.... I have large hands...
That's why I only use my R5 with the battery grip attached.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Well, a few things that I remember. I didn't like the grip at all, I never felt relaxed in the wrist holding it. I didn't like the button placements around the joystick. I didn't like how close the joystick was to the viewfinder. I found some of the buttons useless and not needed. The scroll wheel was too low..... so that's a few things.... None of this is wrong, it just didn't work for me.

A caveat that may matter.... I have large hands... No issue palming a size 7 basketball sort of thing.
Many people believe that small cameras are better. I don't. I tend to get cramps holding these tiny little toys for a longer period of time. Gripped bodies are a solution somehow, but controls are still too densely placed, due to lack of space. Additionally, I'm a left eye shooter...

Upvote 0
Hmm R5 Mark II, R1, and....R7 Mark II? R6 Mark III?
By the end of 2024, the R6 Mark II will be two years old, so I think that's a possibility too.

About ergonomics...I hope they don't change a thing on the R6/R6 Mark II. To me, these cameras have perfect handling, very similar to that of the 80D, that I also had in the past and loved, but they're even better.

The mode dial on the R5 (and R) never pleased me, but that's my only complaint for the R5.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Too often we get a rumored piece of information about one camera that is mistakenly attributed to another camera. R1 will be stacked. Any others....maybe...I'll believe it when I see it. The cost of developing 3 separate stacked sensors just doesn't seem likely. Will they use the same sensor in the R1 and the R5 II? That seems like the only cost effective scenario, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I would love the 3rd one to be a top shelf crop body with atleast 32mp! And don't screw it up like the r7! Keep the body the same as the r5 which is perfect! This would be every wildlife shooters dream in the canon rf lineup i daresay! Please!!!!!!!
Canon has been experimenting and refining the top end crop sensor slot for nearly 15 years and seems to now have settled on a top model that comes close, but still falls below the 5 series in features. While many users are nostalgic for the "mini 1D" feature set of the 7DII, I'm not optimistic that Canon sees a market for such a high-end, feature-rich body. The R7 is a very nice second body for serious bird photographers who have the occasional need/desire for a crop body, but I would be surprised in Canon sees a demand to move it significantly up market or feels any need to replace it soon.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will be.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I've been on this forum for many years following Canon's camera development. With every new feature or technology we get people who claim that this feature or that one is too costly to be implemented in the next lower tier body. And yet, Canon consistently does trickle down the features and technology to lower tier bodies.

So, when I read that adding a stacked sensor to the R5 or other bodies would be too expensive, I have to wonder what people base that assertion on. Obviously no one on this forum has even the vaguest idea of the cost of adding a stacked sensor to the R5 or other bodies.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
In the months prior to the release of the R3, there were stacked sensor patents reported here. At least one of them seemed to be targeted to lowering the costs of manufacture. But the machines to make actual production involving these patents are not something one orders on Amazon and expects to show up in two or three days.

While Canon, and Nikon, too, are both involved in making the lithography machines needed in the manufacture of sophisticated computer chips and sensors, ASML rules this world. But Canon has been working also on an alternate process which appears to be a very glorified version of inkjet printing. It would offer a means of creating the extremely power efficient small chips at lower cost and perhaps small production runs than the huge and very, very expensive and long order fulfillment wait times of ASML. If Canon has made a breakthrough here it may make multiple sensor production practical and at a lower price.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Well, I think ergonomics are a very personal thing. I could never get used to the R5 ergonomics and bailed on the camera after about 18 months. Nothing against its capabilities, I just didn't like using it.

I don't believe Canon has nailed the ergonomics on the EOS R series yet, and that we'll see further evolution. I do miss that about their DSLRs.
The R3's ergonomics is pretty good. For a full-sized body with built-in vertical grip it is a dream to hold for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Have you tried the R3.
I happen to believe it is ergomically perfect.
I agree 100%. It is a dream to hold. I hold one all day almost every day and it is so nice. It is much better than the 1DxII. That body was heavy and very wide. Made my hands hurt after a full day of shooting.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
That is certainly Nikon's strategy.
However, Canon has shown the ability to have decent electronic shutter speed without using a stacked sensor.
The R8 has it and costs the same as the R7.
I just don't see Canon not using stacked sensors moving forward. They bring a lot to the table.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
In the months prior to the release of the R3, there were stacked sensor patents reported here. At least one of them seemed to be targeted to lowering the costs of manufacture. But the machines to make actual production involving these patents are not something one orders on Amazon and expects to show up in two or three days.

While Canon, and Nikon, too, are both involved in making the lithography machines needed in the manufacture of sophisticated computer chips and sensors, ASML rules this world. But Canon has been working also on an alternate process which appears to be a very glorified version of inkjet printing. It would offer a means of creating the extremely power efficient small chips at lower cost and perhaps small production runs than the huge and very, very expensive and long order fulfillment wait times of ASML. If Canon has made a breakthrough here it may make multiple sensor production practical and at a lower price.

ASML might rule the world but sensors don't need the top of the range and very expensive manufacturing technology it offers.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I just don't see Canon not using stacked sensors moving forward. They bring a lot to the table.
If they believe a traditional sensor will not impact sales, then why not use a cheaper sensor? That simply means more profit.

People complained that the R6II sensor was FSI not BS…ignoring the fact that the performance difference is not significant for a FF sensor, because ‘Sony is using BSI’.

Stacked sensors bring a faster readout, which is useful for shooting fast-moving subjects. Honestly, the readout speed of the R6II/R8 sensor is quite fast as is (AFAIK, it’s the fastest FSI/BSI FF sensor on the market with an <15 ms readout), and the R5 is only slightly slower.

Upvote 0
ASML might rule the world but sensors don't need the top of the range and very expensive manufacturing technology it offers.
Perhaps, but the onboard processing, the stack, might benefit as might the camera cpu. Semiseriously, wonder why some camera manufacturer has not approached Apple to by the processor for the previous year's iPhone. Just a couple of day's output of that processor line. Those suckers have some serious processing power and do not draw that much battery power.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Canon has been experimenting and refining the top end crop sensor slot for nearly 15 years and seems to now have settled on a top model that comes close, but still falls below the 5 series in features. While many users are nostalgic for the "mini 1D" feature set of the 7DII, I'm not optimistic that Canon sees a market for such a high-end, feature-rich body. The R7 is a very nice second body for serious bird photographers who have the occasional need/desire for a crop body, but I would be surprised in Canon sees a demand to move it significantly up market or feels any need to replace it soon.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will be.

I got the R7....and honestly I leave it at home most of the time. The mirror slap on that thing kept setting off earthquake sensors in nearby counties. In all seriousness, I was not that impressed, I didn't think the IQ was any better than my 7Dii, and the subject tracking is obviously nice, but WAY short of the R5s, in my opinion. It kept losing birds as soon as they were in even vaguely moderate foliage or brush. No problem like that on the R5. I probably should've waited to buy the R7, but I got caught up hoping for something similar to the 7Dii, but with animal-eye focus, etc. I don't even feel like the ISO performance is that much better. Only time I bring the R7 now is when I may be shooting things further out in the distance and want that extra reach.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SilverBox

I'm not new here
CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
I've had it in my hands, but I have never done any work with one.
I’ve been using canon cameras professionally for years, and I am currently using the R3 for work. It definitely has the best ergonomics of all the modern R bodies and comes closest to the 1Dx/5D feel. The fact that you can reprogram almost all the buttons goes a long way as well, totally customizable.

I will be really torn on an R5ii vs R1 purchase next year for clients that need big files, but I’m leaning towards the R1 unless there’s some updates to the R5 handling.

Tl;Dr I agree

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2019
I’ve been using canon cameras professionally for years, and I am currently using the R3 for work. It definitely has the best ergonomics of all the modern R bodies and comes closest to the 1Dx/5D feel. The fact that you can reprogram almost all the buttons goes a long way as well, totally customizable.

I will be really torn on an R5ii vs R1 purchase next year for clients that need big files, but I’m leaning towards the R1 unless there’s some updates to the R5 handling.

Tl;Dr I agree
The R3 has the best ergonomics of any MILC including the Z9 and A1. Obviously, ergonomics are very subjective and though I appreciate the buttons for example on the Sony, overall the R3 is much more comfortable to use in my hands. There are always tradeoffs in terms of size, function, etc. and I am always torn between the convenience of a smaller body for travel/hiking versus the loss of comfort and features. In terms of the sensors, I'm glad to see that Canon is moving albeit slowly with the pack for BSI. I suspect that it will be used in the release of the R1, an R3II, and perhaps a R5II though that remains to be seen.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I got the R7....and honestly I leave it at home most of the time. The mirror slap on that thing kept setting off earthquake sensors in nearby counties. In all seriousness, I was not that impressed, I didn't think the IQ was any better than my 7Dii, and the subject tracking is obviously nice, but WAY short of the R5s, in my opinion. It kept losing birds as soon as they were in even vaguely moderate foliage or brush. No problem like that on the R5. I probably should've waited to buy the R7, but I got caught up hoping for something similar to the 7Dii, but with animal-eye focus, etc. I don't even feel like the ISO performance is that much better. Only time I bring the R7 now is when I may be shooting things further out in the distance and want that extra reach.
Mirror slap on the R7? I can put my hand on my heart and swear that my R7 has never had any mirror slap whatsoever.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0