UPDATED: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I bought a 70D when I thought I would be doing more video. (Fortunately for me, the demand for stills work has been so great that I haven't really needed to concentrate on video) I did shoot enough video on the 70D to know it is very serviceable and in my opinion much more suited to video than either the 5D or 7D.

So, I was very interested in seeing what the 80D would offer. I thought Canon might stun everyone by offering 4K, but didn't expect it. I tend to believe the more technically-minded persons on this forum who say that offering quality 4K on a DSLR is a lot harder than most armchair experts think.

Anyway, I think this new 80D is a nice upgrade for both stills and video. Certainly the addition of a headphone jack was overdue and will greatly increase the usability of the camera for video. I notice that the new 18-135 USM lens continues to offer the "dynamic IS" that was included in the 18-135mm STM lens. This is an often overlooked feature that definitely helps shoot more stable video at the wider end. Combined with the new zoom dock, the lens and camera should be a great combination for people who need to produce quality video on a budget.

People on this forum tend to forget that the vast majority of video being shot today is published online, where 4K is just not needed. (4K would be very useful for editing as it makes cropping, zoom effects and stabilization in post-production much easier, but for the final product, it's not really needed in most cases).

It appears the DSLR future (at least in Canon's eyes) is in specialization. The 80D is a great video DSLR that will also shoot excellent stills, the 7DII is a pro-level sports and bird stills camera that can shoot good video. The 5DIII is a great all-around general purpose, affordable workhorse that excels at events and weddings. The 1DX II, is a photojournalist and sports photographer oriented camera that can do everything, including 4K video. The 6D is an affordable introduction to full-frame for portrait and landscape photographers and the Rebel series offers plenty of choices for those who must select a camera by price point.

All-in-all this seems like a smart strategy for Canon.

Upvote 0
JohanCruyff said:
Interesting camera but, as a 70D owner, I think I can wait (at least) for the 90D.
How many of us 70Ders will upgrade?

If it reviews as well as it specs, I'll upgrade from my 70D. As a bird shooter with the Canon 100-400 II, I'd love the f/8 AF with a 1.4TC. But I want the vari-angle screen as well for astro, down low shots, and some video.

Upvote 0
crashpc said:
Refurb7 said:
Tiderace said:
Major complaint about Canon from a 20 year professional loyal user who is leaving! Deliberate handicapping of cameras across the line. That is right on purpose. We are sick of it. Done. Over and out. Gone. Horse is out of the barn, left.

!. Top of the line at the time 5D Mark iii did not even have clean HDMI out at first, finally did, but even then NO audio for god sake! It is 8 bit 422 where GH4 is 10 bit and 4K

2. 70D has NO HDMI out because it it crippled ON PURPOSE. Only alternative is Raw via firmware heist. This is just awful. It forces you to use highly compressed video which makes color grading extremely difficult and exposure modification iffy. It is wrong, wrong.

3. No 4K even on there Cinema line until you get to 15000 dollars. What the heck is going on here. Yes they have one alternative now but it is a crazy mix of a camera video thingy for media web journalists supposedly and has a fixed lens so that is a loser right out of the gate.

OMG I don't hate Canon, we use to love them. We have giant bucks tied up with them. But Sony thank you Sony how will allow us to use all our glass and sell our cameras and bye bye Cannon. That is right gone.

So good luck Canon Rumors.

"Canon is crippling their cameras to protect higher end models"

This nonsense about "crippling" goes round and round on the Internet. So-called crippling is called building for a price, and every business does it, including photographers.

Photographers show amazing hypocrisy here. Whether your clients pay you $500, $1000, $2500, $5000 or $10000, do they get the exact same service/products? Of course they don't. So you are "crippling" your cheaper services/products on purpose to "protect" your more expensive services/products. You don't give away the store. But when you give less for less money, you don't call it "crippling". You call it good business.

So go to Sony and put up with their ergonomics, menus, flash, lens system, battery life, repair service (actually 3d party), etc. Of course, Sony may give you some extra feature. They absolutely should — to make up for their other deficiencies. But they don't give away the store either. They give something extra, but you'll pay with other compromises.

Not valid. There are many features to enable "just like that" without more expensive HW.

OK, let's see. A photographer does a family portrait session. Uploads it to an online gallery with a shopping cart feature. Clients can purchase individual prints in different sizes, the bigger ones costing more money. Now the photographer could — "just like that" — set up the gallery with free downloading of individual digital files, or the complete set of digital files, in low-res, medium-res, or high-res. It's just a checkbox on the set-up page of the online gallery. So, you're saying, because the photographer can do that "just like that" he should DO IT "just like that" — basically give away the store. This is what professional photographers do? There's no difference in price between getting an individual 4x6" print and the whole portrait session as high-res digital files?

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
However this seems like a camera that is geared heavily towards video yet it lacks the very basic 4k video that even most cell phones can do these days. I don't understand the logic here. Who would buy a such an expensive video camera that can't even handle basic resolutions?

You're right, just stick with your cell phone. They take great stills, too.

More and more people are. Even some wedding photographers are switching over to cell phones now.

Exactly. So leave this dump behind and head on over to iPhoneRumors.com. When you deliver your wedding stills and 4K video shot with a smartphone to the bride and she punches you in the face then sues for damages, don't blame us.

Have a nice life!

I'm sorry you are so angry but I am simply telling you what the trend is and what is starting to happen:

http://blog.kennykim.com/2012/05/iphone-wedding-photography-101.html
https://fstoppers.com/wedding/entire-wedding-shot-iphone-and-processed-using-instagram-5286
http://www.boredpanda.com/iphone-wedding-photography-sephi-bergerson-india/

I'm sure there are more, but no longer do you need an outdated crippled camera system that uses tech from 10 years ago, when cell phones have better options available. I have no idea why canon is choosing to cripple their new camera, but as long as they continue to do so the trend will continue, with cell phones increasingly replacing DSLR's.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
"Just to be clear, I was not the lead photographer for this wedding. Anyone interested in having iPhone photography for your wedding day, should still hire a main professional first. This is a great addition/compliment to your wedding day experience, but should not replace the main photographer – at least for now)"

“Daytime pictures were fantastic, but the night still remained a bit tricky”

And various other comments making it clear this is more an alternative or project to be 'different' rather than a replacement.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
nightscape123 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
However this seems like a camera that is geared heavily towards video yet it lacks the very basic 4k video that even most cell phones can do these days. I don't understand the logic here. Who would buy a such an expensive video camera that can't even handle basic resolutions?

More and more people are. Even some wedding photographers are switching over to cell phones now.

Exactly. So leave this dump behind and head on over to iPhoneRumors.com. When you deliver your wedding stills and 4K video shot with a smartphone to the bride and she punches you in the face then sues for damages, don't blame us.

Have a nice life!

I'm sorry you are so angry but I am simply telling you what the trend is and what is starting to happen:

https://fstoppers.com/wedding/entire-wedding-shot-iphone-and-processed-using-instagram-5286

I'm sure there are more, but no longer do you need an outdated crippled camera system that uses tech from 10 years ago, when cell phones have better options available. I have no idea why canon is choosing to cripple their new camera, but as long as they continue to do so the trend will continue, with cell phones increasingly replacing DSLR's.

If the quality of these images makes you happy, then all power to you. When I was a kid, people shot their families' weddings with Instamatics and were satisfied with the results. I for one would not use a phone if I had the option to use a big honkin' DSLR with a great lens.

Upvote 0
Re: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

rrcphoto said:
Tugela said:
Consider this graphic:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Infographics-2015-1920_1080-700x394.jpg

In particular, the part showing the MILC bubble increasing on a yearly basis against the DSLR bubble. That is where the future is going. The really high end DSLRs are probably keeping their market share, but the low end ones are not. Those consumers are slowly seeping off into the MILC market.
except it doesn't take into account Sony going from 11% DSLR markethshare in 2013 to like .. almost 0% marketshare.

The DSLR market has shrunk a lot more than 11% since 2013. It dropped 9% in 2015 alone. Even if the entire Sony DSLR market evaporated, Canikon lost even more.

MILC sales on the other hand are slowly increasing at the same time DSLRs are tanking.

Percentage of MILC sales normalized against DSLRs:
2013: 23.1%
2014: 30.1%
2015: 34.4%

See a trend? This is only going to continue, and the sluggish tech advancements Canikon are making relative to what we see in MILCs sure as hell is not going to reverse that trend.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
nightscape123 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:

Have a nice life!

LOL. Sure, a trend. Canon stock is up 1.5% today, that's a trend, too. ::)

I'm not angry, just amused at your ludicrous premise.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Tugela said:
See a trend? This is only going to continue, and the sluggish tech advancements Canikon are making relative to what we see in MILCs sure as hell is not going to reverse that trend.
except one small fact. the mirrorless marketshare grew less than the offset of sony dropping DSLR's.

2015 - 25.6%
2014 - 23.5%
2013 - 18.9%
2012 - 20.1%

different of marketshare is far less than the delta of Sony's 11% marketshare.

Upvote 0
I think SonyRumors and MirrorlessRumors forums should be very boring. Who can support a place full of people satisfied with their cameras, it has every imaginable resource, and never disappoint, never lose focus, never lack DR. 8)

On the other hand, CanonRumors is fun. See people complaining constantly about their cameras disabled, they can not do any useful picture. ;D

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:

Have a nice life!

I laughed too. However, I made the mistake and googled "iphone wedding photography", it is a bit scary. The top link was an entire wedding shot with an iphone. The lack of subject isolation really starts to hurt my eyes after a while. And if the iphone wasn't enough, post processing with instagram for the final touch... ouch!

Be sure to follow that up with "8 Essential Tips For Beautiful iPhone Wedding Photography".

Upvote 0

Tugela said:
rrcphoto said:
Tugela said:
Consider this graphic:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Infographics-2015-1920_1080-700x394.jpg

In particular, the part showing the MILC bubble increasing on a yearly basis against the DSLR bubble. That is where the future is going. The really high end DSLRs are probably keeping their market share, but the low end ones are not. Those consumers are slowly seeping off into the MILC market.
except it doesn't take into account Sony going from 11% DSLR markethshare in 2013 to like .. almost 0% marketshare.

The DSLR market has shrunk a lot more than 11% since 2013. It dropped 9% in 2015 alone. Even if the entire Sony DSLR market evaporated, Canikon lost even more.

MILC sales on the other hand are slowly increasing at the same time DSLRs are tanking.

Percentage of MILC sales normalized against DSLRs:
2013: 23.1%
2014: 30.1%
2015: 34.4%

I'd rather use any DSLR than any MILC, with the possible exception of a Leica M. Every MILC I've tried has been terribly compromised in one way or another. Muddled ergonomics, poorly designed menus, lousy flash options, etc. Any Canon DSLR, from the Rebel series on up, feels better in the hand and is faster to set up and use than any MILC from Sony, Panasonic, Olympus or Fuji.

I'm happy to see Canon deliver an 80D with a great set of improvements over their excellent 70D. Canon is delivering very functional & refined products, with uniquely useful tech advancements like anti-flicker reduction. Sony is held up as the paragon of tech advancement, but flubbed the grip on all of their first generation of the A7 series, and even built a weak lens mount on some of them. Those are basic failures. Low-light AF on the A7II was embarrassing. Fuji is just getting around to adding a joy-stick AF-controller to their X-series — a huge breakthrough in Fuji-land — but their image quality is not as good as Canon's. Olympus has the absolute worst menu system of any camera maker, and their sensors are tiny compared to Sony's.

You're right about the trend, of course, and I'm sure it's a big worry for Canon. But as a photographer, I don't care whether the rest of the world uses DSLRs or MILCs, as long as Canon/Nikon/anybody keep making some decent DSLRs.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

rrcphoto said:
Tugela said:
except one small fact. the mirrorless marketshare grew less than the offset of sony dropping DSLR's.

Also consider – we've seen Canon's 'sluggish' advancements in mirrorless, one line of bodies and a handful of lenses. Without really trying, Canon is in 3rd for MILC market share. So if the trend continues and mirrorless becomes the major segment of ILCs, it seems quite likely that Canon would shift resources and simply continue their domination of the ILC market.

Upvote 0