UPDATED: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
However this seems like a camera that is geared heavily towards video yet it lacks the very basic 4k video that even most cell phones can do these days. I don't understand the logic here. Who would buy a such an expensive video camera that can't even handle basic resolutions?

You're right, just stick with your cell phone. They take great stills, too.

More and more people are. Even some wedding photographers are switching over to cell phones now.

Exactly. So leave this dump behind and head on over to iPhoneRumors.com. When you deliver your wedding stills and 4K video shot with a smartphone to the bride and she punches you in the face then sues for damages, don't blame us.

Have a nice life!

With a good light and nice environment,No doubt my Samsung note4 does deliver a beautiful video.Though it has some limitation when :-
-Needs of shallow depth of field
-Interchangeable lens
-low light
-battery life

Combining using DSLR on monopod and slider while my Samsung note 4 attached on a hand held gimbal for movement and wide and shot,I belief my bride's won't even aware that was taken with Samsung note 4.

Upvote 0
One good thing about this thread: It brings out the true character of contributing* members. Good gravy...

Canon produces a successor to an amateur/enthusiast camera with (rumored) specs that give some pleasing -- and even significant -- enhancements, and some react as if they'd just been cheated out of their life savings!

What an entitled world it portrays with such bitter complaining that a mid-tier amateur/enthusiast camera doesn't have more features intended for professionals.

Let's get real: Businesses segment their product lines to cater to various markets with differing needs and budgets. This is often done largely through differentiation of feature set.

• If all Canon made was the 1D, it would forfeit revenue from lower-budget markets.
  • If all Canon made was Rebels, it would abandon the professional market and associated revenue.
  • If all Canon made was the 1D priced like a Rebel, it would forfeit revenue professionals are able to justify as business expense.

Each of the above scenarios results in lower revenue -- likely low enough to no longer support the business.

Therefore, Canon created product lines to target markets between Rebel and 1D. There is some overlap, but it's fairly clear which cameras are aimed at which markets. If you don't fit one of those markets, it doesn't mean Canon's market data is wrong. Wishing a lower-tier product had more upper-tier features does not make it poor business practice, either. Company A may segment its product lines differently than Company B. That doesn't make one company wrong, either.

Speaking of upper-tier features and generational improvements, let's just look at how "garbage" this amateur/enthusiast camera really is:

• Resolution goes from 20.2 to 24.2MP? Healthy upgrade.
  • AF Points go from 19 to 45, all cross-type? Healthy upgrade.
  • AF at F8 goes from 0 to 27 AF points? Healthy upgrade.
  • AF down to -3EV? Healthy upgrade.
  • Continuous AF in Live View goes from 0FPS to 5FPS? Healthy upgrade.
  • Added Anti-Flicker feature of 7DII and 5DS? Healthy upgrade.
  • Added time-lapse? Healthy upgrade.
  • New vibration control mirror/shutter mechanism? Healthy upgrade.
  • Added headphone jack and HDMI? Healthy upgrade.
  • Digic 5+ to Digic 6? Healthy upgrade.

Considering the capabilities of this camera (and even its predecessor), perhaps the heartburn is Canon's fault after all -- for making such an amazing, feature-rich product for this price point.**

Just think of all the things that have trickled down from higher-tier bodies, features that used to be "professional." I have no doubt the 80D will do exactly what it was positioned to do in the market. That's good news for customers in ANY market segment.

True pros and realistic enthusiasts will buy the best camera they can afford while accepting the limitations if their budget doesn't support the very best money can buy. It's perfectly healthy to be disappointed if a desired feature is missing (for me, that's exposure compensation when using Auto-ISO in full manual mode). Moaning and ranting ad nauseam about it -- not so much. :p

</soapbox>

* I use that term VERY loosely.

** Anybody else remember all the predictions of doom and subsequent complaining that the 70D would be $1,500-1,700 at launch? Then it came in at $1,199. Then I waited a couple months and got it for $1,050.

Upvote 0
Re: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

lucuias said:
Famateur said:
lucuias said:
Comparing to sony a6300,this is a piece of garbage .sigh

Dang.

I guess I better throw my 70D away because it's not even as good as this garbage 80D is rumored to be.

Guess I better throw away the tens of thousands of images I've taken with it, too, as they must be utter garbage (after all, you can't get good images from a piece of garbage).

Oh, crap!!! This means I have to call up my clients to inform them that the photos they were just so pleased with are actually crap because they come from the garbage progenitor of a yet-to-be-released garbage camera!

Can this day get any worse???

Aaaaaaahhhhhh!!! Save me, SoNikon -- you're my only hope!!!

Sheesh...

::)

My work involve photography & Videography at the same time.It is 2016,I am expecting 4k video from canon.Sony & Panasonic can do it.Why not Canon?No I am not asking for DCI 4k 800mps bit rate as what 1dxII offering ,but just as the competitor offering UHD 4k 100mps bit rate since 80D is for enthusiastic.
Don't get offended,I am not saying your photos with Canon 70D is a garbage ,after all camera it is just a tools.like a brush for an artist,ofcourse there are good brush and bad brush. No doubt a good artist could make a fantastic art work with a bad brush,but with a good brush,he can just can make a better art work .At the same time,he can focus on creativity instead of fiddling with his bad brush.

You make some reasonable points, and no offense was taken. :p

That said, if there are products (like the GH4) that already have the features you need, why not buy (or save up for) them?

Perhaps the GH4 doesn't produce the stills features you're after?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
lucuias said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
However this seems like a camera that is geared heavily towards video yet it lacks the very basic 4k video that even most cell phones can do these days. I don't understand the logic here. Who would buy a such an expensive video camera that can't even handle basic resolutions?

You're right, just stick with your cell phone. They take great stills, too.

More and more people are. Even some wedding photographers are switching over to cell phones now.

Exactly. So leave this dump behind and head on over to iPhoneRumors.com. When you deliver your wedding stills and 4K video shot with a smartphone to the bride and she punches you in the face then sues for damages, don't blame us.

Have a nice life!

With a good light and nice environment,No doubt my Samsung note4 does deliver a beautiful video.Though it has some limitation when :-
-Needs of shallow depth of field
-Interchangeable lens
-low light
-battery life

Combining using DSLR on monopod and slider while my Samsung note 4 attached on a hand held gimbal for movement and wide and shot,I belief my bride's won't even aware that was taken with Samsung note 4.

Well, yes...church interiors are always brightly lit so you should do very well with your Samsung and no doubt the brides will be just thrilled with the resulting video footage.

Upvote 0
Famateur said:
One good thing about this thread: It brings out the true character of contributing* members. Good gravy...

Canon produces a successor to an amateur/enthusiast camera with (rumored) specs that give some pleasing -- and even significant -- enhancements, and some react as if they'd just been cheated out of their life savings!

What an entitled world it portrays with such bitter complaining that a mid-tier amateur/enthusiast camera doesn't have more features intended for professionals.

Let's get real: Businesses segment their product lines to cater to various markets with differing needs and budgets. This is often done largely through differentiation of feature set.

• If all Canon made was the 1D, it would forfeit revenue from lower-budget markets.
  • If all Canon made was Rebels, it would abandon the professional market and associated revenue.
  • If all Canon made was the 1D priced like a Rebel, it would forfeit revenue professionals are able to justify as business expense.

Each of the above scenarios results in lower revenue -- likely low enough to no longer support the business.

Therefore, Canon created product lines to target markets between Rebel and 1D. There is some overlap, but it's fairly clear which cameras are aimed at which markets. If you don't fit one of those markets, it doesn't mean Canon's market data is wrong. Wishing a lower-tier product had more upper-tier features does not make it poor business practice, either. Company A may segment its product lines differently than Company B. That doesn't make one company wrong, either.

Speaking of upper-tier features and generational improvements, let's just look at how "garbage" this amateur/enthusiast camera really is:

• Resolution goes from 20.2 to 24.2MP? Healthy upgrade.
  • AF Points go from 19 to 45, all cross-type? Healthy upgrade.
  • AF at F8 goes from 0 to 27 AF points? Healthy upgrade.
  • AF down to -3EV? Healthy upgrade.
  • Continuous AF in Live View goes from 0FPS to 5FPS? Healthy upgrade.
  • Added Anti-Flicker feature of 7DII and 5DS? Healthy upgrade.
  • Added time-lapse? Healthy upgrade.
  • New vibration control mirror/shutter mechanism? Healthy upgrade.
  • Added headphone jack and HDMI? Healthy upgrade.
  • Digic 5+ to Digic 6? Healthy upgrade.

Considering the capabilities of this camera (and even its predecessor), perhaps the heartburn is Canon's fault after all -- for making such an amazing, feature-rich product for this price point.**

Just think of all the things that have trickled down from higher-tier bodies, features that used to be "professional." I have no doubt the 80D will do exactly what it was positioned to do in the market. That's good news for customers in ANY market segment.

True pros and realistic enthusiasts will buy the best camera they can afford while accepting the limitations if their budget doesn't support the very best money can buy. It's perfectly healthy to be disappointed if a desired feature is missing (for me, that's exposure compensation when using Auto-ISO in full manual mode). Moaning and ranting ad nauseam about it -- not so much. :p

</soapbox>

* I use that term VERY loosely.

** Anybody else remember all the predictions of doom and subsequent complaining that the 70D would be $1,500-1,700 at launch? Then it came in at $1,199. Then I waited a couple months and got it for $1,050.

Well said! I will be pleased to own an 80D.

Upvote 0

nvsravank

CR Pro
Feb 2, 2012
Best of Luck Tiderace. Enjoy your shiny new Sony toys and make some good work.

While i wish you best wishes, I am confused how you can even complain about these things.

1. When 5D Mark III came in 2012 4K was not in any DLSR / Phone as far as i know. It was just coming in and the TVs were in the 20K price range. It was not mainstream (4K is not mainstream even now).
GH4 came out in 2014. Are you seriously complaining that Cannonw as not able to give you functionality 2 years after release? Do you stop to consider they might not be able to do it. Even ML cant do 4K on 5D Mark III. That is not even going into the argument of why should Canon give that for free.

2. I will agree, 70D not having HDMI out is intentional. Is it wrong for you - I am assuming yes since you are so passionate about it. Is it wrong for Canon - A few of us argue that it is not. I think i saw a previous post that explains the points about business and how Sony can have a different plan for business. In this case Sony seems to be what you want right now. So good luck to you again.

3. Canon has never been accused of being too fast to market. They take their time and do a pretty good job. Are they late tot he party? Always (atleast nowadays). Is it done well and meets the needs of the niche being targeted? Arguably yes from the market shares and sales figures.

Tiderace said:
Major complaint about Canon from a 20 year professional loyal user who is leaving! Deliberate handicapping of cameras across the line. That is right on purpose. We are sick of it. Done. Over and out. Gone. Horse is out of the barn, left.

!. Top of the line at the time 5D Mark iii did not even have clean HDMI out at first, finally did, but even then NO audio for god sake! It is 8 bit 422 where GH4 is 10 bit and 4K

2. 70D has NO HDMI out because it it crippled ON PURPOSE. Only alternative is Raw via firmware heist. This is just awful. It forces you to use highly compressed video which makes color grading extremely difficult and exposure modification iffy. It is wrong, wrong.

3. No 4K even on there Cinema line until you get to 15000 dollars. What the heck is going on here. Yes they have one alternative now but it is a crazy mix of a camera video thingy for media web journalists supposedly and has a fixed lens so that is a loser right out of the gate.

OMG I don't hate Canon, we use to love them. We have giant bucks tied up with them. But Sony thank you Sony how will allow us to use all our glass and sell our cameras and bye bye Cannon. That is right gone.

So good luck Canon Rumors.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
unfocused said:
crashpc said:
Refurb7 said:
"Canon is crippling their cameras to protect higher end models"

This nonsense about "crippling" goes round and round on the Internet. So-called crippling is called building for a price, and every business does it, including photographers.

Photographers show amazing hypocrisy here. Whether your clients pay you $500, $1000, $2500, $5000 or $10000, do they get the exact same service/products? Of course they don't. So you are "crippling" your cheaper services/products on purpose to "protect" your more expensive services/products. You don't give away the store. But when you give less for less money, you don't call it "crippling". You call it good business...

Not valid. There are many features to enable "just like that" without more expensive HW.

And you know this because you are a camera designer/engineer?
EXACTLY!

What are the system constraints for program storage. Do you have space to include every conceivable piece of code, or do you have to pick and choose? What is the computing load? Is the sensor read by the pixel, by the row, or by the column....that can change how fast you read your video..... and what is the codec? How big is the buffer? What is the processor architecture and how many bits wide is it and how many cores? What is the future architecture going to be and is the new feature to just be for this and future models, or is it to be rewritten to handle old stuff too....

If you know all that and take a few years studying the code, then you are in a position to comment on what features are there and which are not.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
nightscape123 said:
Because it's a stills camera that just happens to shoot video......

Upvote 0
Chiming in just for the hell of it before signing off for a while:

This makes me really excited for what the 7d3 will bring to the table. If the 80D has this many points that can AF at f/8, I have to assume 7d3 will have more than center point, at least. And it seems to be a correlation between f/8 sensitive points and points that can AF at EV-3 with an f/2.8 lens. Add to that a few extra MP, and as long as it comes out before the 90D does, I will definitely replace both my 7d bodies with the mk3 version ASAP. The 80D is tempting, but I know if I jump on that ship I'll regret it as soon as the 7d3 comes out...

Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany

Chaitanya said:
Woody said:
Chaitanya said:
Also in case of 80D reading the rumoured specs it feels like Canon is purposfully holding it back to protect its 7D markII.

7DM2 does not offer continuous AF in live view mode. 7DM2 LCD is non-articulate and has no touch screen capability.

If Canon is holding back 4k video, then Nikon is in the stone age as far as video and live view are concerned. :)

We'll see if there is any improvement in the low ISO department for the 80D.
Af point coverage unlike 7D mk2(nearly edge to edge) is going to be only across the middle of viewfinder(similar to Nikons D6x0/750).
Af customisation and selection modes will be castrated and 80D wont get Spot or Group selection options
No Af linked spot metering(sadly this is lacking in 7D mk ii as well)
No dual Sd card slots(extremely useful for backups)
Gimped ergonomics, selecting af points using that Dpad is going to be pain in thumb. (Nikon has the Dpad in proper position).
Sure 7D mk II lacks touchscreen but it was apprently done to improve ruggedness.
Also if the rumours are true and Canon does release an update to 7D Mk2 then it might improve on those points..
Also Nikon will update their D7200 soon and they will make sure that it will have better feature set than 80D(atleast for the sake of marketing they will add 4K and boast about it).

on a side note that 18-135mm lens is looking more interesting, it would be interesting to see how Canon develops the concept in future especially for mirrorless users.

digicame-info.com/2016/02/ef-s18-135mm-f35-56-is-usm-2.html

You have a point with the dual SD card slot that is missing. The rest is mostly irrelevant. You can select groups of AF-points, for the very rare clientel, that has to change single AF-points on the fly and can't do it with the two wheels, they should go for another camera... noone ever said the 80D is the camera for everyone ~. I wont buy it though, because a 70D is still fine for me. I don't see how a future update of a camera from another manufacturer that has it's downside, too (dual pixel AF equivalent missing for example?) will make this 80D any worse... else you can't use your Canon lenses with a Nikon. That said...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
bseitz234 said:

This makes me really excited for what the 7d3 will bring to the table. If the 80D has this many points that can AF at f/8, I have to assume 7d3 will have more than center point, at least. And it seems to be a correlation between f/8 sensitive points and points that can AF at EV-3 with an f/2.8 lens. Add to that a few extra MP, and as long as it comes out before the 90D does, I will definitely replace both my 7d bodies with the mk3 version ASAP. The 80D is tempting, but I know if I jump on that ship I'll regret it as soon as the 7d3 comes out...
+1

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014

ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
Here are detailed specs of the camera:
http://digicame-info.com/2016/02/eos-80d-3.html

Looks like serious meh, a camera that should have been made 2 years back to compete with Nikon D7100. Today this camera is serious piece of garbage being dumped by Canon after snuffing drugs.
70D handily beat D7100 in almost every area. You can just buy 70D and save the money if that is all you need.
Check this great Michael epic shootout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOM4r1gxsbs
No 4K video
No Dual Sd Slots
No UHS-II compatibility
No USB 3.x
No Af linked spot metering

I see no reason to upgrade from 70D, I primarily shoot macro and Af upgrades are useless to me.
Fair enough. Even for users asking for more DR, can go with ML and gain some of it without upgrading to 80d. But you assertion of 80d competing with d7100 is not correct. 70d itself proved to be better than d7100 based on lot of parameters. Except dpr where they declared d7100 best crop camera over every other crop camera including 7d2. That being said other than poor live view AF and 1 raw file buffer, there is nothing much to differentiate them.
Overall IQ from Nikon D7x00 is definitely better than equivalent Canon Eosx0D. Also in case of 80D reading the rumoured specs it feels like Canon is purposfully holding it back to protect its 7D markII. In this price range many cameras are doing 4K for two years now and I know a lot of youtubers who got rid of their canon bodies in favour of GH4. Even I wanted 4K as when I am out in field I can shoot videos of animals(amphibians, insects and reptiles) and crop in post if I wasnt able to get closer to subjects.
Another complaint that I have with 60/70/80D is that D-Pad is too low and it isnt too comfortable to change af points. Position of D Pad on Nikons D7x00 feels a lot better. If Canon would have mkved that D-Pad upwards by 1/2" it would be ergonomically better.
Agree with you about overall IQ between D7X00 and D5x00 vs Canon equivalents. I think they are always going to be shade better considering small sensor differences and DR. DPR/Rishi summarised some where about these IQ differences between Nikon and Canon and Sony crop cameras. They are pretty good at studio tests and IQ determination.

Hopefully Canon is going to close DR differences. I do not know much about GH4. But stills you might have a problem with smaller sensor compared to Canon and Nikon crop sensors. I guess Samsung is the one made big breakthrough in terms of proper video quality but they ended up closing shop. I heard Sony video quality from crop sensor is also crap for serious users.

Regarding changing focus points, I use wheel to move side to side and D-pad to move it up and down. I am just very basic rebel user. Upgraded to 70D when Canon did deep discount sale. Grabbed 10-18mm and 55-250 STM lens in similar circumstances. For serious users, D-pad might be a problem

Any idea on HD video shooting feature on 80d. We might also see better video quality from 80D. Frankly best thing Canon does is, these amazing sales on refurbs once in awhile.
Thanks to metabones and other speedbooster adaptors the small sensor of micro 4/3 didn't make too much difference for people who are shooting under controlled situation. For video shooters on Sony platform they either have to get A7s series or upgrade all the way up to their FS series of cameras. Even though on paper their A6x00 camera and others offer good video features, overall video quality is not upto mark.I know a couple of filmmakers from my part of the world who first started SLR video thanks to Canons 5D mark II but were put off by this Canon's stupidity of protecting their expensive cameras and have all now shifted to Panasonic Gh4, and Sony A7s for their video needs. Even if Canon improves the IQ on their cameras, their backward mentality of protecting expensive cameras is becoming a real pain in rearside and putting off a lot of users.
Nice pics. There is hope for better video quality. Canon actually talked down video quality of 5DS. But there are users who claimed 5DS 1080p is better than any Canon DSLR.
Thanks, that frog photos was shot with my friends D7200. And there are situation like those where those Dual SD slots are lifesaver for us. I really hope that for Canon's sake 4K video for 80D is just firmware limitation which Canon can lift later on.
Someone called Paul on POTN, makes amazing macro pics with 70D. You should check out 70D thread on that website.

I have never tried pulling a still from a video, so I can't comment on the advantages of that for closeup work, nor on its quality or lack thereof. I do shoot a lot of insects with 7D and 100mm macro in open daylight (and sometimes with Panasonic G3 and 100-300 on an extension tube), and I have often achieved results at least as good as those posted as examples here. There is nothing unusual about my photos, and a great many photographers have posted work of this sort on the 'net. Many of them use 7D, some have used 70D, still others have used Rebels, 5D2, 5D3, and other bodies. Shooting in bursts is a good strategy to capture a sharply focused image of a rapidly moving insect such as a nectaring butterfly. For my purposes, the 80D would be a superb tool, though I have no plans to buy one.

So just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of a video still over a much larger file obtained by shooting a burst?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Don Haines said:
bseitz234 said:

+1

Unfortunately, we are probably at least a year away from a 7DIII (at a minimum). Still, the 7DII remains a great and very competitive camera, so no complaints here.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
unfocused said:
Don Haines said:
bseitz234 said:

+1

Unfortunately, we are probably at least a year away from a 7DIII (at a minimum). Still, the 7DII remains a great and very competitive camera, so no complaints here.
Yes, I love the 7D2 and no way would an 80D tempt me.... but unlike those people delusional enough to think that lower model's features are deliberately suppressed to protect higher models, I see some really nice stuff being introduced here and look forward to seeing them on the 7D3.... I see the 80D as a test-bed for future 7D3 features :)

That said, if my 7D2 was stolen, I would seriously consider the 80D as a filler until the 7D3 came out. There are rumors of 7D3 prototypes in the field so that meshes with the year to year-and-a-half timeframe to see the 7D3.

Upvote 0
This looks like a great upgrade to my t4i. A few requests for speculation ;)

The rumor states:
Four of the AF area selection modes, including a new “L zone AF”
Any guesses as to what modes these are? Does anyone think that spot af may be one of these? As for L zone is that likely to describe the shape and how would that be useful?

I am a little disappointed by the lack of mention of GPS, with Wifi and NFC does anyone think that Cannon would do something crazy like pull GPS info from your phone to attach to the photo?

Upvote 0