UPDATED: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

axtstern

EOS M(ediochre)
Jun 12, 2012
Now that this thread has killed my complete morning productivity it is time to say Thank you to all of you.

I feel really really well entertained.

Discussing the spec lists of a XXD on this Forum is for me what the last night of the prom must be for the Queens subject. A lot of spectacle about something new and unique and at the same time same Show laike last year.

Neuro and the other guys from the bridge Crew will remeber the battles raged when the Joystick disapeared on 60D release, the opinion wars when the 6D came out and had an AF that made the 60D look like a 1DX compared to a Instamatic in relation to the 6D.... and here we go again.
Remember him that can't be named Ankor... almost miss him in this discussion.

Now that the thread has reached 15 pages it is time to Launch the Boosters.
This 80D is supposed to have a MIC and a Headphone connector... such a feature (or the Absence of it) alone used to spark more emotions back in the days when the 5D and 5D2 were rumors.

Ah and the 27 AF sensors at F8 ? I'm not in the BIF Arena but should this not render a plenty of formerly very expensive Canon bodies obsolete?

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Af point coverage unlike 7D mk2(nearly edge to edge) is going to be only across the middle of viewfinder(similar to Nikons D6x0/750).

How would you know? Have you seen a diagram of the AF point layout? Or are you guessing it is similar to the pre-1DX 1-series 45-pt oblong? I think you'd be very wrong in your presumption.

How true! "Highly INNOVATIVE Canon". Greatest achievements were
a) introduction of direct print button
surpassed by
b) abolishing diect print button.

In sensor tech? Not so much. :p

I guess all those patents that make Canon consistently in the Top 2/3 worldwide for patents granted for many years, beating most US companies save for IBM, are all for printers eh? :p

Upvote 0
Coldhands said:
Plainsman said:
Why did Canon not provide f8 AF capability on this model?

See page one:

AF 45 points (all points cross type). AF distance measuring point of maximum 27 points F8

The translator garbled it a bit, but it seems pretty clear that it will AF at f/8.
Hi,
27points at F8?? Wow... It's better than my 7D2 which only had one F8 AF point at the center... :'(

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
45af points on the 80d makes me look forward to the 6d replacement.
The only disappointment in the 80d is that it sounds like it's the same sensor as the t6. The t6 has a great sensor, for sure, but it is still a year old. Also I could have hoped for more pixels although that's not a major gripe

Edit: I read those specs too fast, the 80d has a dpaf sensor while the t6's had CMOS hyprid AF III, so all bets are off, I'm eager to see how this one performs!

Upvote 0
The AF system makes me optimistic about the 6D II.

However this seems like a camera that is geared heavily towards video yet it lacks the very basic 4k video that even most cell phones can do these days. I don't understand the logic here. Who would buy a such an expensive video camera that can't even handle basic resolutions?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
nightscape123 said:
However this seems like a camera that is geared heavily towards video yet it lacks the very basic 4k video that even most cell phones can do these days. I don't understand the logic here. Who would buy a such an expensive video camera that can't even handle basic resolutions?

You're right, just stick with your cell phone. They take great stills, too.

Upvote 0
IglooEater said:
The only disappointment in the 80d is that it sounds like it's the same sensor as the t6. The t6 has a great sensor, for sure, but it is still a year old. Also I could have hoped for more pixels although that's not a major gripe

Seeing as how the 80D has DPAF, it's pretty much a guarantee that it's not the same sensor as the T6i/T6s.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
IglooEater said:
How do you know? Check updated page 1: "New 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor. Adopt a new miniaturization process"

Upvote 0
I hope that the BG-E14 battery grip of the 70D still fits. If that's the case, if the spread of the AF points is improved compared to the 70D and if it has significantly better noise performance I might be tempted to upgrade to the 80D.
But I will likely stick with my 70D and upgrade to FF once the 5D4 and 6D2 are introduced because there is no convincing EF-S standard zoom in the 24-70 (equivalent) range.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Re: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

Chaitanya said:
ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
Here are detailed specs of the camera:
http://digicame-info.com/2016/02/eos-80d-3.html

Looks like serious meh, a camera that should have been made 2 years back to compete with Nikon D7100. Today this camera is serious piece of garbage being dumped by Canon after snuffing drugs.
70D handily beat D7100 in almost every area. You can just buy 70D and save the money if that is all you need.
Check this great Michael epic shootout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOM4r1gxsbs
No 4K video
No Dual Sd Slots
No UHS-II compatibility
No USB 3.x
No Af linked spot metering

I see no reason to upgrade from 70D, I primarily shoot macro and Af upgrades are useless to me.
Fair enough. Even for users asking for more DR, can go with ML and gain some of it without upgrading to 80d. But you assertion of 80d competing with d7100 is not correct. 70d itself proved to be better than d7100 based on lot of parameters. Except dpr where they declared d7100 best crop camera over every other crop camera including 7d2. That being said other than poor live view AF and 1 raw file buffer, there is nothing much to differentiate them.
Overall IQ from Nikon D7x00 is definitely better than equivalent Canon Eosx0D. Also in case of 80D reading the rumoured specs it feels like Canon is purposfully holding it back to protect its 7D markII. In this price range many cameras are doing 4K for two years now and I know a lot of youtubers who got rid of their canon bodies in favour of GH4. Even I wanted 4K as when I am out in field I can shoot videos of animals(amphibians, insects and reptiles) and crop in post if I wasnt able to get closer to subjects.
Another complaint that I have with 60/70/80D is that D-Pad is too low and it isnt too comfortable to change af points. Position of D Pad on Nikons D7x00 feels a lot better. If Canon would have mkved that D-Pad upwards by 1/2" it would be ergonomically better.

Im actually enjoying your later replies, as the first ones were kind of ridiculous (this is garbage! who needs AF? Whaaaa??).

So if this camera completely spec-kills the 7d2, then what would that do to 7d2 sales, targeted at a particular market? You already answered that question. I and others certainly dont like canon's spec leveling to maintain their segments, but when people show a disdain for a body CLEARLY not meant for them, it gets wacky real fast. :eek: I prefer Nikon's kitchen sink approach, but they,it is what it is.

The 70d was a fantastic, 'do everything, feature complete' machine (except that non live view focus...please fix), and the thumb-wheel placement is nowhere close to being a point of contention. Is the joystick better? Sure, but so is a 5d3 :p

There is no confirmation of the AF point spread, but hey, it's pretty darn crazy to complain about MORE AF POINTs, eh?

Two card slots? Would be nice, but not the end of the world, at all.

Im also pretty sure you understand that macro is a small slice of the community, no matter how awesome it is (nice pics)

Lastly for 4k, introducing that in a body level that many many wont use it -i figure- its a hit or miss. I cant call it.

Anyways, with this 80D, i never need a rebel again. And my crash courses in videography will be supported by a mid tier body that fully embraces video. And it will cost less than a 7D2, +swivel screen, + potentially better sensor, etc....Scoooooooooorrrrrre!

Cheers and beers

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
IglooEater said:

The 6D is the world's easiest camera to upgrade.

Terrible, Crap, soulless, incapacitated AF? check
Blackout times arguably too long for a full framer? check.
Ultra mushy joystick? OMG check
Ultra basic feature set? Check (for better or worse)

I didnt sell mine yet because that fantastic ISO. Colors or incredibly bold. But the sensor itself isnt that sharp either.

That said, a 6d2 will be a winner in every way beyond how canon sweats to keep it as a downtrodden full framer.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:

You're right, just stick with your cell phone. They take great stills, too.

I find it amusing that so many folks casually compare DSLR video to smartphone video as if Canon can simply add 4K video to a APS-C or FF sensor like it's no big deal. Correct me if I'm wrong here but achieving 4K video with outstanding quality out of a DSLR sensor is simply not equivalent to the task of achieving it with a tiny smartphone sensor where the quality won't be questioned. (Esp when the camera on a smartphone is a secondary feature behind the display, CPU, build design, etc.) There are some very intelligent folks on this forum that understand the sensor technology to a much higher degree than this EE engineering student turned IT technology graduate so I'll leave it to them to explain. But I'm guessing it has something to do with voltage, heat and the laws of physics.

Upvote 0
I see these posts "no one will want this junk 80D" as a married man ... ???

He looks at the nude models on the internet, and think about how your wife is fat and ugly. :-\ It displays their "superiority" to friends, he has a young and beautiful lover. :-*

It turns out that many of his friends prefer a woman "truth" that is loving, good bed, kitchen well, and treats him with respect and dedication. 8)

I think the scorned wife has many men wanting her. Not all men want a woman just beautiful on the outside (in the specification sheet). ;)

Upvote 0
Major complaint about Canon from a 20 year professional loyal user who is leaving! Deliberate handicapping of cameras across the line. That is right on purpose. We are sick of it. Done. Over and out. Gone. Horse is out of the barn, left.

!. Top of the line at the time 5D Mark iii did not even have clean HDMI out at first, finally did, but even then NO audio for god sake! It is 8 bit 422 where GH4 is 10 bit and 4K

2. 70D has NO HDMI out because it it crippled ON PURPOSE. Only alternative is Raw via firmware heist. This is just awful. It forces you to use highly compressed video which makes color grading extremely difficult and exposure modification iffy. It is wrong, wrong.

3. No 4K even on there Cinema line until you get to 15000 dollars. What the heck is going on here. Yes they have one alternative now but it is a crazy mix of a camera video thingy for media web journalists supposedly and has a fixed lens so that is a loser right out of the gate.

OMG I don't hate Canon, we use to love them. We have giant bucks tied up with them. But Sony thank you Sony how will allow us to use all our glass and sell our cameras and bye bye Cannon. That is right gone.

So good luck Canon Rumors.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Tiderace said:
Major complaint about Canon from a 20 year professional loyal user who is leaving!

As a professional I would expect you to understand that
there is more to a feature than just its label.

Tiderace said:
3. No 4K even on there Cinema line (...) But Sony thank you Sony (...)

Yes, Sony will gladly take your money and then teach you right.

Like.... UHD 4k with a data stream of just 100 Mbit isn't even near
the DCI 4k at 800 Mbit that the 1D-X MkII delivers.

Surprise, surprise.....

Upvote 0