UPDATED: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

K

Jan 29, 2015
Re: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

The way I read it, it is a downgrade in FPS. That is just awful. Sounds like a plot to protect 7D2 sales. Cause I've been recommending the 70D to budget minded folks for a while now who need speed. 7fps is not bad at all. Sure, it's not 10, but it's pretty good for most people's needs. 70D was hitting as low as $650 in the last year, from authorized dealers too.

24mp? Whatever. In the ballpark with everything, a minor thing. Expected. Like a Rebel.

ISO 16000? Same as 7D2. Nothing impressive. Then again, realistic for crop (forget Nikon's absurd ISO claims).

45 AF points, now that is good.

Probably only has 1 SD slot.

DPAF - glad they kept this.

60fps...ok.

If these specs hold up to be true - the 80D is a LOSER.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015

PhotographyFirst said:
I would love to have an 80D with dual slots, so I never have to carry extra cards or a card case ever again. Just two 128 GB cards with backups being written, and I am golden! :)

Canon does not want you to be golden at all. Not unless you give Canon more of your gold.

Since we're talking crop - if you shop around, a 7D2 gets you dual slots for a reasonable price. Makes one wonder what the intro price of this 80D will be.

For full frame, it is painful. Canon wants $3,000 to have any type of data redundancy and security.

Upvote 0

K said:
PhotographyFirst said:
I would love to have an 80D with dual slots, so I never have to carry extra cards or a card case ever again. Just two 128 GB cards with backups being written, and I am golden! :)

Canon does not want you to be golden at all. Not unless you give Canon more of your gold.

Since we're talking crop - if you shop around, a 7D2 gets you dual slots for a reasonable price. Makes one wonder what the intro price of this 80D will be.

For full frame, it is painful. Canon wants $3,000 to have any type of data redundancy and security.

I would never shoot with a 7D2. I would prefer to have a swivel touch screen and smaller/lighter body. I wouldn't mind using a Nikon D5XXX body but they don't have good live view implementation. :(

Upvote 0

da_guy2 said:
So what's the big upgrade over the 70D?

Yeah I do wonder. 60p HD? But still no 4k.
Maybe the sensor performs like Exmor finally, but it doesn't sound like it.
Maybe the AF works a little bit better?
I don't know why Canon has decided to become such a follower. They used to be such an exciting, forward pushing company.

Upvote 0

If they've solved the moire and aliasing video issue of the 70D I may be interested. (provided all the other features are decent). DPAF must work with all Canon lenses during continuous focus, especially fast L glass.

I'd love a DSLR with spot on AF that I can leave unattended during interviews.

Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany

olix said:
Lame, Canon!
But we can see the bright side.
As the most photographers/videographers migrate to Sony, Panasonic... all used Canon gear will get a lower price. We will see Canon bargains everywere!

You sound like miffed, mememem child..., seriously, grow old. What about all this whining? The specs sound decent, especially the AF-system. At what price it will come is interesting, because I too can't see serious selling arguments over the 7D2, except the articulating screen. It may come down to wether you need one or not. Still, interested in how the sensor will perform, although my expectations are rather moderate.

Upvote 0

Not to be a jackass, but who is the target buyer for this? The DSLR market is quickly becoming niche, or more accurately, a series of niche markets... Pro sports: 1D, Wedding and events: 5D, Wildlife: 7D, Enthusiast: 6D,... Who is the 80D targeted at? What are they doing with it? Is it a decent sized market? What are the key competitive differentiators against cameras like the Sony a6300?

Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany

VirtualRain said:
Not to be a jackass, but who is the target buyer for this? The DSLR market is quickly becoming niche, or more accurately, a series of niche markets... Pro sports: 1D, Wedding and events: 5D, Wildlife: 7D, Enthusiast: 6D,... Who is the 80D targeted at? What are they doing with it? Is it a decent sized market? What are the key competitive differentiators against cameras like the Sony a6300?

The Sony A6300 will most probably be a great camera, but differntiators are obvious: Handling and balancing, OVF (=battery life), AF different from MILC-AF (remains to be seen if up or downside), Screen articulates differently, button arrangement probably...

Upvote 0

The 5 FPS AIS is for live view DP shooting, I do believe. :)

Here's a better feature list translation. CR guy missed some portions.

24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Continuous shooting 7 fps
Continuous shooting with live view 5 fps (AF tracking)
AF 45 points (all points cross type)
7560 pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
ISO range: 100-16,000
Viewfinder has 100% field of view
3 inches vari-angle LCD monitor, touchscreen
Video: full HD 60fps
Time-lapse movie
HDR
Creative filters
Built-in Wi-Fi, NFC
Remote control from smartphone

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune

K said:
The way I read it, it is a downgrade in FPS. That is just awful. Sounds like a plot to protect 7D2 sales. Cause I've been recommending the 70D to budget minded folks for a while now who need speed. 7fps is not bad at all. Sure, it's not 10, but it's pretty good for most people's needs. 70D was hitting as low as $650 in the last year, from authorized dealers too.

24mp? Whatever. In the ballpark with everything, a minor thing. Expected. Like a Rebel.

ISO 16000? Same as 7D2. Nothing impressive. Then again, realistic for crop (forget Nikon's absurd ISO claims).

45 AF points, now that is good.

Probably only has 1 SD slot.

DPAF - glad they kept this.

60fps...ok.

If these specs hold up to be true - the 80D is a LOSER.

Here another thing to consider: the coverage of those AF points across the frame. since this is EOS XXD, I suspect the AF coverage is going to be densely packed in centre. Pretty much useless for any serious work.

Upvote 0

hubie said:
VirtualRain said:

The Sony A6300 will most probably be a great camera, but differntiators are obvious: Handling and balancing, OVF (=battery life), AF different from MILC-AF (remains to be seen if up or downside), Screen articulates differently, button arrangement probably...

But does any of this matter to the buyer of these cameras... Which I still don't understand who is the target for this? Or put another way, what kind of photographer is interested in the 80D today?

Anecdotal... My daughter purchased a 70D and a few EFS lenses because it was better than a rebel but still reasonably priced. But not long after (for the last couple years) she shoots exclusively with an iPhone 5s and her next $1000 towards a new camera will be the iPhone 7.

Upvote 0

VirtualRain said:

I would rather use the 80D than any Sony. The 80D will have better ergonomics, faster overall operation, much better menus, a much better lens system, better AF tracking, better video AF tracking, amazing anti-flicker tech for indoor sports, a better flash system (with radio ETTL), a real optical viewfinder with zero lagginess, and better service if I ever need a repair. Just my personal preference.

Upvote 0

Refurb7 said:
VirtualRain said:

I would rather use the 80D than any Sony. The 80D will have better ergonomics, faster overall operation, much better menus, a much better lens system, better AF tracking, better video AF tracking, amazing anti-flicker tech for indoor sports, a better flash system (with radio ETTL), a real optical viewfinder with zero lagginess, and better service if I ever need a repair. Just my personal preference.

That's all true, so forget about Sony. Are you interested in buying it, or just chimed in to defend Canon vs Sony? If this body interests you, please share what kind of shooting are you going to use it for and why not buy any of the other Canon bodies? I'm seriously trying to understand who will buy this.

Upvote 0

schmidtfilme

Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
Sep 5, 2012
Nuremberg
www.35photo.de

VirtualRain said:
schmidtfilme said:
The only feature I would like to have is GPS. Other than that it's a great camera for me.

You have a 5D3 according to your sig... So that's an interesting thing to say... Why is this a great camera for you?

I like to have a camera that can shoot great videos and photos including AF during video so I can see myself. With the tilting screen and mic in this is perfect.

Upvote 0