UPDATED: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

Luds34 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
However this seems like a camera that is geared heavily towards video yet it lacks the very basic 4k video that even most cell phones can do these days. I don't understand the logic here. Who would buy a such an expensive video camera that can't even handle basic resolutions?

You're right, just stick with your cell phone. They take great stills, too.

More and more people are. Even some wedding photographers are switching over to cell phones now.

Exactly. So leave this dump behind and head on over to iPhoneRumors.com. When you deliver your wedding stills and 4K video shot with a smartphone to the bride and she punches you in the face then sues for damages, don't blame us.

Have a nice life!

I laughed too. However, I made the mistake and googled "iphone wedding photography", it is a bit scary. The top link was an entire wedding shot with an iphone. The lack of subject isolation really starts to hurt my eyes after a while. And if the iphone wasn't enough, post processing with instagram for the final touch... ouch!

Be sure to follow that up with "8 Essential Tips For Beautiful iPhone Wedding Photography".
My guess is, he doesn't even know it is a fixed aperture lens. Users are taking pics wide open all the time. There is no stopping down to increase sharpness.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Not the right thread for this discussion, but since it's pretty much gone off the rails anyway...

One reason for the popularity and experimentation with iPhone photography at weddings and other events is because of the way Canon, Nikon and Sony have all utterly failed their customers by refusing to keep up with the explosion of social media.

I know the wedding photographers hate it when I say this, but brides will increasingly expect that at least a portion of their wedding pictures will be posted online to social media within minutes of the ceremony ending. Sorry, but that's the age we live and if you aren't prepared to adapt, you can expect that your competition will.

Go back and take another look at this presentation, which has previously been discussed before: https://youtu.be/bfCJDIf-NeA It is absolutely undeniable that the single greatest failure among all the camera manufacturers today has been their pathetic approach to internet connectivity. It's costing all professional photographers money and time and there is no excuse for it.

Okay, back to your regularly schedule discussion of really significant topics like dynamic range (And yes, that's a sarcastic comment)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
unfocused said:
Not the right thread for this discussion, but since it's pretty much gone off the rails anyway...

One reason for the popularity and experimentation with iPhone photography at weddings and other events is because of the way Canon, Nikon and Sony have all utterly failed their customers by refusing to keep up with the explosion of social media.

I know the wedding photographers hate it when I say this, but brides will increasingly expect that at least a portion of their wedding pictures will be posted online to social media within minutes of the ceremony ending. Sorry, but that's the age we live and if you aren't prepared to adapt, you can expect that your competition will.

Go back and take another look at this presentation, which has previously been discussed before: https://youtu.be/bfCJDIf-NeA It is absolutely undeniable that the single greatest failure among all the camera manufacturers today has been their pathetic approach to internet connectivity. It's costing all professional photographers money and time and there is no excuse for it.

Okay, back to your regularly schedule discussion of really significant topics like dynamic range (And yes, that's a sarcastic comment)
I agree....

Internet connectivity does suck from all brands.....

Very often at work I need to send pictures "back to the shop". It galls me to place the 7D on the ground, pick up an iPhone, take the picture, and send it back. Yes, it is "good enough", sometimes..... I would love to see a quality WiFi interface and the ability to dump the files back to a network drive...

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
However this seems like a camera that is geared heavily towards video yet it lacks the very basic 4k video that even most cell phones can do these days. I don't understand the logic here. Who would buy a such an expensive video camera that can't even handle basic resolutions?

More and more people are. Even some wedding photographers are switching over to cell phones now.

Exactly. So leave this dump behind and head on over to iPhoneRumors.com. When you deliver your wedding stills and 4K video shot with a smartphone to the bride and she punches you in the face then sues for damages, don't blame us.

Have a nice life!

I laughed too. However, I made the mistake and googled "iphone wedding photography", it is a bit scary. The top link was an entire wedding shot with an iphone. The lack of subject isolation really starts to hurt my eyes after a while. And if the iphone wasn't enough, post processing with instagram for the final touch... ouch!

Be sure to follow that up with "8 Essential Tips For Beautiful iPhone Wedding Photography".

Did the "iPhone wedding" include free tats and nose-pins to commemorate the event?

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
unfocused said:

You raise a good point, but I've been moving towards implementing sports photography techniques for weddings. In such a situation it's not hard to have a laptop and remote wifi connection (such as the Jetpacks my paper uses) or even just stop at a Starbucks/McDonalds afterwards to process out a few pictures and get them to the client. I don't think there's any in-camera wifi feature that would satisfy me if I knew I could carefully process them and export them in Lightroom instead of throwing up .jpgs.

Upvote 0

beforeEos Camaras

love to take photos.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2014
lucuias said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:
neuroanatomist said:
nightscape123 said:

Have a nice life!

With a good light and nice environment,No doubt my Samsung note4 does deliver a beautiful video.Though it has some limitation when :-
-Needs of shallow depth of field
-Interchangeable lens
-low light
-battery life

Combining using DSLR on monopod and slider while my Samsung note 4 attached on a hand held gimbal for movement and wide and shot,I belief my bride's won't even aware that was taken with Samsung note 4.
really you dreaming I have the note 4 it takes passable video in a pinch not for something like a wedding

Upvote 0
unfocused said:

Some brides do and some don't. Some don't want to be online at all, and they put that into their contract. For the ones that want their photos on social media within minutes, there are wedding guests and family members happy to saturate social media instantly. You haven't notice this?

I haven't heard of any clients demanding photos online "within minutes" from their pro wedding photographer. So I don't see that as some big failing for camera makers. Most wedding photographers provide some preview photos within a few days anyway. Some go so far as to provide a "same day edit". Some even do a same day slideshow — and show the pics at the reception!

That said, I can transfer pics from my Canons to my phone and to social media pretty easily if I have to (but I don't have to).

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I don't shoot weddings but have many friends and colleagues who do and social media is not 'a thing' as the above poster stated, everyone else at the ceremony and reception is covering that. In fact my film shooting friends are getting more and more business than ever. Oh and for the record, this is Northern Utah, no shortage of wedding work.

Upvote 0
Re: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

Tugela said:
rrcphoto said:
Tugela said:
Consider this graphic:
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Infographics-2015-1920_1080-700x394.jpg
In particular, the part showing the MILC bubble increasing on a yearly basis against the DSLR bubble. That is where the future is going. The really high end DSLRs are probably keeping their market share, but the low end ones are not. Those consumers are slowly seeping off into the MILC market.
except it doesn't take into account Sony going from 11% DSLR markethshare in 2013 to like .. almost 0% marketshare.

The DSLR market has shrunk a lot more than 11% since 2013. It dropped 9% in 2015 alone. Even if the entire Sony DSLR market evaporated, Canikon lost even more.

MILC sales on the other hand are slowly increasing at the same time DSLRs are tanking.

Percentage of MILC sales normalized against DSLRs:
2013: 23.1%
2014: 30.1%
2015: 34.4%

See a trend? This is only going to continue, and the sluggish tech advancements Canikon are making relative to what we see in MILCs sure as hell is not going to reverse that trend.

I'm not sure where this data come from & what "normalized against DSLRs" means? The CIPA data shows that for 2015 the total of all non-reflex shipments (mostly mirrorless cameras) represented only 25% of all interchangeable lens cameras. DSLR's account for the other 75%. The world is not uniform in its adoption of mirrorless. In Japan mirrorless is 40% of all ILC while in the U.S. mirrorless is a far less relevant 17%. For 2016 CIPA forecasts a 5.3% drop in all ILC's and 7.8% drop in lenses for ILC's. For the public they don't split that out as DSLR vs. non-reflex, but even if it is all DSLR it means DSLR's will remain the major factor in 2016..

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Refurb7 said:
unfocused said:

Some brides do and some don't. Some don't want to be online at all, and they put that into their contract. For the ones that want their photos on social media within minutes, there are wedding guests and family members happy to saturate social media instantly. You haven't notice this?

I haven't heard of any clients demanding photos online "within minutes" from their pro wedding photographer. So I don't see that as some big failing for camera makers. Most wedding photographers provide some preview photos within a few days anyway. Some go so far as to provide a "same day edit". Some even do a same day slideshow — and show the pics at the reception!

That said, I can transfer pics from my Canons to my phone and to social media pretty easily if I have to (but I don't have to).

From what I've seen (daughters and nieces weddings), smartphones seem to have replaced the disposable cameras people use to hand out at weddings, not the photographer. This gives the wedding party some instant photos to share and some really high quality photos later.

The photographer (and 2 B roll shooters, all 1Ds) for my daughter's destination wedding had images ready to review in two days (before they finished the honeymoon) so they/we were able to review and select images before we all headed home. We did an extended family portrait session the day before the wedding as well. As the host, I left my cameras in their case for the three day event so I could focus on our guests and the events. Chatted briefly with the photographer (5DM3s) that shot my niece's wedding, but didn't bother to get out my gear even though it was in the car. Both photographers posted images online for family members to purchase prints (don't think anyone other than the couple and parents did). Eventually they sold us the original images from the family and wedding shoots for a flat fee. We got some great photos that no smartphone could produce.

Other folks got out their DSLRs and smartphones at both events. Lots of photos posted on their facebook timelines - no need for me to get involved. Decided to enjoy the events with family instead.

Upvote 0
CapturingLight said:
This looks like a great upgrade to my t4i. A few requests for speculation ;)

The rumor states:
Four of the AF area selection modes, including a new “L zone AF”
Any guesses as to what modes these are? Does anyone think that spot af may be one of these? As for L zone is that likely to describe the shape and how would that be useful?

I am a little disappointed by the lack of mention of GPS, with Wifi and NFC does anyone think that Cannon would do something crazy like pull GPS info from your phone to attach to the photo?

My guess on the 4 AF modes is Single point, Small Zone, Large Zone and 45pt mode. The L zone almost certainly means Large Zone as was introduced on the 7D2 and now on 1DX2. The 70D had the 7Ds AF point array but didn't have spot or any expansion modes.

The mention of 27 f/8 points has me excited as my favourite combo on the 7D2 is 100-400II+1.4TCIII. I've never owned a XXD series camera but I think I may have to try this one out to see if it could replace the 7D2. 24MPs and 27 f/8 points interest me a lot compared to the 7D2. The question is will I miss the AF selection joystick, will I miss the extra FPS, and will I miss the AF 9pt expansion mode which I use most of the time on my other cameras...?? Also will the back buttons be as customizable as with the 7D2?? I guess only time will tell but the 80D is on my radar and may be something fun to play with before the 1DX2 arrives.........

Upvote 0
Famateur said:
Canon produces a successor to an amateur/enthusiast camera with (rumored) specs that give some pleasing -- and even significant -- enhancements, and some react as if they'd just been cheated out of their life savings!

+1000

I really don't understand some of the bickering here ???.

Does anybody remember the 30D, which was announced ~18 months after the (successful) 20D?
All the 30D had going for it was a larger LCD at the back, some software tweaks ... and that's it.
Now that was a lame update.

But the 70D was a solid update over the 60D and now the 80D is a solid update vs the 70D.

I have the 70D and my only gripe with it has been the low light focusing - which the 80D addresses with -3EV focusing.
Better DR has been on my wishlist and the 80D will likely have it (if it shares sensor tech with the 1DXII).
The extra AF points, anti-flicker mode, better viewfinder, etc. are all welcome improvements.

Overall, I feel that the 80D is a very solid update over the 70D.

I'm not disappointed at all that the 80D doesn't have 4K video.
My guess is that Canon is just reserving this feature for the 6DII and 5DIV for better product differentiation.

But isn't Apple and everyone else doing the exact same thing?
Why does the cheaper iPhone-6 have a smaller screen than more expensive iPhone-6s ???.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune

ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
Here are detailed specs of the camera:
http://digicame-info.com/2016/02/eos-80d-3.html

Looks like serious meh, a camera that should have been made 2 years back to compete with Nikon D7100. Today this camera is serious piece of garbage being dumped by Canon after snuffing drugs.
70D handily beat D7100 in almost every area. You can just buy 70D and save the money if that is all you need.
Check this great Michael epic shootout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOM4r1gxsbs
No 4K video
No Dual Sd Slots
No UHS-II compatibility
No USB 3.x
No Af linked spot metering

I see no reason to upgrade from 70D, I primarily shoot macro and Af upgrades are useless to me.
Fair enough. Even for users asking for more DR, can go with ML and gain some of it without upgrading to 80d. But you assertion of 80d competing with d7100 is not correct. 70d itself proved to be better than d7100 based on lot of parameters. Except dpr where they declared d7100 best crop camera over every other crop camera including 7d2. That being said other than poor live view AF and 1 raw file buffer, there is nothing much to differentiate them.
Overall IQ from Nikon D7x00 is definitely better than equivalent Canon Eosx0D. Also in case of 80D reading the rumoured specs it feels like Canon is purposfully holding it back to protect its 7D markII. In this price range many cameras are doing 4K for two years now and I know a lot of youtubers who got rid of their canon bodies in favour of GH4. Even I wanted 4K as when I am out in field I can shoot videos of animals(amphibians, insects and reptiles) and crop in post if I wasnt able to get closer to subjects.
Another complaint that I have with 60/70/80D is that D-Pad is too low and it isnt too comfortable to change af points. Position of D Pad on Nikons D7x00 feels a lot better. If Canon would have mkved that D-Pad upwards by 1/2" it would be ergonomically better.
Agree with you about overall IQ between D7X00 and D5x00 vs Canon equivalents. I think they are always going to be shade better considering small sensor differences and DR. DPR/Rishi summarised some where about these IQ differences between Nikon and Canon and Sony crop cameras. They are pretty good at studio tests and IQ determination.

Hopefully Canon is going to close DR differences. I do not know much about GH4. But stills you might have a problem with smaller sensor compared to Canon and Nikon crop sensors. I guess Samsung is the one made big breakthrough in terms of proper video quality but they ended up closing shop. I heard Sony video quality from crop sensor is also crap for serious users.

Regarding changing focus points, I use wheel to move side to side and D-pad to move it up and down. I am just very basic rebel user. Upgraded to 70D when Canon did deep discount sale. Grabbed 10-18mm and 55-250 STM lens in similar circumstances. For serious users, D-pad might be a problem

Any idea on HD video shooting feature on 80d. We might also see better video quality from 80D. Frankly best thing Canon does is, these amazing sales on refurbs once in awhile.
Thanks to metabones and other speedbooster adaptors the small sensor of micro 4/3 didn't make too much difference for people who are shooting under controlled situation. For video shooters on Sony platform they either have to get A7s series or upgrade all the way up to their FS series of cameras. Even though on paper their A6x00 camera and others offer good video features, overall video quality is not upto mark.I know a couple of filmmakers from my part of the world who first started SLR video thanks to Canons 5D mark II but were put off by this Canon's stupidity of protecting their expensive cameras and have all now shifted to Panasonic Gh4, and Sony A7s for their video needs. Even if Canon improves the IQ on their cameras, their backward mentality of protecting expensive cameras is becoming a real pain in rearside and putting off a lot of users.
Nice pics. There is hope for better video quality. Canon actually talked down video quality of 5DS. But there are users who claimed 5DS 1080p is better than any Canon DSLR.
Thanks, that frog photos was shot with my friends D7200. And there are situation like those where those Dual SD slots are lifesaver for us. I really hope that for Canon's sake 4K video for 80D is just firmware limitation which Canon can lift later on.
Someone called Paul on POTN, makes amazing macro pics with 70D. You should check out 70D thread on that website.
Will check it out, on flickr there are photographers named Kurt Orionmystery(canon 70D and 40D) and Irass(Nikon) you should check their work as well. I cannot upload most of my photos as they are taken with scientific expeditions and unless publications are done I am bound not to share the pics.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010

neuroanatomist said:
Also consider – we've seen Canon's 'sluggish' advancements in mirrorless, one line of bodies and a handful of lenses. Without really trying, Canon is in 3rd for MILC market share. So if the trend continues and mirrorless becomes the major segment of ILCs, it seems quite likely that Canon would shift resources and simply continue their domination of the ILC market.

Indeed, this is what Thom Hogan, a big-time Nikon supporter, concludes after analyzing sales data from Japan:

"One thing that is clear from the data is that Canon responds to any and all competition. They don’t like being #2, let alone something worse. Don’t expect them to sit still for anything competitors are doing."
- http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/what-do-the-bcn-numbers.html

Regardless of what DXOMark and DPReview say, Canon market shares are not affected one bit... and this has been going on and on since Sony made big strides in CMOS sensor technology several years ago. We ought to seriously think about that: are Canon photographic products as bad as what DXOMark and DPReview claim or are the latter 2 reviewers nit-picking and highly biased?

Also, despite all the acclaim they received for their A7 and A6000 families, Sony suffered a 10% decline in the their MILC market share in Japan, while Olympus, still limping from their 2011 accounting scandal, enjoyed a 10% surge. Goes to show that putting out great camera bodies and sensors are not enough to attract the MILC crazed market in Japan.

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014

Tugela said:
rrcphoto said:
Tugela said:
Consider this graphic:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Infographics-2015-1920_1080-700x394.jpg

In particular, the part showing the MILC bubble increasing on a yearly basis against the DSLR bubble. That is where the future is going. The really high end DSLRs are probably keeping their market share, but the low end ones are not. Those consumers are slowly seeping off into the MILC market.
except it doesn't take into account Sony going from 11% DSLR markethshare in 2013 to like .. almost 0% marketshare.

The DSLR market has shrunk a lot more than 11% since 2013. It dropped 9% in 2015 alone. Even if the entire Sony DSLR market evaporated, Canikon lost even more.

MILC sales on the other hand are slowly increasing at the same time DSLRs are tanking.

Percentage of MILC sales normalized against DSLRs:
2013: 23.1%
2014: 30.1%
2015: 34.4%

See a trend? This is only going to continue, and the sluggish tech advancements Canikon are making relative to what we see in MILCs sure as hell is not going to reverse that trend.

No, I don't see the trend you have concluded.
In last 3 years 3, 3.1 and 3.2 million mirrorless cameras were sold. This is hardly a trend towards mirrorless. This tells me that mirrorless market has virtually plateaued.
On the other hand it is true that DSLR market is declining. There is no reason to conclude that this is happening because of there is a trend towards mirrorless; because there is none. Most likely reason (there are many) for this decline is that the DSLR market is mature. Existing products are excellent. Most people who have bought DSLR in last 4-5 years are unlikely to upgrade, they are happy with what they are using. There is a huge old camera market too. On the other hand mirrorless cameras are still trying to overcome some of their inherent drawbacks, they are making people buy new versions every 6-18 months. Even then 3 times more DSLR is sold compared to mirrorless.

If we follow you line of logic then we will have to say that ILC cameras are eating up P&S market which is hardly the case.

One more thing needs to be considered. Talking about market share we have been talking about new cameras sold, not the percent of people using DSLR vs mirrorless. As mirrorless is relatively new in the market, it is highly likely that overwhelming majority of ILC is users are currently using DSLR, probably 99% of all ILC users.

Upvote 0

Woody said:
neuroanatomist said:
Also consider – we've seen Canon's 'sluggish' advancements in mirrorless, one line of bodies and a handful of lenses. Without really trying, Canon is in 3rd for MILC market share. So if the trend continues and mirrorless becomes the major segment of ILCs, it seems quite likely that Canon would shift resources and simply continue their domination of the ILC market.

Indeed, this is what Thom Hogan, a big-time Nikon supporter, concludes after analyzing sales data from Japan:

"One thing that is clear from the data is that Canon responds to any and all competition. They don’t like being #2, let alone something worse. Don’t expect them to sit still for anything competitors are doing."
- http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/what-do-the-bcn-numbers.html

Regardless of what DXOMark and DPReview say, Canon market shares are not affected one bit... and this has been going on and on since Sony made big strides in CMOS sensor technology several years ago. We ought to seriously think about that: are Canon photographic products as bad as what DXOMark and DPReview claim or are the latter 2 reviewers nit-picking and highly biased?

Also, despite all the acclaim they received for their A7 and A6000 families, Sony suffered a 10% decline in the their MILC market share in Japan, while Olympus, still limping from their 2011 accounting scandal, enjoyed a 10% surge. Goes to show that putting out great camera bodies and sensors are not enough to attract the MILC crazed market in Japan.

Well maybe Sony should start putting out great camera bodies, because their camera bodies have not been great. Their sensors are great. The camera bodies leave a lot to be desired. Other than the sensor, the camera bodies are good for smallness. For usability, handling, viewfinders, autofocus, menus, startup time, battery life, lens system, flash, etc., not so great. On top of that, they're very pricey for what you get.

Upvote 0