UPDATED: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
RustyTheGeek said:
K said:
If all bodies were compatible to all lenses 100% - it would be a very, very different camera industry. Without being tied down to a collection of proprietary glass - anyone could shop any body - and this kind of competition would drive newer tech and features much more rapidly. Bodies would be much more capable than they are today and less expensive too. It would also force innovation in order to stand out. Features that exist today and now, but that are just a dream for DSLR's would probably already be incorporated.

Something we take for granted with most of these camera bodies is RELIABILITY. If the camera industry was as you wish above, totally committed to lightning fast adoption of bleeding edge technology before the competition, the cameras would suffer from the same problems of reliability and failure as computer, networking and smartphones do. It has been normal for over 20 years now for most of these products to ship ASAP with beta or incomplete buggy firmware/software with the intention of fixing it later via a firmware or software update.

Personally I am very glad that cameras are usually more solid and reliable out of the box and I believe this is due to the slower adoption of the newest technology. The emphasis still seems to be on delivering a new product that can stand on its own and a future firmware will merely make minor adjustments as issues are discovered and fixed. We all complain about it but I think many times it is for the best.

In essence, I would rather have a new camera with 10 new great features that are dependable and work to expectations rather than have 18 new great features, half of which disappoint and cause problems that I can't endure.

Reliability. THIS.

Thank you Rusty, as that seems to be something which is overlooked here quite a bit.

Upvote 0
slclick said:
RustyTheGeek said:
K said:
If all bodies were compatible to all lenses 100% - it would be a very, very different camera industry. Without being tied down to a collection of proprietary glass - anyone could shop any body - and this kind of competition would drive newer tech and features much more rapidly. Bodies would be much more capable than they are today and less expensive too. It would also force innovation in order to stand out. Features that exist today and now, but that are just a dream for DSLR's would probably already be incorporated.

Something we take for granted with most of these camera bodies is RELIABILITY. If the camera industry was as you wish above, totally committed to lightning fast adoption of bleeding edge technology before the competition, the cameras would suffer from the same problems of reliability and failure as computer, networking and smartphones do. It has been normal for over 20 years now for most of these products to ship ASAP with beta or incomplete buggy firmware/software with the intention of fixing it later via a firmware or software update.

Personally I am very glad that cameras are usually more solid and reliable out of the box and I believe this is due to the slower adoption of the newest technology. The emphasis still seems to be on delivering a new product that can stand on its own and a future firmware will merely make minor adjustments as issues are discovered and fixed. We all complain about it but I think many times it is for the best.

In essence, I would rather have a new camera with 10 new great features that are dependable and work to expectations rather than have 18 new great features, half of which disappoint and cause problems that I can't endure.
Reliability. THIS.

Thank you Rusty, as that seems to be something which is overlooked here quite a bit.

Thanks. In addition, I would also prefer to Pay $1200 for a body instead of $800 for the same body with more whizz-bang features than the competition at a better price. Why? Because I want Canon to be motivated by an obligation to deliver a quality product with a reasonable margin of profit built in, not a motivation to cram as many features into the cheapest product with a tiny margin of profit that must be made up with high volume. Or worse! Planned obsolescence. We also take for granted that we can pick up that old 30D, 40D or older camera and it will still work, still take great pictures and still be compatible with even the newest lenses. DSLR cameras are built to last as long as possible and still function perfectly. That's getting harder and harder to find anywhere these days, esp in technology devices.

Pray this philosophy never ends with DSLRs. That will truly end them for sure. Dependability, reliability and higher quality are all that set them apart from just about everything else that takes a picture.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
K said:

This was the logic behind the micro 4/3 consortium... yet most buy within their brand....

K said:
All that said, does Canon hold back on trickling down tech to lower models? A little.
Most of the time, new tech is released in lower models and finds it's way upwards, but even there, it's more a case of timing than anything else (faster release cycle). For instance, Digic6 first came out on a P/S camera, then to a rebel, and so on... The anti-flicker came out on the 7D2 and has been on every camera afterwards...

If new features were a trickle-down affair, then the 1DX series would have the shortest release cycle and nothing would change to the lesser cameras between releases... plus, there would be no functions on rebels that were not on the 1DX

Likewise, many forum members talk about "protecting" the sales of higher end cameras, but the reality is that it the lower end cameras, with their vastly large sales numbers, that keep the company profitable. A more reasonable premise is that Canon has identified several needs and is trying to produce the best possible camera for those use/price points... after all, they care far less about if the user buys a 5D3 or a 7D2 than they care about if the user buys a 7D2 or a D500...

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
At the end of the day this is a pretty solid upgrade. We can do the DSLR vs MILC argument all day, but if OVF is your thing then there is little not to like about the 80D.

Just about every spec and feature has been improved. Importantly, better sensor and better AF. And great updates like GPS, timelapse, and numerous other tweeks.

Of course the lack of 4K might be a deal breaker for some. I am disappointed by that myself. But that is just about it. In about every other regard there is little to complain about.

Now that said, is it enough for me to want to replace my 70D? I am certainly in the market for a new camera and have been waiting to see what Canon announced. I was hoping for a 6DMKII or even a 5DMKIV before the spring and that would have probably been my most likely upgrade path.

But I also like taking advantage of the crop factor of APS-C for wildlife and other 'long range' uses. At the price point the 80D is launched at, the 7DMKII is only fractionally more expensive. And I have thought about that. I like the big viewfinder and the AF tracking (I do some BIF). But I don't like the lack of features the 80D and 70D have like wifi, swivel screen. And the PQ improvements of the 7DMKII over the 70D are negligible. Whereas hopefully with the 80D it will be more significant.

So some decisions to make... over the coming months. I don't want to keep swapping cameras, so if I buy something now I want at least a couple of years out of it before upgrading again. So...

I am happy to spend around £2.5k on a couple of new bodies over the course of the year - so am thinking
Replace 70D with 80D or 7DMKII
6DMKII + 80D or 7DMKII
6DMKII + A6300 (and reuse my canon lenses on it) would be an interesting pairing giving me more options like 4k. Buy the A6300 now, keep the 70D, then replace that with the 6DMKII
Just be patient and get a 5DMKIV and be done with it... (but will it have all the 80D features I like, wifi, touchscreen)

Man, don't you just hate camera manufacturers for giving you so much choice, but when so often choosing one means gaining some features, only to lose others in the process... I know, just buy them all

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
lw said:
Man, don't you just hate camera manufacturers for giving you so much choice, but when so often choosing one means gaining some features, only to lose others in the process... I know, just buy them all
I know the feeling.... If I won the lottery, the first stop would be at a camera shop where a 600F4 and a 5DS R would be liberated..... we have lots of great choices out there...

Upvote 0
Woody said:
The specs of 80D are tempting me to return to the world of APS-C. I find the lightweight and optically excellent trio EF-S combo very attractive: 10-18, 18-55 & 55-250. Throw in the 100 mm macro and Sigma 30 f/1.4 lens, and that will be all I need.
If Cannon improves 18-135 IQ in the new design , it has set of lens (10-18mm, 18-135mm and 55-250mm) covering from 10mm to 250mm with very nice IQ. All we need is crop equivalent of 35mm f2 IS.

Upvote 0

kdsand

Newt II a human stampede
Nov 1, 2011
north west indiana
Re: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

CanonFanBoy said:
nhz said:
CanonFanBoy said:
insanitybeard said:
nhz said:
wow, those fanboys are funny :)

just for the record, my company worked as an OEM in imaging technology development with Canon; even though that is some years ago, I probably know a lot more about Canon technology, production and marketing than you.

What's equally funny is that you seem to have come here to bash Canon whilst dangling a 'I know Canon better than you' carrot whilst offering no further insight. If you've got an objective argument to make, fair enough. But with the drivel you've posted so far, I guess not. Or have you?

Besides the fact that if it "was some years ago" he now knows absolutely nothing simply due to the rate technology changes.
the rate of technology changes at Canon? That was funny ::)
Saying it doesn't quickly change is just foolish. Canon is constantly updating cameras and lenses. What was the name of "your" company? You did say it was "your" company some years ago, right?

That's like me saying, "I worked with IBMs mainframe computer line back in 1981. Though that was some years ago (35 years), I probably know a lot more about IBM technology, production and marketing than you.

Let me clue you in: A guy making a widget has no idea what marketing is doing or planing. The guy supplying the paint for the magnesium body of the camera doesn't know crap about the inner working of the camera or how it is going to be marketed. Canon goes to the paint supplier and says give me this and here are the specs we want you to meet. Period.

Don't be stupid. It's sort of like being the name dropper at a party. You don't know crap.

You won't name "your" company or the product either. Even if you do (maybe you produced the mirror box), that has nothing to do with you having some inside knowledge of Canon's marketing strategy, production techniques (except for maybe "your" product), or any in depth knowledge of Canon's technology.

Hell, I used to work for a company and we produced printed circuit boards for the MX ICBM Nuke Missile. I wouldn't claim to know anything at all about the finished product.

I get it. You are an expert. An expert is nothing more than a drip under pressure. ::)

"I used to work for a company that produced the prism so I know more than you about Canon's technology, production, and marketing than you." PALEEEEZE!!!! :eek:Yeah & my dad can beat up your dad :eek:

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Now if they would just give us the full size. But it does look good. That they are willing to post iso 12800 samples is itself a good sign. see http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/special/80d/photos.html http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/lineup/80d/image-sample.html

iso 12800
photo27.jpg

iso 6400
photo11.jpg

iso 4000
photo09.jpg

iso 6400
easy-02.jpg

Upvote 0

tlieser

pixels don't make a picture
Feb 16, 2016
Vienna
thomas-lieser.smugmug.com
lw said:
Now if they would just give us the full size. But it does look good. That they are willing to post iso 12800 samples is itself a good sign. see http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/special/80d/photos.html http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/lineup/80d/image-sample.html

The ISO6400 Looks good enough to me!

Upvote 0
tlieser said:
The manuals in pdf form can be found here:

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-80d.aspx?type=manuals&language=
I took a look though the manual some very exciting suff for someone coming from a t4i. Here are a few things I noticed that I believe are new to XXD line that were not mentioned in the spec list:
  • AF point auto switching p.411
  • Initial AF point, AI Servo AF p.411
  • Auto AF point selection: Color Tracking p. 411
  • Exposure Compensation with ISO Auto p. 197 (I know I have seen this on a few members wish lists)
  • Tuning of Auto ISO shutter speed algorithm p.153 (Something that looks very useful to me. I may actually try Auto ISO again with this camera)

Upvote 0

tlieser

pixels don't make a picture
Feb 16, 2016
Vienna
thomas-lieser.smugmug.com
midluk said:
Those features sound like I really want to replace my 70D with an 80D (assuming the DR improvements are really as huge as they are rumored).
Do GAS masks help against this desire? 8)

I'm glad I waited for the 80D (my 50D is in urgent need of replacement) -- it looks like it's just the right update from the 70D (and in a way from the 7DMK2 -- I guess the 7DMK3 will be a killer, but a bit too expensive for me).
Anyway -- from a 50D it's a jump ahead of light years :D ;

Upvote 0