Why aren’t there more Canon EOS R5 leaks?

The update from @Canon Rumors Guy is very interesting:

Update: I have heard from a few people since this post, and apparently Canon Rumors has caused some stress at a few Canon subsidiaries. One person did tell us that the rumored Canon EOS R5 specifications are very close to 100% correct, but a few things are off. I did receive further confirmation that 8K is there though.
We should hear more tonight/tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well, after posting this I received some contact from a few people.

Apparently, I pissed off Canon USA something fierce and all product briefing material was not sent out to the usual retailers and salespeople.

I expect we're going to hear something tonight.

Not just Canon USA! I was at a 1DX3 preview last week and when I asked my local rep about R5/R6, he fired back "Stop reading Canon Rumors!".

I think they're mad about the leaks stealing thunder (and maybe sales) from their flagship 1DX3 release.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I disagree. Unless you have a need for ultra fast AF for action, adapted EF lenses work perfectly well on the Sony bodies.
No.

I personally used Canon glass on a Sony A7 III for a few months, and it was a mess. One time even in daylight conditions I was using a Canon 70-200 2.8 II shooting a crowd (plenty of contrast, good lighting, not fast action) and the autofocus just fell on its face. It just wouldn't focus. I forget if I was using the Metabones adapter or Sigma at that point, I tried both at certain times.

The idea that EF glass on Sony bodies "works fine" is pretty much a myth. It's a miracle at all that three different manufacturer's products work together with each other, but ultimately it's far from a good experience or anything I would want to use professionally.

Upvote 0

Jemlnlx

Itchy shutter finger...
CR Pro
Specs seem impressive. I wonder what the price will be?! Any guesses?

Those specs would warrant some serious $$, but depending on their strategy, Canon may price it "affordable" ($3000-$3500) to appeal to Nikon/Sony users as well as Canon users contemplating jumping ship. (Wishful thinking...)

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Doesn't canon usually wait till after nikon announcements - waiting for the Nikon D6 noise to settle.
Honestly I don't see a lot of Nikon D6 noise. When the 1Dx III was officially out, relevant media outlets already had content produced and right now pretty much all I'm seeing about the D6 is Nikon's own product shots and sample photos. And if the R5 is anywhere close to what's rumored no one will care about a D6 anyways.

Upvote 0
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
So if July launch is correct, we can assume the R5 and R6 will arrive/launch/ship/release together? That makes a lot more sense to me. Development announcement is just fine. Hopefully it will be for BOTH cameras, cuz it would at least be nice to have a bit more clarity on where the R6 fits into the line up
This would be nice, will be a lot easier to be patient until July knowing the specs on the R6.

Upvote 0
Well, after posting this I received some contact from a few people.

Apparently, I pissed off Canon USA something fierce and all product briefing material was not sent out to the usual retailers and salespeople.

I expect we're going to hear something tonight.

That’s what they get for dragging their feet in the mirrorless realm. Come on Canon, we all know what you’re capable of. Stop ****ing around and get us some cameras.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
That’s what they get for dragging their feet in the mirrorless realm. Come on Canon, we all know what you’re capable of. Stop ****ing around and get us some cameras.
They played everything pretty smart. Most internals, wifi, CFexpress, have transitioned to new generations. Most mirriorless camera internals prior to 2016 are pretty much dated now. CFexpress bus runs circles around SD cards and XQD cards also. Smartphones have caused camera manufacturers to rethink their strategy of concentrating solely on the "sensor" and AF algorithms, as cameras have become niche products.

Upvote 0
Update: I have heard from a few people since this post, and apparently Canon Rumors has caused some stress at a few Canon subsidiaries.
In one sense, Rumors sites that share 'leaked" details do a favor to Corporations by revealing that someone in their circle of trust can't be trusted.
At the same time, I wouldn't want to be Canon Rumors Guy and deal with the heat from a big company like Canon.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Doesn't canon usually wait till after nikon announcements - waiting for the Nikon D6 noise to settle.
The D6 made zero noise. Nikon snuck out the announcement in the middle of the night with no warning. It looks like a D5 with more connectivity, and fewer AF points. Jared Pollin trashed it pretty harshly.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
It will be here before you know it. You've obviously had that 60 for years. A few months for a camera you will have for many years more isn't so bad ;-)
My thoughts exactly, the next body I buy will probably be with me for at least 5yrs. But seeing that I finally have the money saved up, I am getting anxious. And honestly a bit worried about final specs and pricing on the R6. I’ll probably be nervous until confirmation. What I am fearing is if the Z6 or A7III goes on a big sale between now and R6 confirmation. Then I don’t know what I’ll do.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I think they're mad about the leaks stealing thunder (and maybe sales) from their flagship 1DX3 release.

There should be little to no issue there. Two completely different cameras for two different jobs. I dont see how a 1DX3 buyer would get thrown off by the R5 or R6 whatsoever

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
It had to be expected. Mirrorless is future.

Honestly, video hype aside, as a photographer I didn't find the 1DX iii to be all that compelling vs the 1DX ii. I was contemplating jumping to Sony's A9 until I heard about this R5. Canon should be thankful for rumors sites like this that keep current owners invested a little bit more.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0