Canon EOS RP to cost $1599? [CR1]

[...]
If everything turns out true, the price difference between the downsized EOS R version called EOS RP and the A7 III which is loved by critics would be only $200. Oh man.

I thought about purchasing a Sony 7 24 MPix model 2nd hand to reuse my FD lenses for fun. But staying in the Canon system @ just 1500 EUR for a camera which is fully compatible with my lenses and gives me a control ring around my lenses (mostly primes) is absolutely welcome if it turns out true. So no complaints here.

And cameras do not have to be loved by critics but by photographers!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
How many new entry level FF cameras were sold for 1600? I mean "new price" not heavily discounted prices after so many years of release, like A7 series.

Didn't the original 12MP 5D (mark 1) launch with an RRP of $1600?
From memory (and the price tag I paid), it was £1600 in the UK, and there is usually a 1:1 £ vs $ conversion for imports such as this.
But this was back in 2005 (??)

Upvote 0
I hope they will give the eos rp some interesting feature, like they did with the m50 that had some nice features over the m5.
Perhaps better tuning to low light (like original 6D) --or-- removing AA filter will make it more attractive for the new buyers and/or current EOS owners including EOS-R.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Wasn't the original A7 around that price? Part of its success was that it was significantly lower priced than the competition.

Yes, but they also had a cheap 28-70 kit lens to make the whole package affordable. Seems that the only bundle being suggested right now is with the RF 24-105 which isn't a cheap lens at all.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Take a look at the Tony Northrop early review of the Panasonic before getting a hang dog look.(n)(n)

That review just reinforces a pattern I've noticed for years: other manufacturers might have better specs on paper but then there's the caveats. With Canon sometimes the paper specs disappoint, but the camera always and reliably hits those specs.

Overheating, fps with AF, color depth at max fps, etc. Canon just works.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
The rumor posts and discussion forums here are starting to remind me of Blackberry/Crackberry forums around 2012. Canon is clearly not innovating fast enough relative to competitors, but it's still making plenty of money and has significant market share. Reusing the 5DIV and 6DII sensors makes perfect economic sense, but these are 2-3 year old sensors already. Maybe these are stopgap products, but maybe not. Remember, Canon has a 4 year product cycle, if not longer, and as we've seen with the 5D series, 7D, 6D, 80D, etc., it will defend that product cycle at all costs. That means the bodies it's putting out now will be sold for 3-4 more years, at which point their sensors will be nearing 8 years old, in some cases. These sensors are already outclassed by competitors at launch. 3 years from now, Canon will still be selling the RP, with 4k30fps, with who knows what other handicaps. That's pretty crazy. Who is willing to bet against Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, etc. getting to 4k120 next year?

Nothing to do, of course, for those invested in Canon glass. And no need to panic. The pros will get their work done with the bodies they have, and the rest of us are just messing around.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Canon is a Honda of camera brands. Conservative extremely and reliable as it never brakes, goes well, good ergonomics moderately priced but looks outdated and never use any of latest tech or gizmos.
the VW golf sells well.
thought it is not a car automobile enthusiasts would get excited about.

i guess canon is now the VW of camera brands...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
The rumor posts and discussion forums here are starting to remind me of Blackberry/Crackberry forums around 2012. Canon is clearly not innovating fast enough relative to competitors, but it's still making plenty of money and has significant market share.

Allow me to repeat this:

"Canon — Initially a follower in film SLR, eventually a leader in autofocus SLR; then a follower in DSLR that again flipped to leader; then a follower in mirrorless which may be flipping to leader. Sense a pattern there? Canon isn't generally the first mover, but when they move they move. I think that anyone who underestimates the EOS M and whatever full frame mirrorless Canon decides to produce needs to rethink their position. I'd call Canon opportunistic and well managed. I wouldn't call them the innovator that's going to trigger the next changeover in camera designs by leading the way, but they are quick to understand when that changeover is occurring. Follower that becomes a Winner."
- http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/who-leads-who-follows-who.html

Recap: Minolta came up with the first autofocus SLR... but where are they now?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0